Question Screen for Wii Portable

Hi!

After digging up some money I am finally shopping for parts for my wii portable. Lately, I've been looking for displays for the portable and this one was recommended to me earlier for a portable gamecube. While the display looks great spec wise, one thing is problematic: the voltage input requirement. It says on aliexpress that the display requires a minimum of 9V to run correctly. Since the custom regulators only allow up to 5V for the display, how can I use this display for a wii portable? Also, are there any displays that would work better for the Wii that you would recommend?

Link to display: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/5-Digital-TFT-LCD-Module/465794691.html

Thanks!
Joe

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
Hi!

After digging up some money I am finally shopping for parts for my wii portable. Lately, I've been looking for displays for the portable and this one was recommended to me earlier for a portable gamecube. While the display looks great spec wise, one thing is problematic: the voltage input requirement. It says on aliexpress that the display requires a minimum of 9V to run correctly. Since the custom regulators only allow up to 5V for the display, how can I use this display for a wii portable? Also, are there any displays that would work better for the Wii that you would recommend?

Link to display: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/5-Digital-TFT-LCD-Module/465794691.html

Thanks!
Joe
This is a Dalian Good Display LCD. The driver board can be modified to work off 5V, and it's actually a pretty nice panel. Plus it supports VGA input (interlaced as well, unless they did changes to the firmware, but I find that hard to believe) and with the upcoming patches it will be a perfect fit for a Wii portable.

This is a Dalian Good Display LCD. The driver board can be modified to work off 5V, and it's actually a pretty nice panel. Plus it supports VGA input (interlaced as well, unless they did changes to the firmware, but I find that hard to believe) and with the upcoming patches it will be a perfect fit for a Wii portable.
Ok, great to hear! I was actually looking at your upcoming wii build and I noticed that you used an 800*480 screen and it looked gorgeous, even through the camera. Would you recommend that panel over this one? Also, are there any scaling issues on that screen since the resolution is 800*480 instead of 640*480?

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
Ok, great to hear! I was actually looking at your upcoming wii build and I noticed that you used an 800*480 screen and it looked gorgeous, even through the camera. Would you recommend that panel over this one? Also, are there any scaling issues on that screen since the resolution is 800*480 instead of 640*480?
Wii games work on 16:9 ratio as well, while most GC games can be forced to widescreen.
Honestly it is a matter of preferences. Both screens are good. For my build I decided to use a widescreen display mainly because of the case design, but generally I would prefer a 4:3 screen