Worklog Roberb's first wii portable

I'm sure this question is pure blasphemy on this site lol but I want my portable to boot straight into hbc using priiloader like it's been doing for a couple years now. I have cios installed on it and I have been reading that using portablizemii on it would be bad since it's not from a stock install. So if someone could point me to a trimming guide that doesn't ask me to remove the Wi-Fi board or doesn't assume I'm using portablizemii. I've been using a 32gb SD card for years with it and I don't want to have to start using a USB stick with portablizemii.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
I don't think there is another trimming guide. Anything bigger than the OMGWTF trim was actually harder to do, so there's just the one guide.

Okay. If there's no way around it,then how do I get my Wii back to stock without any cios and only ios installed on it?

And can you use an SD card with portablizemii instead of a USB stick?

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
You can't use an SD card with portablizemii. Someone asked that earlier today. Switching to a flash drive isn't that horrible.

I also wasn't aware that currently installed CIOSs could mess with Portablizemii. Can I get more information on that?

I read the portablizemii thread. It said it could be dangerous to install on an already modded console.

Also I saw one Gman's Wii portable videos and he had portablizemii on it but...he was using an SD card to boot games.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Okay. If there's no way around it,then how do I get my Wii back to stock without any cios and only ios installed on it?

And can you use an SD card with portablizemii instead of a USB stick?
I read the portablizemii thread. It said it could be dangerous to install on an already modded console.

Also I saw one Gman's Wii portable videos and he had portablizemii on it but...he was using an SD card to boot games.
I just tested it, yes you can use the SD card slot with the latest PortablizeMii. Wii games won't run, but Gamecube games and the emulators work fine. You do need a USB stick to install the pack though, and you can't use a physical memory card with it.

Gman used an SD to USB adapter to maintain emunand functionality.

As for the cios, if you know what you're doing you could use AnyTitle Deleter to get rid of them.

That's Gman though. He's a God.

I'll look into uninstalling my currently installed CIOSs then.
Okay what makes portablizemii so special is the fact that it installs NoWifi cIOS. Imagine I install that one specific cios... then I can just not use portablizemii right? I'll just have to relocate my Bluetooth and remove the Wi-Fi and remove the disc drive right?

Edit: yeah but I'm keeping my Bluetooth so I can still boot Wii games. Just going to relocate it. I've found some guides on doing that.

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
Okay what makes portablizemii so special is the fact that it installs NoWifi cIOS. Imagine I install that one specific cios... then I can just not use portablizemii right? I'll just have to relocate my Bluetooth and remove the Wi-Fi and remove the disc drive right?

Edit: yeah but I'm keeping my Bluetooth so I can still boot Wii games. Just going to relocate it. I've found some guides on doing that.
The NoWiFi cIOS can be installed even without using PortablizeMii. PortablizeMii makes setting everything up easier, but nothing stops you from using whatever you want :D

The NoWiFi cIOS can be installed even without using PortablizeMii. PortablizeMii makes setting everything up easier, but nothing stops you from using whatever you want :D
I understand the ease of hassle it gives users and it's great but it's not what I want or am used to. So I'm just trying to find the no Wi-Fi cios now so I can trim the board to not have that on there.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Just download the PortablizeMii pack and look in the SD folder. The wad should be there.

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
As a note since you said you would be booting straight to the HBC, when you install the cioses the HBC will flip upside down and mirror itself. Team Twiizers did this to discourage people from using cioses, since at the time, all the cioses released were, at best, useless, and at worst, extremely destructive. This is one of the reasons we used Postloader instead of just booting straight to HBC.

Also, we don't mind wii portables that don't use the PM pack, it's just we can't provide much help if something goes wrong and you don't use it :P
I'd love to see a worklog if you get further on this!

Well I used d2x installer when I installed my cios and it's never caused anything to be upside down. The only cios I was wanting to install now is the nowifi so I can remove the Wi-Fi module from the motherboard. I haven't started a worklog just yet as I haven't gotten any tools I need to start on trimming the mobo. I'm just trying to understand the initial groundwork right now. And reading the guides this site has to offer is great!

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
Well I used d2x installer when I installed my cios and it's never caused anything to be upside down. The only cios I was wanting to install now is the nowifi so I can remove the Wi-Fi module from the motherboard. I haven't started a worklog just yet as I haven't gotten any tools I need to start on trimming the mobo. I'm just trying to understand the initial groundwork right now. And reading the guides this site has to offer is great!
The d2x cios are installed in the slots 249 and 250. The nowifi cioses are installed in slots 58, 80, 236. The hbc uses slot 58 so it detects a custom IOS and flips the screen

The d2x cios are installed in the slots 249 and 250. The nowifi cioses are installed in slots 58, 80, 236. The hbc uses slot 58 so it detects a custom IOS and flips the screen
Okay I understand now. Is there a fix for that? Like using the postloader you mentioned?

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
Okay I understand now. Is there a fix for that? Like using the postloader you mentioned?
Any other launcher doesn't do this kind of check, postloader is a good option, but if you don't like PortablizeMii you won't like postloader either :D

Last edited:
Any other launcher doesn't ro this kind of check, postloader is a good option, but if you don't like PortablizeMii you won't like postloader either :D
I use wiiflow to load my games. I've got nintendont and wiiflow on my hbc at the moment. I'm pretty sure wiiflow can load the gc games too but I've never tried it actually. I've got no real issues with portablizemii other than it said I had to use a stock Wii to install it. I could set my Wii to autoboot into wiiflow I believe.

Edit: oh yeah I have SD gecko too for playing modded smash bros.

Edit2: tbh if I needed to navigate an upside down reversed hbc menu I could. Like if I needed to get to a specific homebrew app that's not wiiflow.

ayyy lmao

You don't need a stock Wii. Just manually install the nowifi cios and run the cheese installer. Then you will have PortablizeMii.
Well all right. That solved my issues. Now am I correct in that leaving the Bluetooth module intact but relocating it on the new trimmed mobo would allow me to boot Wii ISO's? Something in the trimming guide said that removing the Bluetooth is why Wii games won't boot.