Solved screen freezes and regulator heats up

Hi guys,

this is my first project. After reading and reading I decided to cut one of my Wii, the process was fun and also the location of the U10. After I mounted some cheap regulators I tried to test them and these were the results.

The Wii turns on and I have component video, the USB is detected and the control too, the problem is that one of the regulators gets quite hot, the 1.15 volt one and then the screen freezes.

I want to know if it is a power problem although to be honest, I think I received what I paid for the regulators lol, I leave you images and some video.

I hope you can help me in this adventure.

Video link with the problem:

Attachments

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Can you provide a photo of the regulators?

I want to thank those who were interested in my problem, I was able to solve the case since I could remember that I had a card from the first models of the Wii.

I ran some cables and fed the Wii cut out with the other Wii and the result was fantastic. The Wii works seamlessly with all its functions.

thank you very much again.

A very important advice is never, never use cheap voltage regulators, that is waste of money and added problems.

I will wait for the power card to be available in the store or buy a better solution. I leave you some photos

Attachments

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
I want to thank those who were interested in my problem, I was able to solve the case since I could remember that I had a card from the first models of the Wii.

I ran some cables and fed the Wii cut out with the other Wii and the result was fantastic. The Wii works seamlessly with all its functions.

thank you very much again.

A very important advice is never, never use cheap voltage regulators, that is waste of money and added problems.

I will wait for the power card to be available in the store or buy a better solution. I leave you some photos
Yeah those regulators are infamous for getting major toasty (actually catching fire) and not outputting enough current in a stable fashion.

PTH08080 regulators are what we used to use for this before the PSU and PMS were mainstream. If you don't want to wait for the BB store restock, you could use them instead.

Yeah those regulators are infamous for getting major toasty (actually catching fire) and not outputting enough current in a stable fashion.

PTH08080 regulators are what we used to use for this before the PSU and PMS were mainstream. If you don't want to wait for the BB store restock, you could use them instead.
Yes, I was thinking of doing that. Do you think I could use this regulator PTH08000WAS instead of the PTH08080 ones?

This is the one I plan to buy PTH08000WAS

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
If you buy them from a genuine retailer like Digikey or Mouser, yeah the 8000 will do. Just don't buy them from any chinese sites, the vast majority of listings are shitty imitations that work as badly as the ones you've already tried.

If you buy them from a genuine retailer like Digikey or Mouser, yeah the 8000 will do. Just don't buy them from any chinese sites, the vast majority of listings are shitty imitations that work as badly as the ones you've already tried.
Yes, that's so true. In the end I settled on the PTH08080WAH as it has been used by many people and they are reliable. Thank you very much friend for the help. When I have it ready I will post my Wii portable in another thread to show the result. All the best