Guide RVLoader USB Compatibility Database

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Since the good old Kingston FCR-MRG2 microSD adapter is out of stock basically everywhere with no restock in sight, and several new members have recently had some trouble finding USB drives that both work with RVLoader and fit in the PMS-PD 2, I think it's time to revive the old Community Database effort to keep a list of known reliable drives.

If you have a drive that works and wish to add it to the list, please submit a post with the following information:

Brand:
Model Number:
Capacity in Gigabytes:
Fits in the PMS-PD 2: (Yes/No/Can fit with modification/Unknown)
Number of Wii systems you have tested the drive on:
Where it was purchased: (link/name of shop)
A small photo of the drive:

Note: The model number of a drive is almost always found printed on the box/packaging, and rarely also printed on the drive itself. Please do not use link shorteners, or affiliate links to prevent premature link expiry.

We will add drives to the list once they have been verified as working reliably with RVLoader on multiple Wii systems, and will keep a tally counter of how many people have independently verified each submitted drive to crown the next King.

Current known compatible drives:

Note:
Asterisks (*) in a model number means those digits change based on the capacity of the drive. Replace any asterisks with the capacity in Gigabytes that you want when searching up drives listed here.
  • Brand: Sandisk
    Model: Ultra Fit 3.1 (SDCZ430-***G-G46)
    Type: USB 3.1 Storage Drive
    Capacities: 128GB, 256GB, 512GB
    Fits in the PMS-PD 2: Will fit if plastic shell is sanded
    Active purchase links: Amazon
    Reliability: Good.
    Notes: Currently the recommended drive to use if the Kingston FCR-MRG2 is unavailable.

• Brand: Kawau
    Model: C292
    Type: MicroSD to USB adapter
    Capacities: N/A
    Fits in the PMS-PD 2: Will fit if shell is trimmed
    Active purchase links: None, search Aliexpress for "Kawau C292"
    Reliability: Good. May have issues with Sandisk MicroSD cards.
    Notes: Only available from China, but in small group testing has shown itself to be close to the Kingston FCR-MRG2 in reliability. More tests to confirm or dispute this are welcome.

• Brand: INLAND (Micro Center)
    Model: 64GB USB 3.0 FP (No model number)
    Type: USB 3.0 Storage Drive
    Capacities: 64GB
    Fits in the PMS-PD 2: Will fit if shell is removed
    Reliability: Small test sample, but appears good.
    Notes: The 32GB versions of this drive appear to have significantly lower compatibility and are not recommended.

• Brand: Samsung
    Model: Fit 3.1 Plus
    Type: USB 3.1 Storage Drive
    Capacities: 64GB, 128GB, 256GB
    Fits in the PMS-PD 2: May fit as is, will fit if shell is sanded.
    Reliability: Middling.
    Notes: Some people claim this drive works perfectly, other have had issues with some types of games not booting. If you have one it's worth a try, but it may be wiser to buy the Sandisk or C292.

Last edited:
i just got a samsung 3.1 fit it works with rv loader and got my wii patched, however i’m reading mixed reviews about compatibility with size of pd2. some people say they have made it work others say it doesn’t fit. not sure until i get
image.jpg

Portables
I also don't have a PMS-PD2, and they are out of stock right now, so I can't test against that. However, I recently bought a few USB 2.0 microSD readers and 256GB microSDXC cards to test after having compatibility trouble with the new blue Samsung Evo Select.

How thorough should the tests be? I've been testing by ripping Mario Kart Wii in CleanRip, then starting Crazy Taxi in Nintendont and letting it run for a minute or two. The USB flash compatibility page on gbatemp suggests playing at least on hour, but that could take some time and I have a short attention span.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
I also don't have a PMS-PD2, and they are out of stock right now, so I can't test against that. However, I recently bought a few USB 2.0 microSD readers and 256GB microSDXC cards to test after having compatibility trouble with the new blue Samsung Evo Select.

How thorough should the tests be? I've been testing by ripping Mario Kart Wii in CleanRip, then starting Crazy Taxi in Nintendont and letting it run for a minute or two. The USB flash compatibility page on gbatemp suggests playing at least on hour, but that could take some time and I have a short attention span.
Ideally you'd test 5 different Gamecube games and 5 different Wii games. If you can play each for around 10 minutes without issue, that should be fine

Y2K

"The PS1 Guy"
Staff member
CrazyGadget and I have had good success with SanDisk's Ultra Fit drives - I haven't tried it with PD-2 personally but it should definitely work. The little keychain loop might need to be trimmed off to fit in some situations.

