Worklog Reviive Worklog and Questions - Portable Wii Brought Back From The Dead!

I am unhealthily invested in this thread - good luck my guy I hope you get everything figured out and mad props to you for not just pulling any salvageable parts out and making your own forever ago! Can't wait to see the end of this
Haha, thanks so much for your interest! I’m very excited to see the end result as well!

(also, minor update: 34 gauge magnet wire has arrived, in case I need to repair any data lines)

Attachments

The final two pieces of the puzzle have just arrived: both the pair of 18650s and the RVL PMS 2 (the PMS is a last resort if there is something irrepairably damaged on the original BitBuilt store version).

I will now begin going through @RoseDagger ’s suggested route which is desoldering everything from the BB Store PMS apart from a single 18650 in the cell caddy and the power button, then add everything one at a time (fan, status led, screen, etc) and test as it goes to idenfity the issue. Thanks to everyone for following this thread, and I hope this portable is nearing full restoration. Stay tuned for more updates!

Attachments

Last edited:
I’ve desoldered everything from the PMS except for the cell in the caddy and added the fan to the 3.3V and nothing. I desoldered that and added the LCD to 5V and still nothing. Should I break out the PMS 2 and try that?

CrazyGadget

Crazy Helpful, CrazyGadget
Portables
???
To confirm, the other side of your power button is connected to ground, yes? I don't see any other ground wires going to / from the PMS, and having a button that does nothing is not going to turn on the PMS.

To confirm, the other side of your power button is connected to ground, yes? I don't see any other ground wires going to / from the PMS, and having a button that does nothing is not going to turn on the PMS.
Yes, the power button is also connected to ground. I desoldered the F+ and F- before uploading that picture.

CrazyGadget

Crazy Helpful, CrazyGadget
Portables
???
It sounds like your PMS just isn't turning on. Do you have an LED to hook up to the board? That's the easiest way to see if it's turning on at all, second to just pressing the power button and then checking all the voltage outputs with a multimeter. Be sure to double check all the documentation on the 4Layer website; they did a lot of work to make it all very clear.

It sounds like your PMS just isn't turning on. Do you have an LED to hook up to the board? That's the easiest way to see if it's turning on at all, second to just pressing the power button and then checking all the voltage outputs with a multimeter. Be sure to double check all the documentation on the 4Layer website; they did a lot of work to make it all very clear.
I’ll try the LED. Thanks!

Hello again, my friends. Unfortunately, I have some bad news. The PMS 2 isn’t doing anything at all. I’ve wired the included LED to the PMS and the PMS to the cells referenced from the digram on 4layertech’s website, and no luck. I’ve tried wiring the charging port to power the batteries and still nothing. I don’t think it’s worth putting pictures here because I’ve double and triple checked the wiring with the 4layertech diagram. Unfortunately I am most likely going to resell this for parts on eBay because for all of the effort I’ve poured into this, nothing went right. I know I haven’t spend nearly as much time as others when troubleshooting but it’s extremely hard for me to carve out enough free time to sit down and work on it for large amounts of time. I suppose I’ll look into buying a build from GingerOfOz or wait for the next DIY kit to continue portablizing.

I suppose if you’re interested in buying this and want to give a go at fixing it yourself, feel free to DM me or email me at [email protected]

Thanks for your interest in this thread and my experiences and I hope to see everyone around one day with a functional portable of my own.

So long, for now.

Edit: It’s probably a long shot, but if anyone more experienced would be interested in fixing it for me, I’d send you all the parts for it and pay you, but if you want another portable to add to a collection of some sorts, you can buy it from me too.