Scalpers are out in force... As usual

Portables
3/4
Is it just me or does anyone else find that scalpers just kill the fun for everyone... Only a couple of hours in and already the Switch is selling on eBay upwards of $400 to $600. Same thing is happening with music tickets and such.

Sorry, just blowing off some steam. It's just sad IMO.

Noah

retired
Portables
People only scalp because there are others out there willing to pay the high price. Wasn't difficult for me to get a Switch earlier this morning, people are just inherently lazy and would rather pay a higher price than go wait in line.

Portables
3/4
Too true... I wish I could've preordered but they were all gone before I even realized it. I've been too busy with my trip to the hospital in Gainesville. Oh well, I'm sure there will be plenty soon and maybe even a bundle package. :-)

Eh, until they announch Monster Hunter XX for the switch I'm not convinced on buying it

Portables
Lol!
It's the fault of the consumer and the scalper essentially... Scalpers get a lot of money and consumers get their product their willing to pay a lot of money for... That's not how I roll though. I'm just gonna wait.

Luke

Portables
People only scalp because there are others out there willing to pay the high price. Wasn't difficult for me to get a Switch earlier this morning, people are just inherently lazy and would rather pay a higher price than go wait in line.
Idk about this,

I think there may very will be a few people that say, "I would rather pay several hundred dollars in order to not have to wait in a line, so I will wait and buy from a scalper on ebay",

but there are many others that have to pay a scalper not because they didn't want to wait in a line but because they missed the preorder, in part because scalpers will buy the units in bulk and deplete the supplies slightly quicker.

Shank

Staff member
Portables
Scalpers are opportunistic scum. Yea, its capitalism, and it's legal, but it doesn't make them any less of an asshole. But unfortunately, people continue to feed them. No, I didn't miss out on a switch, but scalpers have certainly made my life more difficuilt throughout the years.

fibbef

Wizardry V Completer
scalpers will buy the units in bulk and deplete the supplies slightly quicker
This. They're trying to offset the supply:demand ratio to their benefit. Happens anytime there's a product with a foreseeable demand. NES Classic? Airpods? Scalpers buy up as much as they can at MSRP and resell when the demand has caused the price on the secondhand market to skyrocket.
and it's legal
Scalping physical goods may be, but if I'm not mistaken, ticket scalping isn't. My best guess for that is because for any event there is a set number of admissions and it's easier for scalpers to snatch up a known percentage of available tickets.

It took me the longest time to realize that the guys at events holding "I need tickets" signs didn't actually need tickets.

ShockSlayer

the real
Portables
please do not ask!!!! I will NOT respond
Dealt with scalpers for TI4; tickets were $100, and were sold out instantly. My brother had to spend like $800ish to get two for both of us IIRC.

Doom

Modelrater
Estmemed Member
Portables
Always 1/2
Even the pro controllers are near $100 or so on eBay, despite it still mostly being in stock in stores.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
I bought one of the teal Pokemon 2DS sets and decided afterward that I'd prefer a New3DS, so I went to sell the 2DS and all the fucking scalpers kept trying to buy it for half what I was selling it for. "It's not worth any more" they'd tell me, while having the same thing up on their own store pages for up to $300. A stark markup from the $170 RRP.

Doom

Modelrater
Estmemed Member
Portables
Always 1/2
I bought one of the teal Pokemon 2DS sets and decided afterward that I'd prefer a New3DS, so I went to sell the 2DS and all the fucking scalpers kept trying to buy it for half what I was selling it for. "It's not worth any more" they'd tell me, while having the same thing up on their own store pages for up to $300. A stark markup from the $170 RRP.
Reminds me of two irritating eBay stories, one where I was selling and one as a bidder.

I was selling a sealed Super Mario Bros. 3, which I should've kept anyway because it's my favorite Mario Game. Had it up for less than other sealed SMB3's at $175ish BIN, dude offered me $5 on some BS. Luckily it sold before I even had a chance to replay to his shitty email.

Another was with a Sniper, when I was trying to buy the Tengen Tetris for NES, I "manually sniped" by placing my max bid in the last few seconds. With a second left I guess I got a little too excited and thought I finally snagged one, only to find dude program sniped it with like half a second to go or something. Wasn't mad about that really, it happens, etc but the thing that pissed me off the most is that this fuckbarn had the audacity to send me an email gloating about his cheating win and linked me to other Tengen NES auctions.

Doom

Modelrater
Estmemed Member
Portables
Always 1/2
There are programs to bid for you at the last second? That's pretty sad and desperate >.>
yeah, for a while now. It's probably not specifically meant for that and something just to bid on something for you while you are elsewhere, work/school e.g. but give a man an inch, y'know?