EDIT: I almost forgot to mention - I *have* had issues getting these to work on 6 layers weirdly enough. For me every time I try to switch to it in HBC, the Wii hard crashes to a stack trace and corrupts the partition mapping enough to where the Wii straight up won't recognize it anymore but it'll still mount and read in both Linux and Windows. I have to completely format it again in order for the Wii to see it again. I have not seen this problem on the 2 4 layer trims I have.

Last edited:
Portables
I'll do more thorough tests starting tomorrow, but these are the preliminary results I've seen testing a few USB microSD readers and larger microSDXC cards.

Tests were done on two RVL-101 models with RVLoader installed, but boards have not been trimmed.

Sorry, no links since I'm new and that would get me flagged.

microSDXC cards tested:

MB-ME256HA = Samsung 256GB Evo Select A1, purchased on eBay US​
MB-ME256KA = Samsung 256GB Evo Select A2, purchased on Amazon US (ASIN: B09B1GXM16)​
SDSQUAC-256G-GN6MA = SanDisk 256GB Ultra A1, purchased on eBay US​
SDSQXAV-256G-GN6MA = SanDisk 256GB Extreme A2, purchased on Amazon US (ASIN: B09X7CRKRZ)​
SDCS2/256GB = Kingston 256GB Canvas Select Plus A1, purchased on eBay US​
SDCG3/256GB = Kingston 256GB Canvas Go Plus A2, purchased on Amazon US (ASIN: B08589RK3M)​
TGUSDX512GU303 = TeamGroup 512GB, purchased on Amazon US (ASIN: B08976HLQL)​

USB microSD readers tested:

FCR-MRB = Kingston USB 2.0 microSD Reader​
included in Kingston MBLY bundle​
this appears to be the predecessor to the FCR-MRG2.​
purchased on eBay US​
FCR-MRG2 = Kingston USB 2.0 microSD Reader​
included in Kingston MBLYG2/MBLY4G2/MBLY10G2 bundles, also sold as a standalone product​
purchased on eBay US​
C286 = Kawau C286 USB 2.0 microSD reader​
purchased on AliExpress (item 2251832695439636)​
C292 = Kawau C292 USB 2.0 microSD reader​
purchased on AliExpress (item 2251832662247011)​
SDDR-B531-GN6NN = SanDisk MobileMate USB 3.0 microSD Card Reader​
purchased on eBay US​
Read-mostly workload test preliminary results (start up to RVLoader, try one game):

1682917727916.png

Overall this suggests that the Kawau C292 is an adequate replacement for the Kingston FCR-MRG2. The top, which is on the bottom when plugged in, sticks out 2-3mm above the USB plug, so you'll likely need to sand 1-2mm to get it flush with the bottom of the PMS-PD2 board. Tests of write-mostly workloads have shown the SanDisk 256GB Extreme A2 (MPN: SDSQXAV-256G-GN6MA) to perform well, but most of the cards tested work well with most of the readers in read-mostly scenarios.

Kawau C292 from top:
IMG_20230429_095853597_HDR~2.jpg

Last edited:

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
I'll do more thorough tests starting tomorrow, but these are the preliminary results I've seen testing a few USB microSD readers and larger microSDXC cards.

Tests were done on two RVL-101 models with RVLoader installed, but boards have not been trimmed.

Sorry, no links since I'm new and that would get me flagged.

microSDXC cards tested:

MB-ME256HA = Samsung 256GB Evo Select A1, purchased on eBay US​
MB-ME256KA = Samsung 256GB Evo Select A2, purchased on Amazon US (ASIN: B09B1GXM16)​
SDSQUAC-256G-GN6MA = SanDisk 256GB Ultra A1, purchased on eBay US​
SDSQXAV-256G-GN6MA = SanDisk 256GB Extreme A2, purchased on Amazon US (ASIN: B09X7CRKRZ)​
SDCS2/256GB = Kingston 256GB Canvas Select Plus A1, purchased on eBay US​
SDCG3/256GB = Kingston 256GB Canvas Go Plus A2, purchased on Amazon US (ASIN: B08589RK3M)​
TGUSDX512GU303 = TeamGroup 512GB, purchased on Amazon US (ASIN: B08976HLQL)​

USB microSD readers tested:

FCR-MRB = Kingston USB 2.0 microSD Reader​
included in Kingston MBLY bundle​
this appears to be the predecessor to the FCR-MRG2.​
purchased on eBay​
FCR-MRG2 = Kingston USB 2.0 microSD Reader​
included in Kingston MBLYG2/MBLY4G2/MBLY10G2 bundles, also sold as a standalone product​
purchased on eBay​
C286 = Kawau C286​
purchased on AliExpress (item 2251832695439636)​
C292 = Kawau C289​
purchased on AliExpress (item 2251832662247011)​
SDDR-B531-GN6NN = SanDisk MobileMate USB 3.0 microSD Card Reader​
purchased on eBay US​
Read-mostly workload test preliminary results (start up to RVLoader, try one game):​

