Question Safety Tips while working on portables

AFE123

0x737cfb7b4d5677317210bddc07c6a51a 106e1f45330ee7a
Portables
1ish.
Yesterday, I tested positive for COVID-19, and lost the motivation to build my PS2 portable. I know that the project didn't cause me to get sick, but I've lost confidence in soldering and using a rotary tool. I just can't figure out how to build a portable without getting sick. What are some safety tips I should exercise?

Last edited:
When soldering you should probably have a window open, be in a well ventilated area, or have a fan blowing away the fumes. You can wear a (good) mask for extra protection to help stop you from inhaling anything you shouldn't. Also you can wear a pair of protective eye glasses or a face shield to stop anything from going in your face and eyes.

AFE123

0x737cfb7b4d5677317210bddc07c6a51a 106e1f45330ee7a
Portables
1ish.
When soldering you should probably have a window open, be in a well ventilated area, or have a fan blowing away the fumes. You can wear a (good) mask for extra protection to help stop you from inhaling anything you shouldn't. Also you can wear a pair of protective eye glasses or a face shield to stop anything from going in your face and eyes.
I do all my work outside. I'll look at getting a face shield. for a mask, what would you recommend? I don't think a KN-95 works well.

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
For hobbyist soldering, a fan to blow away the fumes (preferably out a window) and not touching your face/washing your hands when you're done after handling the solder is more than adequate. If you care a lot you'll use a fume extractor instead of a fan. You will not get sick from soldering unless you're eating the solder..

For trimming, doing it outside and having eye protection should be adequate.