RVLoader v2.0

Is RVloader more strict about USB compatibility than BBloader? ive had compatibility issues ever since the change over. could someone specify what USB drives and micro SDs are confirmed working?

JJGM

Hi everyone,
My account is a few years old but consider me new anyway. I have a wii that I installed PortablizeMii on last year and had no issues, but had to pack it away for a few months due to moving. I recently tried hooking it back up and found that when I tried getting to the roms page, when the page loaded it would jump to the upside down homebrew page. Haven't been on the site in a while, but jumped on here and found that I'm far behind in the updates and tried following the instructions in the OP to install RVL. Downloaded, unzipped and put the files on the usb (Verbatim brand) but can't find the files when I open up Homebrew and there's no sign that it's detecting that RVL isn't installed. I'm unsure about what next steps to take, and any help or input from those more knowledgeable would be greatly appreciated! :)

Wesk

Undervolting....
Staff member
Hi everyone,
My account is a few years old but consider me new anyway. I have a wii that I installed PortablizeMii on last year and had no issues, but had to pack it away for a few months due to moving. I recently tried hooking it back up and found that when I tried getting to the roms page, when the page loaded it would jump to the upside down homebrew page. Haven't been on the site in a while, but jumped on here and found that I'm far behind in the updates and tried following the instructions in the OP to install RVL. Downloaded, unzipped and put the files on the usb (Verbatim brand) but can't find the files when I open up Homebrew and there's no sign that it's detecting that RVL isn't installed. I'm unsure about what next steps to take, and any help or input from those more knowledgeable would be greatly appreciated! :)
You follow the same steps for installing on a fresh Wii with only HB channel installed. If it's not detecting either your USB isn't formatted correctly or you haven't placed the files in the correct location.

You can also specifically tell the HB channel to look at the SD or USB ports.

Roobs

OK I know I am not your normal user as I'm trying to setup a Wii within an arcade.

I found BBLoader then this updated project and it seems almost exactly what I want, (to use one controller with limited inputs and custom controls to make a lot of Nintendo games viable with arcade controls)
Most games that are going to be viable with this setup can be customised with GC2wiimote (awesome :D)

One issue that I see with my setup is that I will only have one stick and 8 main buttons.
I can only have one direction input (LS, D-Pad, C-Stick)
but the menu is going to cause a problem for me specifically selecting different game menus.

I notice we have several options C-stick, Wiimote with B button modifier or RS with C button modifier.
But I'm locked to using GC D-Pad as that is how we select games.

Is there anyway to change the menu select option?

Ideally I would love Y and X or the L/R trigger to switch through menu's Left and Right.

or failing that a modifier with a GameCube button that will enable GC D-Pad to select game menus.

Thanks

Hello I have seen that some had the same problem as me earlier in this thread but I never got an answer. How do I exit games and return to Rvloader without needing to shut down my wii? I found that L+R+Z+Start just restarts the game, but I couldn't find an input to go back to Rvloader. Does anyone know away to do this, if not am I able to change the restart combo to return me back to Rvloader Menu?

Whenever I open a Wii Game, it shows an error message and never loads the game.

Also whenever I add a GC game It just sits on the RVloader loading screen and never loads.

how can i fix it?

edit: i got the wii games to work but i still need help on the gamecube part

Last edited:

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Hello I have seen that some had the same problem as me earlier in this thread but I never got an answer. How do I exit games and return to Rvloader without needing to shut down my wii? I found that L+R+Z+Start just restarts the game, but I couldn't find an input to go back to Rvloader. Does anyone know away to do this, if not am I able to change the restart combo to return me back to Rvloader Menu?
R+Z+Start is a soft game reset, R+Z+B+Dpad-down should get you back to the menu I think

R+Z+Start is a soft game reset, R+Z+B+Dpad-down should get you back to the menu I think
Thank you. This is one of the main issues i had with Rvloader. Also why does rvloader refuse to boot up after i start the wii, works fine after though

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Thank you. This is one of the main issues i had with Rvloader. Also why does rvloader refuse to boot up after i start the wii, works fine after though
I'm afraid I don't know, my debug knowledge of RVLoader is pretty much limited to "Have you checked your wiring? Have you tried a different USB device? Have you redownloaded all the RVLoader files?"

Hi, I have two questions:
1. What cable do you use with VGA? I understand that using VGA mode disables YPbPr output, so I assume it's using the same pins as a component cable would, but it's sending RGB through them instead of YPbPr. With that assumption, I tried wiring my component cable's Y, Pb, and Pr leads to a VGA cable's G, B, and R wires. But this didn't produce an image that any of my TVs/monitors could display. So what do I do?
2. I read that USB Loader GX implements a "480p fix" that makes games loaded with it slightly less blurry. When loading games with RVLoader, does RVLoader apply this fix as well?

Edit: also, when I'm in RVLoader, my Wii's power button does nothing but make the light on my USB drive flash. The Wii won't power off unless I hold the button for a couple seconds. Why is this?

apart from RGB the vga output needs hsync , vsync signals and ground

apart from RGB the vga output needs hsync , vsync signals and ground
Wow I feel dumb now! Thanks. I had the ground but the sync totally slipped my mind. I didn't look at the Wii trimming guide because I'm not trimming my Wii, but the VGA instructions are there!
Under the "Audio/Video" heading, the 3rd diagram shows where the sync pins are:

But this brings up a different problem, which is: physically, how should I get the sync signals to the output? I'm thinking of replacing the D-Terminal pins with the sync signals, then wiring up my own VGA cable with a mutli out plug from console5. I think this will work, but is there a standardized way to do this or does everyone do it their own way?

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Wow I feel dumb now! Thanks. I had the ground but the sync totally slipped my mind. I didn't look at the Wii trimming guide because I'm not trimming my Wii, but the VGA instructions are there!
Under the "Audio/Video" heading, the 3rd diagram shows where the sync pins are:

But this brings up a different problem, which is: physically, how should I get the sync signals to the output? I'm thinking of replacing the D-Terminal pins with the sync signals, then wiring up my own VGA cable with a mutli out plug from console5. I think this will work, but is there a standardized way to do this or does everyone do it their own way?
The latter, for the moment

I wanted to play some Zelda randomizer's but they have the same game ID as the original game, is it possible to make separate save files for each game and if so could you also do the same for covers?

Does Rvloader’s save folder rewuire the files to be .raw or can I use 2 .gci files?

I got it working! Those HSync and VSync pins are tiny. It took a bunch of tries to solder wires to them without accidentally shorting them with other pins, but I got it. I desoldered the two resistors* that bring the D-Terminal signals to pins 14 and 16 of the video out, then I wired the HSync and VSync signals directly to those pins.
I chopped up a SCART cable and wired it to a VGA connector accordingly, and there it is! Looks a lot better in person but you get it. Weirdly it doesn't fill up the whole screen horizontally but that doesn't bother me too much.
*thanks to Diminuendo's posts here for letting me know to do this
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Thanks so much everyone for your help!
P.S. GC2Wiimote is awesome