View attachment 27441

Overall this suggests that the Kawau C292 is an adequate replacement for the Kingston FCR-MRG2. The top, which is on the bottom when plugged in, sticks out 2-3mm above the USB plug, so you'll likely need to sand a 1-2mm to get it flush with the bottom of the PMS-PD2 board. Tests of write-mostly workloads have shown the SanDisk 256GB Extreme A2 (MPN: SDSQXAV-256G-GN6MA) to perform well, but most of the cards tested work well with most of the readers, with the exception of the SanDisk USB 3.0 microSD reader (MPN: SDDR-B531-GN6NN).

Kawau C292 from top:
Don't worry about the flags, I check the mod queue every few hours while I'm awake and approve legit posts. The link flag is just to help prevent spam bots from multiposting.

Also holy data trove Batman! I'll order a C292 to verify

Last edited:
Portables
The green 256GB Samsung Evo Select (MB-ME256HA) works just as well with the Kawau C292 and Kawau C286 as it does with the Kensington FCR-MRG2. I only tested using one Wii, since the other is having some trouble at the moment. Each game was played for 10 minutes.

GameCube games tested:
  • Mario Kart: Double Dash
  • Star Wars Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader
  • Super Mario Sunshine
  • Super Smash Bros Melee
  • The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
Wii games tested:
  • Kirby's Epic Yarn
  • Mario Kart Wii
  • New Super Mario Bros Wii
  • Sonic Colors
  • Super Smash Bros. Brawl
I tried using Metroid Prime Trilogy and Zelda: Skyward Sword, but neither was playable even with the FCR-MRG2 / MB-ME256HA combo. I'm not sure if that's expected. Is there a game compatibility list for Wii games for RVLoader available?

The C292 is not compatible with the PMS-PD2 without modification. However, modification is as easy as using side cutters to clip off the plastic band that faces down when the reader is plugged in. You really should keep the rest of the black plastic that may fall off without the clip, so you should glue the black plastic to the metal USB plug. If you don't glue it and it falls off, you're likely to mistakenly place your microSD card on the wrong side of the PCB and shear off surface mount components.

The C286 is not compatible with every microSDXC card tested, but still seems worth mentioning. It was still compatible with more than half the microSDXC cards, and tests ripping discs in CleanRip show that with the right card it is relatively stable.

The modified C292 is shown on the left in the images below, and the C286's PCB in a 3d printed housing on right.
IMG_20230502_085924637_HDR.jpgIMG_20230502_085939712_HDR.jpg

The STL and OpenSCAD files for the minimal C286 case are available on Printables here:

I'll keep testing other USB reader / microSDXC combinations and post back when done.

MOD EDIT: Undeleted post because this is the good shit

Last edited:
Brand: INLAND (Micro Center)
Model Number: 64GB USB 3.0 FP (No model number)
Capacity in Gigabytes: 64 Gigabytes
Fits in the PMS-PD 2: Haven't tried, probably not
Number of Wii systems you have tested the drive on: 2 (1 trimmed, 1 untrimmed)
Number of individual drives of that model tested: 2 drives
Where it was purchased: Amazon
1683338637339.png

I have tested it with MK Wii and Mario kart double dash. It works fine from what I tested. I've formatted it to a Large FAT32 in Rufus so that I could use all 64 GB (not tested at full capacity). Either way it seems to work well in both titles. These drives come in several sizes, but I only have the 64 GB one so I can't vouch if the others would work. (P.S, Mine says "USB 3.1" but the listing was for 3.0. Your mileage may vary.)

Last edited:

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
If it doesn't fit in the PD2 as is, removing the plastic shell would definitely leave it flat enough to fit

Brand: INLAND (Micro Center)
Model Number: 64GB USB 3.0 FP (No model number)
Capacity in Gigabytes: 64 Gigabytes
Fits in the PMS-PD 2: Haven't tried, probably not
Number of Wii systems you have tested the drive on: 2 (1 trimmed, 1 untrimmed)
Number of individual drives of that model tested: 2 drives
Where it was purchased: Amazon
View attachment 27527
I have tested it with MK Wii and Mario kart double dash. It works fine from what I tested. I've formatted it to a Large FAT32 in Rufus so that I could use all 64 GB (not tested at full capacity). Either way it seems to work well in both titles. These drives come in several sizes, but I only have the 64 GB one so I can't vouch if the others would work.
Hi, I have the 32 GB version of that drive that I bought directly from microcenter.

