Guide Reverse engineering the jumper pak

bentomo

sands mobos in a single swipe
Now that it's easy to put in an expansion pak if you have the right tools by replacing the ram chips. All we have left to do is make our own jumper pak. Now lets get started.

Here is an official nintendo jumper pak, revision 3.

1.jpg

Here's it disassembled.

2.jpg

Here's the front.

3.jpg

Here's a closeup of the traces. Black lines are ground.

4.jpg

Here's the back.

5.jpg

Here are the back components.

6.jpg

Here is a N64 without the jumper pak slot.

7.jpg

Here are the two kinds of components. Red circle is the resistor pack, each one measuring 51 ohms. Blue circle is a surface mount capacitor, 3.3 microfarads.

8.jpg

Here's the wiring diagram I made.
RED: Pins are not connected to anything
Black: pins are ground, remember to tie the ground to all the correct ends of the components
gold: common component connection between all components (except capacitor 5) and two pins
BLUE: pins connected to components
pink. two pins need to be bridged.

LATER REVISIONS OF THE JUMPER PAK DON'T HAVE THE 5TH CAPACITOR, SO PIN 23 CAN BE LEFT UNCONNECTED TO ANYTHING

9.jpg

Here are some notes I took while doing this.

1. Copper pins pattern starts high on the left and ends low on the right.

2. 9 pins are not connected: 1, 4, 10, 14, 18, 23, 33, 34, 35

3. 11 pins are ground: 2, 6, 12, 16, 20, 22, 24, 26, 30, 32, 36

4. 2 pins are connected to eachother: 3, 17

5. 2 pins are connected to common component connection: 8, 28

What are the benefits of this?
Even if you relocate the jumper pak, a little bit still sticks out of the front of the n64. Also if the values are figured out then you can make your own jumper pak. And knowing what pins you can bridge like ground and what aren't connected are nice too. :D

Please point out any mistakes.

This has been confirmed working by several members of the forum.

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
I have a feeling the "common component connection" is some kind of voltage, with the resistor arrays being a pull up for the data line and caps being smoothing caps, but I don't have an N65 on hand to confirm (left it in the dorm room .-.). Also, I would assume the markings on the RAs to mean 51ohms, but again, can't test don't have N65