Worklog Ryan's wii portable

So I finally started to trim my wii motherboard, I've got to say it's a pain in the ass. Anyways after a long time of sanding I think I'm good. If anyone else has any advice I'd love to hear it, thanks.

Attachments

Shank

Staff member
Portables
Your cuts look rough. You should try to use a file to file the lines so they are as straight as possible. It'll make sanding out the shorts much less difficult. Circled below are areas that need the most attention at first glance.

Attachments

Your cuts look rough. You should try to use a file to file the lines so they are as straight as possible. It'll make sanding out the shorts much less difficult. Circled below are areas that need the most attention at first glance.
Will it still work?

I'm confused you said,"Most likely not" but then after that you said,"Sand it really smooth". It's pretty dang smooth alright.

How will I know if I sanded enough though? Instead of it being smooth?

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
How will I know if I sanded enough though? Instead of it being smooth?
Check to see if the main voltage lines are shorted to ground. One of the 1.8v lines is naturally very low ohms to ground, I think like 9 ohms I measured. Also visually inspect the motherboard. You should be able to see all 6 layers around the edges.

It's a general rule of thumb that applies to everything. Woodworking, metal working, portablizing, memeing, etc.

The point of sanding is to prevent short circuits. You want to make sure it's right and should visually see a difference.

*edit* ninja'd

Finally fixed the rough edges with the dremel and sanding.

Attachments

Looks cleaner. Sand like your life depends on it. When you are bored of sanding, it means 5 more hours to go

Check to see if the main voltage lines are shorted to ground. One of the 1.8v lines is naturally very low ohms to ground, I think like 9 ohms I measured. Also visually inspect the motherboard. You should be able to see all 6 layers around the edges.
I checked with my multi meter and put it on ground and heard a beep, so does that mean there is signal? idk

YveltalGriffin

First Wii U Trimmer
Portables
I checked with my multi meter and put it on ground and heard a beep, so does that mean there is signal? idk
Beeping means continuity, which is zero or close to zero ohms of resistance. Change your meter's settings to a low number of ohms (like 100Ω) and check again according to Gman's advice.

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
Put one probe on a voltage line and the other probe on ground and then see if it beeps. Do this for all voltage lines. You should not hear any beeps.

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
Put one probe on a voltage line and the other probe on ground and then see if it beeps. Do this for all voltage lines. You should not hear any beeps.
Depending on the multimeter settings, a continuity can be triggered by like 50 ohms or less. It will be triggered for some of the lines even if there is no continuity. It is better to measure the resistance.

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
Depends, some meters will still beep even with a couple hundred ohms. Setting it to Ω (and a low number if it is not auto-ranging) should give you a number that is greater than 1.0Ω. Less than 1Ω I would say is a short