I tested it, and it works for GameCube games but not Wii ones.

Hi, I have the 32 GB version of that drive that I bought directly from microcenter.

I tested it, and it works for GameCube games but not Wii ones.
It seems that the NAND inside the 32gb is different from the NAND on the 64gb (The NAND on mine seems to be BGA or something, it doesn't have "pins". Was your 32 GB the USB 2.0, 3.0 or 3.1 version? (3.0 and 3.1 are from the same listing lol)

It seems that the NAND inside the 32gb is different from the NAND on the 64gb (The NAND on mine seems to be BGA or something, it doesn't have "pins". Was your 32 GB the USB 2.0, 3.0 or 3.1 version? (3.0 and 3.1 are from the same listing lol)
Hi, I don't know where the drive is right now, since I switched to a different one for my Wii, but I think it was 3.1 because I have another one here that is that. Also, I have some other microcenter USBs that I can test to see if they can be used.

PXL_20230506_235207922.jpg

Also, I figured I'd put here the drive that I'm using now that I tested on 2 Wiis that works fine with Wii and gamecube games.

It's a Lexar micro sd card reader with a microcenter 32 GB sd card. I don't remember where I got it because it was a while ago, but I found something that is the same model number: Review: Lexar LRWM03U-7000 microSD UHS-I Card Reader USB 3.0 - Camera Memory Speed Comparison & Performance tests for SD and CF cards

CrazyGadget and I have had good success with SanDisk's Ultra Fit drives - I haven't tried it with PD-2 personally but it should definitely work. The little keychain loop might need to be trimmed off to fit in some situations.

EDIT: I almost forgot to mention - I *have* had issues getting these to work on 6 layers weirdly enough. For me every time I try to switch to it in HBC, the Wii hard crashes to a stack trace and corrupts the partition mapping enough to where the Wii straight up won't recognize it anymore but it'll still mount and read in both Linux and Windows. I have to completely format it again in order for the Wii to see it again. I have not seen this problem on the 2 4 layer trims I have.

Have you tried each capacity? Or is there a capacity you usually use that works best? I'm trying to use a 256GB one and I've been having all sorts of issues.

Edit:
Looks like the Ultra Fit is not recommended by a number of people in the community. You must have been very lucky with the drives you have. Wish I saw the older thread before I purchased one. Here's what both Nold and GingerofOz have to say about the Ultra Fit:

PM booting/Wii games don't:
- SanDisk Ultra Fit - 64GB [SDCZ430-064G-G46]
Notes: PM boots up but Wii games don't start, GC games are working fine...
Nope. That's been tried many times but the drive just doesn't work.

Last edited:

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Have you tried each capacity? Or is there a capacity you usually use that works best? I'm trying to use a 256GB one and I've been having all sorts of issues.

Edit:
Looks like the Ultra Fit is not recommended by a number of people in the community. You must have been very lucky with the drives you have. Wish I saw the older thread before I purchased one. Here's what both Nold and GingerofOz have to say about the Ultra Fit:
That post is for the old PortablizeMii (PM) software pack and should be disregarded. Any information related to PortablizeMii is very outdated and no longer applies. The compatibilities of RVLoader and PortablizeMii are completely different.

Portables
The green 256GB Samsung Evo Select (MB-ME256HA) works just as well with the Kawau C292 and Kawau C286 as it does with the Kensington FCR-MRG2. I only tested using one Wii, since the other is having some trouble at the moment. Each game was played for 10 minutes.

GameCube games tested:
  • Mario Kart: Double Dash
  • Star Wars Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader
  • Super Mario Sunshine
  • Super Smash Bros Melee
  • The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
Wii games tested:
  • Kirby's Epic Yarn
  • Mario Kart Wii
  • New Super Mario Bros Wii
  • Sonic Colors
  • Super Smash Bros. Brawl
I tried using Metroid Prime Trilogy and Zelda: Skyward Sword, but neither was playable even with the FCR-MRG2 / MB-ME256HA combo. I'm not sure if that's expected. Is there a game compatibility list for Wii games for RVLoader available?

The C292 is not compatible with the PMS-PD2 without modification. However, modification is as easy as using side cutters to clip off the plastic band that faces down when the reader is plugged in. You really should keep the rest of the black plastic that may fall off without the clip, so you should glue the black plastic to the metal USB plug. If you don't glue it and it falls off, you're likely to mistakenly place your microSD card on the wrong side of the PCB and shear off surface mount components.

