Question Rewiring the wii power buttons is there a way?

Portables
I made the wiiswitcg
Hi , gingergamecube here,
Im doing a basic wii trim for a wii mini .
Now as this is a trim which will eliminate the power button i need to rewire it , but as im lacking certain knowledge i dont know where im supposed to re wire it to. If you can please help me and let me know if u can tell me where to locate a power button/switch

Below is my trim lines

Attachments

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Short TP108 or Pin 19 of the MX chip to ground to mimic the power button.

Also what's up with that trim outline? That's definitely not standard

Portables
I made the wiiswitcg
Short TP108 or Pin 19 of the MX chip to ground to mimic the power button.

Also what's up with that trim outline? That's definitely not standard
Yeah i made the trim up my self it linits me having to rewire custom regulators and rewire new ports

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
The trim you've outlined may not function. There are many internal voltage traces that aren't visible from the outside, and some of them go in very strange directions. You'll probably sever a few in the process of trimming that. You might be able to make it work, but you'll likely need to repair the voltage connections to a few spots with wire

Portables
I made the wiiswitcg
The trim you've outlined may not function. There are many internal voltage traces that aren't visible from the outside, and some of them go in very strange directions. You'll probably sever a few in the process of trimming that. You might be able to make it work, but you'll likely need to repair the voltage connections to a few spots with wire
Ok thanks for information i really hoped this would work because the omgwtf trim seems quite challenging. Is there another trim that i can do which is simpler?

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Ok thanks for information i really hoped this would work because the omgwtf trim seems quite challenging. Is there another trim that i can do which is simpler?
Unfortunately no, the OMGWTF trim is the simplest official trim. If that 6 layer Wii you have is disposable, you may as well give it a try. We don't have a 6 layer compendium, else I'd check the voltage layers to see if it will just work, but if Nintendo didn't optimise the 4 layer Wii's voltage layer too much, then you likely would only need to reconnect the 3.3v and 3.3v standby lines by the MX chip and run a 5v wire to the AV out port. Both of which can be determined after sanding the trim by using a multimeter in continuity mode

Portables
I made the wiiswitcg
Unfortunately no, the OMGWTF trim is the simplest official trim. If that 6 layer Wii you have is disposable, you may as well give it a try. We don't have a 6 layer compendium, else I'd check the voltage layers to see if it will just work, but if Nintendo didn't optimise the 4 layer Wii's voltage layer too much, then you likely would only need to reconnect the 3.3v and 3.3v standby lines by the MX chip and run a 5v wire to the AV out port. Both of which can be determined after sanding the trim by using a multimeter in continuity mode
Ok thanks ill do my research and i will attempt the omgwtf trim thanks for your help Stitches

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Ok thanks ill do my research and i will attempt the omgwtf trim thanks for your help Stitches
Just keep in mind that 6 layer Wiis use a shitton more power than 4 layer Wiis, and need to be trimmed differently due to part placement. If you want to use that 6 layer for a build, you'll need regulators with higher outputs. CrazyGadget's PSU-Plus should be suitable for this. And be sure to properly install RVLoader before trimming, or the board will be extremely difficult to recover

Last edited:

Shank

Staff member
Portables
One thing I'd like to add. Counterintuitively, trimming off less of the board can introduce more problems. For example, the stock voltage regulator circuit uses a voltage comparator that shuts off all the regulators if any anomaly is detected. There are a few pitfalls we avoided during planning before the final trim was standardized.

Portables
I made the wiiswitcg
Ok thanks for the great tips , btw bug fan of your work shank especially the wiienvision and thanks stitches for all of your great advice