Routers and Modems

I am thinking of buying a something for my room for wired connections to my PS4, Raspberry Pi and other things. I know some stuff about how routers and modems work, but do I need a modem if all I am using is ethernet wired connections?

Portables
3/4
If all you're doing is wire Ethernet between machines/game systems all you would really need is a network switch or a router. But, without a modem somewhere in the mix somewhere you won't have any Internet access on that wired network connection. The machines/games systems will only be able to talk to one another and that's pretty much it.

I'm not sure what exactly you're going for, you'd have to go into a bit more detail but if you can start off with just a router or a network switch and add internet later and other stuff later. And if you're doing a complete wired system I would suggest going with a Gigabit router/switch and CAT5E cable at least... you won't regret it. :)

Right now I have my Gigabit DSL modem/router combo hooked into Gigabit router that's hooked into a Gigabit switch with structured CAT6 cable run to every room in my house. :)

TL;DR
Long story short, to get specific you would have to say exactly what you plan to use it for and then it would be easier to tell ya what you would need. :)

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
If you're strictly using the hardwired connection to get to the internet, just make your internal network faster than your Internet connection speed. If you want to do anything between two or more of your internal devices, go for the fastest hardware you can afford, up to gigabit. 10gig hardware is not really viable for home networks yet :P

As for if you need a modem, that depends on how you get Internet access, your service provider will generally tell you what you need to get an Ethernet connection in your house (if you don't already have it)

If you're strictly using the hardwired connection to get to the internet, just make your internal network faster than your Internet connection speed. If you want to do anything between two or more of your internal devices, go for the fastest hardware you can afford, up to gigabit. 10gig hardware is not really viable for home networks yet :P

As for if you need a modem, that depends on how you get Internet access, your service provider will generally tell you what you need to get an Ethernet connection in your house (if you don't already have it)
Alright, thanks!