The C286 is not compatible with every microSDXC card tested, but still seems worth mentioning. It was still compatible with more than half the microSDXC cards, and tests ripping discs in CleanRip show that with the right card it is relatively stable.

The modified C292 is shown on the left in the images below, and the C286's PCB in a 3d printed housing on right.
View attachment 27468View attachment 27469

The STL and OpenSCAD files for the minimal C286 case are available on Printables here:

I'll keep testing other USB reader / microSDXC combinations and post back when done.

MOD EDIT: Undeleted post because this is the good shit
Testing of most of the drives and microSD cards using the test methods in the quoted post above is done. I excluded the FCR-MRB because it's more difficult to obtain than the FCR-MRG2, and I excluded the SanDisk USB 3 reader because it's compatible with only one drive when used on the Wii. This testing was on a single NTSC Wii, model RVL-101, motherboard revision RVK-CPU-01, and no hardware modifications have been performed, so YMMV if you're using other configurations.

The cells with an 'x' are USB reader / microSD card combinations for which I did not have any problem with freezing or other problem indicating storage was inaccessible:

usb-microsd-rvloader-base-compatibility-20230526.png

Based on the above, neither of the two microSD readers I tested are nearly as compatible as the FCR-MRG2.

This is the chip used in the C286:

vlcsnap-2023-05-03-11h01m27s305.png

The MA8121N chip can be found on AliExpress easily.

Below is the chip used in the C292 (I have only one of these, and don't want to risk breaking by disassembling until I have more):

vlcsnap-2023-05-03-11h21m46s866.png

The chip above in the C292 is likely a clone of the Prolific MA8121K since it is more-or-less QFN24 outline.

I'm planning to test a USB microSD reader from Electro Dragon that's based on the chip used in Wesk/CrazyGadgets GameCube Nano (GL823K). The author of the YouTube video showcasing the GC Nano (Tito) uses a SanDisk Ultra (SDSQUAC-...-GN6MA) card which wouldn't be compatible with the C286 or C292, so the GL823K sounds like a better candidate than the two I just finished testing.

I'll test a few USB drives, as well, but only a few. I'm not testing any MicroCenter-branded drives because so many of them have gone bad on me over the last 20 years. There has been consistent speculation that the MicroCenter-branded flash products are from rejected batches from major manufacturers, for example a USB drive I got a long time ago that was labeled "MicroCenter" but when inserted into the computer showed up as "Transcend".

Last edited:

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
OP updated with the provided info.

Big thanks everyone for your contributions! We can still use a heap more data, so keep it coming!

Portables
OP updated with the provided info.

Big thanks everyone for your contributions! We can still use a heap more data, so keep it coming!
I tested a few USB flash drives on my untrimmed 4-layer Wii with RVLoader installed. As above, I tested 5 GC and 5 Wii games for 10 minutes per game. Failure means I got it to hang the system at least twice when trying to boot RVLoader or load a game.

Passed:

SanDisk 256GB Cruzer USB 2.0 Flash Drive (SDCZ36-256G-B35)​
SanDisk 256GB Ultra Fit USB 3.1 Flash Drive (SDCZ430-256G-G46)​

Failed:

SAMSUNG FIT Plus 256GB USB 3.1 Flash Drive (MUF-256AB/AM)​
TEAMGROUP 256GB USB 3.2 Gen 1 Flash Drive (C162)​

The SanDisk Cruzer is rather large and won't fit in the PMS-PD with its case intact. After removal of the case it fits, but is still pretty long.

IMG_20230616_153618652~2.jpg IMG_20230616_153648982~2.jpg

The SanDisk Ultra Fit fits the PMS-PD just fine with case intact, no sanding required.

IMG_20230616_153839759~2.jpg IMG_20230616_153849961~2.jpg

Last edited:
I recently purchased 2 kingston readers off ebay. I used a 128 gb team group
and a 256 Samsung Evo (both from Amazon). I also purchased a SanDisk 256 gb from Amazon.

I formatted them all the same and placed the same contents on each. Only the SanDisk drive
worked for me unfortunately.

I don't know if it was the micro sd cards or version of the kingston readers. I'll try more cards out
if I can.

20230703_161316.jpg20230703_161357.jpg20230703_161436.jpg

Benge

Portables
4 : O-Wii (V1,V2,V2.1)/ BS2
Just saw this thread.
For a while I was using micro SD adapter based on GL823K, it work fine as I know.
And I find it much easier than trying to figure out which USB flash drive works.
Here is the product link : https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32918607789.html
msedge_VO9DzhuAzI.png

I used this chip for my tiny wii portable, which isn't finished yet.

And more recently I used it for my xbox 360 portable, the chip works very well !