RKJXY Analog sticks. We need to find a source for these.

Noah

retired
Portables
Btw, all of the sticks have been claimed and are being shipped out soon. Once I hear back from the people who are receiving them, (assuming it's good feedback!) we will be ordering 20 or so for the store. Stay tuned!

TodorSauce

The artist formerly known as Ashen
Where did you order from and what was the cost per unit? The ones in those pics look a little different than what is on my GPD. Do they have rubber caps?

Blurry pics are blurry. :/

Noah

retired
Portables
Got them from Verical. I haven't touched them in a couple of days (they're packaged up and ready to ship) but IIRC they were more plastic than rubber. Maybe they have caps?

Shank

Staff member
Portables
Just got my rkjxy sticks in the mail. I have compared it with my gpd XD, and the GPD does have a rubber cap that the standalone sticks do not. The rkjxy sticks feel nice, but they don't move very far; the 3ds sticks feel like they move further than these do.

Granted, these aren't sliders, these are real thumbsticks. My thumbs don't really slip like they did with the 3ds sliders. These sticks feel nice and tight and very high quality, but they don't feel like they are moving very far. For example, melee players may have difficulty inputting a tilt attack vs a smash attack because of how little distance there is.

If I had to describe them I would say:
Imagine an Xbox 360 thumbstick, but the kneck is shorter, and the hole in the shell is half the diamater.

Here's some pictures for all you curious about how they compare in terms of dimensions.

With caps:
20160611_152125.jpg

20160611_152107.jpg

Without caps:
20160611_152034.jpg

20160611_152013.jpg

20160611_151931.jpg

Again, just initial impressions. No extensive testing has been done yet.

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
Can the flat cable be easily removed to solder on some wires like with the 3DS sliders?

Shank

Staff member
Portables
I took mine apart, and I couldn't find any easy solder points.

Don't get me wrong, these sticks are great. Im having a hard time deciding wether to use these or 3DS sliders for my current portable.

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
I took mine apart, and I couldn't find any easy solder points.

Don't get me wrong, these sticks are great. Im having a hard time deciding wether to use these or 3DS sliders for my current portable.
Thanks. For now I'll stick with 3DS sliders :D

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
Got my sticks today. Shank is right in how they dont have a good travel distance. They do feel very nice however. Only downside is that there are no soldering points. I took off all the metal caging and its just the flex cable around the whole thing. The cable uses carbon traces that you cant solder. If we were to use these, we'd have to get a breakout board for the cable.

I received mine as well. I like the travel distance, but I agree it's short. They're comfy for plastic but like Gman said, so way to use them properly currently.

Are they full carbon traces? If they have any metal at all underneath them, you might be able to scratch off a little bit of carbon and solder to the metal underneath. If it's completely carbon, then maybe you'd have to settle with a janky hotglue solution.

When I turned an old GC remote into a fight stick, I had to scratch off parts of the carbon that covered the button leads in order to solder to it.

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
Are they full carbon traces? If they have any metal at all underneath them, you might be able to scratch off a little bit of carbon and solder to the metal underneath. If it's completely carbon, then maybe you'd have to settle with a janky hotglue solution.

When I turned an old GC remote into a fight stick, I had to scratch off parts of the carbon that covered the button leads in order to solder to it.
I'm pretty sure it's all just carbon. You can scratch off the entire trace pretty easily. Yeah settling for a janky hotglue solution doesnt sound like a good idea. If we still want to use these, we gotta do it the right way or it's not going to work.