Question Screen compatibility & gamecube breakout box

Shank

Staff member
Portables
Hi guys two questions:

Is this screen with this driver compatible with a wii mobo:
https://www.adafruit.com/product/1680
https://www.adafruit.com/product/2218

And secondly is there a guide to making a 4 gamecube slot breakout box that attaches via usb to the wii mobo?

Thanks
I would suggest doing more research. The Wii doesn't natively output HDMI video, so even if those two work together, you aren't gonna connect that to a Wii without converting the video (not recommended).

That screen and drive board are also extremely expensive. You can get ones just like it for cheaper in the BOM.

Ewhizz

I would suggest doing more research. The Wii doesn't natively output HDMI video, so even if those two work together, you aren't gonna connect that to a Wii without converting the video (not recommended).

That screen and drive board are also extremely expensive. You can get ones just like it for cheaper in the BOM.
I already have them I used in another project so just wondering if I could reuse it.
Thanks

BocuD

Portables
I already have them I used in another project so just wondering if I could reuse it.
Thanks
No. The controller chip used on the display driver you linked doesn't support scaling. That basically means you need to supply it with an exact 800x480 resolution signal, or it will not work. The Wii outputs a 640x480 signal which is then stretched by the display to get widescreen. I know that certain applications could theoretically output at up to 854x480, but this is never used (except in in the wii shop channel?!, I did some testing with a display based on the same controller ic and in the wii shop channel I had no issues lol). It comes down to the fact that this lcd/driver combo would only work with a pc or a raspberry pi, since I don't think there are any HDMI converters for the wii that output at 800x480.
As @Shank already mentioned, a screen from the bom would be cheaper and actually work.

Ewhizz

Okay thanks guys!
And still wondering about the 4 player GameCube adapter thing?
Thanks again

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Okay thanks guys!
And still wondering about the 4 player GameCube adapter thing?
Thanks again
It's easily possible with a USB 3.0 port and cable, but there are no guides for it that I know of. It's a simple enough task to not really need them. There's a pinout for the gamecube ports themselves if that's what you're asking about

It's of a gamecube daughter board, but the pins are the same on the Wii if looked at from below.

Ewhizz

Yes thanks! I basically won't it to be a detachable unit which has one cable and connects to the unit via USB allowing for 4 additional controllers. This looks like a diagram which would be helpful
Thanks