ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
- Mar 3, 2016
Please, before asking any question, check the F.A.Q.: https://bitbuilt.net/forums/index.php?threads/rvloader-f-a-q.3721/
If you have any feature request, please post them here or I could forget about them: https://github.com/Aurelio92/RVLoader/discussions/categories/ideas
Make sure you follow all the steps, even if you already had BBLoader installed.
RVLoader was developed to replace BBLoader. Despite being almost completely rewritten, the stock theme was kept quite similar. The main improvements introduced are:
- Open source code!
- Wii channels support
- ELF homebrews support
- Complete Wiimote support
- Titles are now ordered alphabetically
- Fixed GC2Wiimote disconnection when the system is left idle for a while
- Per-game GC+2.0 remappable buttons
- Integrated system clock IF the MX chip is found. This can be an easy way to detect if the MX is properly wired to the Wii
- Wider LUA integration for greater customization
- Settings menu
- Theme selection in the settings menu
- Integrated GC+2.0 and PMS2 settings
- PMS2 support (for more info on what this means, check the features listed here: https://4layertech.com/products/rvl-pms-2 )
- RVL-DD in-game brightness setting (hold Z+X+Dpad Up/Down)
- New front-end completely developed from scratch and with Wii portables in mind
- Built-in installer that automatically detects if RVL is not installed and prompts the user to install it
- Integrated VGA patches. The installer also forces 480p if VGA selected so that you don't need to enable it from the System Menu settings
- neek2o has been replaced by Hiidra for booting Wii games
- Improved USB compatibility for Wii games
- BT module is not required anymore to boot Wii games
- GC2Wiimote is integrated in Hiidra and per-game configs can be modified directly in RVLoader by pressing B on a selected game. Also BTWiimoteInject is not required anymore
- Bootloader system making upgrades as easy as drag & dropping new files on your USB drive
- Full custom theme integration
If you already have BBLoader installed, follow these steps before proceeding with the copy of the files and installation:
- Delete the folder BBMain located in /bbloader/themes . This is not strictly needed, but it will ensure that the old, incompatible BBLoader theme won't appear in the themes list in the settings.
- Rename the folder /bbloader into /rvloader . This will ensure that any previously saved configuration and USB Wii saves are transferred over to RVLoader
- Unzip the archive in the root of your USB drive, making sure to merge the folders and not replacing them (to keep all the other homebrews that you might already have)
- Plug your USB drive in your Wii and turn it on
- Boot RVLoader from the homebrew channel, postloader or whatever you have
- RVLoader will detect if it is not installed currently and ask you to do it
- Press A to launch the installer
- After the initialization is complete the installer will perform a sanity check. If it complains about missing some IOS modules check the note at the end.
- You will be prompted to select if you want to patch out the WiFi module and if you want VGA. If you don't have the WiFi module on your board or you plan on removing it, PLEASE, make sure to have the "Patch out WiFi" option set to yes.
- Once you have selected the wanted options, press Start/Home once.
- The installer will show you the selected options and ask for confirmation. To proceed hold Start/Home for a couple of seconds until the process starts.
- Wait until the end of the process, it should take about a minute and then exit to RVLoader.
The UI is pretty simple, though still in development. Basic controls are:
- DPad/Left stick to move through the different games
- A to boot a game
- B (or 1 on a Wiimote) to open the per-game configuration menu
- C-Stick to switch between the different game menus (GC, Wii, homebrews, ...). Simply move the C-Stick and a selector wheel will show up. Holding the C-Stick in a position for a couple of seconds will confirm the selection. In case you are using a Wiimote, hold the B button and move the DPad to simulate the C-Stick movements. You can also use the right stick on a Classic Controller or the Nunchuk stick while holding the C button.
NOTE if step 6 fails: RVL installer grabs the required IOS modules from your Wii's NAND. If your Wii is not updated, it might be possible that the installer won't be able to find some of the required modules. In this case the installer will try to get those modules from the following IOS wads that must be placed on the root of your USB drive:
Updates will come in the following days/weeks. If you have suggestions or any other feedback please let me know either here or on Discord.
PS: RVLoader and Hiidra wouldn't have been possible without the help of the following people:
- marcan42, for answering any of the questions I had on Wii's architecture and IOSes
- CrashBash for designing the amazing masterpiece that is the boot logo of Hiidra
- Any developer who has released stuff for the Wii or contributed to its reverse engineering
- All my Patreon supporters
Download link: https://github.com/Aurelio92/RVLoader/releases
Source code: https://github.com/Aurelio92/RVLoader (can't wait to see your contributions!)
PS: Hiidra's source code will come in few more days/possibly weeks. I need to clean it up