Worklog Ryan's wii portable

Does anybody recommend I should relocate the components on the board before trimming or after?

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
Does anybody recommend I should relocate the components on the board before trimming or after?
I'd do it after. You can't boot the board after performing a relocation on an untrimmed board, so it's better to make sure you don't have shorts before taking the time to relocate things.

That's my opinion anyways.

I hate wii trimming, sanding it down with some 800 grit so I don't get shorts

Attachments

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
You're starting with like 200 though right? You'll spend too much time and probably won't fix anything if you use nothing but 800.

I'll buy 200 and 600 later at homedepot, so I think I am good. I'm not a big fan of trimming also, LMAO

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
Ok. Just don't bother with 800 before getting lower grits. :)

Ok. Just don't bother with 800 before getting lower grits. :)
Thanks for the help @GingerOfOz , Also I'm not pretty sure if I messed up, came pretty close to the nand lines this time!:) But what would happen if I sanded it down with 800 grit sand paper?

Last edited:
Here it is

Attachments

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
Yikes. You're REALLY close to the NAND. I dunno how you expect to sand that.

Yeah, it might be RIP.

Shit, not again, how do I check if it is or not? Is there any way I could buy a trimmed Wii motherboard without the regulators and the relocations? I know ShockSlayer closed the service...

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
Shit, not again, how do I check if it is or not? Is there any way I could buy a trimmed Wii motherboard without the regulators and the relocations? I know ShockSlayer closed the service...
Do whatever sanding you can, then check to make sure your voltage lines aren't shorted to ground. If they look okay, you can try booting it up. It seems that your trimming is mainly having troubles due to lack of planning. You need to cut outside of the red line and then sand down to it like it says in the guide. If you try to cut on the line, you'll be too close in some areas and not be able to sand.

Do whatever sanding you can, then check to make sure your voltage lines aren't shorted to ground. If they look okay, you can try booting it up. It seems that your trimming is mainly having troubles due to lack of planning. You need to cut outside of the red line and then sand down to it like it says in the guide. If you try to cut on the line, you'll be too close in some areas and not be able to sand.
Do you think I should be able to sand?

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
Do you think I should be able to sand?
I don't have a clear picture of the NAND, so idk. I also have no idea of your ability. Pretty much any board is recoverable if you have the know-how and ability, but if you're struggling with cutting the board to the right size, it may be easier to get a new one.

I'd say you should try, but get ready to get a new board.

Why don't you cut where the guide tells you to? You've cut inside of the given parameters which are there for a reason. If you're using a ZN case then there's no reason to even cut inside of the area the guide shows.
Yea that was a big mistake, since the components where in the way, I had to trim on the back, and I think the trace was kind of wrong