Question Screen Alternative?

GC64

Portables
No questions in the N64 section? Has N64 modding died already?

Anyway, about a year or two ago, I fried my old psone screen by powering it with a voltage too high, and I can't particularly afford another one.. That's why I ask, does anyone know any cheap alternatives that anyone has had experience with? Preferably a 5 inch or smaller is what I'm looking for. Also, around the same voltage of the psone screen would be ideal. Sorry if this has been asked already~
Thanks

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
If you look on ebay for a car backup screen, they can usually take around 7.4-12v, depending on the model, and they almost always have a composite video input. They're also really cheap, generally under 20$.

GC64

Portables
If you look on ebay for a car backup screen, they can usually take around 7.4-12v, depending on the model, and they almost always have a composite video input. They're also really cheap, generally under 20$.
Like this one for instance?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/381641760636
It takes 12v, so since it's the same as the n64 I would assume I'd be good. Concerning battery life, I have two 7.4v batteries with a total of 5000mah, so I think I should be good with a screen this?

cheese

Staff member
Yep, right on the money! You can also re-use the front bezel plastic in your portable with frankencasing to make the screen hole perfect, even if your dremel/cutting skills aren't the best :P

GC64

Portables
Yep, right on the money! You can also re-use the front bezel plastic in your portable with frankencasing to make the screen hole perfect, even if your dremel/cutting skills aren't the best :P
Perfect! One thing I'm unsure about though.. Does it or doesn't it take audio? I mean I can understand why it wouldn't being that it's a backup screen, but I don't see anything about audio specs (things you'd expect to see in description). It does feature right and left audio inputs in the image though, which is why I'm asking (Even though you might not own it, but it's worth asking just in case lol)

cheese

Staff member
They're actually a bit deceptive, it's got 2 video inputs (yellow and white) and then power (red). It's a pretty common thing between the cheap-o ebay screens.

GC64

Portables
They're actually a bit deceptive, it's got 2 video inputs (yellow and white) and then power (red). It's a pretty common thing between the cheap-o ebay screens.
I see that now that I look closer :/ (the red jack is a different shape). Well I'll manage getting another audio source then. Thanks :)

Shank

Staff member
Portables
If I remember correctly, some of those backup screens have trouble accepting the n64's video signals, and the video scrolls upward constantly. I think that's why @Doom had me bring my sillyscope to MGC.

I have no idea which ones do this or if there is a fix. @Gman makes n64 portables with small screens, so I bet he could give some recommendations

ShockSlayer

the real
Portables
please do not ask!!!! I will NOT respond
Any screen that takes composite should have no problem with the signal from the N64. There's nothing special about it.

Luke

Portables
Nah, I've definitely had some backup screens that worked with other composite signals but didn't work with the n64, and I remember others mentioning this as well, on bh and mr.

"Good ones" should be able to support any composite input.

As for Gman's recommendations, he has them all conveniently compiled right here! I upvote the 4" one. :D
http://bitbuilt.net/forums/index.php?threads/portablizing-bom.367/

Last edited:

Noah

retired
Portables
Yeah, sone of the ones I've bought from eBay have an odd line across the top with N64 but all other consoles I've tested are fine.

This one from amazon works great and has amazing video quality for $16. It's a real good deal if you've got prime as well. I see you're looking for 5 inches though so see if the seller has any different models. My box mine came in had various tick boxes for different sizes so you could always check and see.

ShockSlayer

the real
Portables
please do not ask!!!! I will NOT respond
I've still yet to ever encounter any of these problems. If you could post some of those screens so we know which ones are bad, that'd be great.

GC64

Portables
^ that would indeed be helpful, but I have another question relating to the matter. Since none of the screens have audio, I suppose I would have to buy a seperate audio system.. I mean I still have my old psone speakers, but the volume control on the pcb will no longer work.. Is there any way I can hook them up and use my own tact switches for the volume control? (Or any suggestions for a 3-5 inch screen with audio is open)

Shank

Staff member
Portables
@The Save State Gamer your link didn't work. Try to highlight a word, click the "link" button in the editing box, and paste the link there. That should show up.

GC64

Portables
I know of a good audio amplifier board (on amazon). It supports stereo audio, and takes voltages from 4.5 to 5.5 volts (I think). It doesn't use tactile switches to increase and decrease the volume though. There is a variable resistor on the board, and this controls output level. I used it in my last portable project, and it has worked quite well without deteriorating. It also has a good full output power, making the speaker I used (8 ohm resistance) deafeningly loud. If the wind is blowing, and you're outside with it, the speaker can easily be heard clearly. Link:

Looks like a good deal indeed, thanks. Seeing that it doesn't come with the speakers, I could just wire up my psone speakers right? (Sorry for getting off the topic of screens!)

GC64

Portables
I have a small update concerning the matter - I decided to take out my old and broken psone screen to analyze the problem again. Here's a video of what happens:

As you can see, the screen goes blurry with lines once at the opening, and once at the end of the video. The brightness controls work fine, however from what I can tell the audio does not. I have only one speaker hooked up (the left), but even turning it full blast does nothing. iirc, I powered 12 volts to the screen (idk why i did this) and that's what broke it. Fried for good?