Discussion Retro Wii

Retro Wii.png

Have you ever decided that the G-Boy and stock Wii consoles are inherently flawed by modern technology? I sure do that is why I have set out to create a Wii that uses several iconic storage mediums. First, the Wii shall use a 1 TB hard drive and a rare 2.88 MB floppy drive. Second, the Wii will achieve a longer runtime than most portables on the market thanks to the power of genuine Samsung 10 Ah lithium cells and a battery management system (BMS). The Retro Wii will contain all Wii motion sensors inside of the portable can be used in games such as Wii Sports Resort, Family Game Night, and Just Dance. This unique console is still in the research and development phase. Table 1 contains details on the parts needed for this build.
StatusPartDescription + prise
On handWii
On hand16325215295828229486483438554358.jpg
2.9 GB Hard drive
This is a 5.25 inch full height SCSI hard drive that weighs a hefty 7.9 pounds.

$90
On hand20210916_111618.jpg
2.88 MB Floppy drive
This is an expensive floppy drive and will be used to store Miis.

$70
On hand2.88 MB Floppy diskettes
On hand20 Ah 2p battery
On handBMS
On hands-l400.jpg
Wii remote
On handButtons
Work in progressSCSI to IDE adapter
On handIDE to DATA adapter
On handSATA to USB adapter

Here is an image of the Wii, hard drive, and floppy drive side by side.
16325221930024510968406648180621.jpg

*** UPDATE | 09-24-2021 ***
With the new hard drive, the original plan to have the floppy drive and hard drive side by side will not work. To accommodate the new hard drive, there will be a second set of batteries with a 12 volt boost converter.

Attachments

Last edited:

StonedEdge

a.k.a. ClonedEdge
Portables
Have you ever decided that the G-Boy and stock Wii consoles are inherently flawed by modern technology?
94060CD1-F445-40DB-80F5-D9BB9D12E521.gif

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
View attachment 18906
Have you ever decided that the G-Boy and stock Wii consoles are inherently flawed by modern technology? I sure do that is why I have set out to create a Wii that uses several iconic storage mediums. First, the Wii shall use a 1 TB hard drive and a rare 2.88 MB floppy drive. Second, the Wii will achieve a longer runtime than most portables on the market thanks to the power of genuine Samsung 10 Ah lithium cells and a battery management system (BMS). The Retro Wii will contain all Wii motion sensors inside of the portable can be used in games such as Wii Sports Resort, Family Game Night, and Just Dance. This unique console is still in the research and development phase. Table 1 contains details on the parts needed for this build.
StatusPartDescription
On handWii
On handView attachment 18907
1 TB Hard drive
On hand2.88 MB Floppy drive
On hand2.88 MB Floppy diskettes
On hand20 Ah 2p battery
On handBMS
On handWii remotes
OrderedButtons
Sarcasm aside, I honestly can't tell if this is an out of season April Fools joke or not. What you've laid out is a terrible plan that will require ridiculously more effort than it's worth, and isn't even possible to achieve. Setting aside how un-smart it is to place a HDD in a portable device that if dropped during operation, will kill the HDD, you can't just make a floppy drive work with a Wii.

Even if you use a modern reproduction floppy drive that can run off a single USB port's worth of 5v, and don't try to interface an ancient IDE brick drive that requires 12v over fucking MOLEX, there's no guarantee that the Wii will even recognise the drive's existance. The Wii was not designed to use that kind of storage, it's finnicky enough with regular USB 2.0 compliant solid state storage (aka: thumb drives). What would you even store on a floppy disk anyway? You can't even fit a compatible NES emulator on a high capacity 2.88MB disk, let alone a ROM for it to play as well. And if, let's play devil's advocate, if the Wii did recognise the floppy drive, the read speeds would be beyond terribad and there is a distinct possibility that all write operations would fail.

Not to mention that it's physically impossible to make this work, as the Wii cannot read/write data to 2 USB devices at the same time. It can index both drives to obtain a list of playable games if you install many custom IOS modules and do several XML edits, but the second you execute a call to read or write data to the second drive, it shuts down drive 1 so that it can use drive 2. So if you had the HDD as your USB device 1 with RVLoader or Wiiflow or whatever loader app you want use + whatever fuck off emulator you're running that uses ROMs small enough to fit on a floppy disk, and have the floppy drive as your USB device 2 (because that's the only way you could do it), attempting to run anything from the floppy drive would immediately cut off access to the HDD, which will cause a major exception (error) in the software and end up being an elaborate way to get yourself a free blackscreen.

I really hope this is a joke, because from what I've seen of your posts in discord you definitely do not have the knowledge or skills to pull off a Benheck article bait project like this. Hell, even Aurelio himself couldn't do it, it's impossible. I don't want to shit all over your dreams, it is an amusing idea and seeing it done would be really funny, but practicality forbids it. I genuinely recommend you tone down your expectations and start off doing something simple and with an established support base, like a G-Wii, so you can learn practically and have access to the knowledge and assistance of many people here who have done it before and can actually help guide you to completion.

Last edited:

cy

Portables
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Probably, the fact that not does this decides why can't be I user more as because I doubt really sure register are loading times toasters... I'm afraid of toasters....

Sarcasm aside, I honestly can't tell if this is an out of season April Fools joke or not. What you've laid out is a terrible plan that will require ridiculously more effort than it's worth, and isn't even possible to achieve. Setting aside how un-smart it is to place a HDD in a portable device that if dropped during operation, will kill the HDD, you can't just make a floppy drive work with a Wii.

Even if you use a modern reproduction floppy drive that can run off a single USB port's worth of 5v, and don't try to interface an ancient IDE brick drive that requires 12v over fucking MOLEX, there's no guarantee that the Wii will even recognise the drive's existance. The Wii was not designed to use that kind of storage, it's finnicky enough with regular USB 2.0 compliant solid state storage (aka: thumb drives). What would you even store on a floppy disk anyway? You can't even fit a compatible NES emulator on a high capacity 2.88MB disk, let alone a ROM for it to play as well. And if, let's play devil's advocate, if the Wii did recognise the floppy drive, the read speeds would be beyond terribad and there is a distinct possibility that all write operations would fail.

Not to mention that it's physically impossible to make this work, as the Wii cannot read/write data to 2 USB devices at the same time. It can index both drives to obtain a list of playable games if you install many custom IOS modules and do several XML edits, but the second you execute a call to read or write data to the second drive, it shuts down drive 1 so that it can use drive 2. So if you had the HDD as your USB device 1 with RVLoader or Wiiflow or whatever loader app you want use + whatever fuck off emulator you're running that uses ROMs small enough to fit on a floppy disk, and have the floppy drive as your USB device 2 (because that's the only way you could do it), attempting to run anything from the floppy drive would immediately cut off access to the HDD, which will cause a major exception (error) in the software and end up being an elaborate way to get yourself a free blackscreen.

I really hope this is a joke, because from what I've seen of your posts in discord you definitely do not have the knowledge or skills to pull off a Benheck article bait project like this. Hell, even Aurelio himself couldn't do it, it's impossible. I don't want to shit all over your dreams, it is an amusing idea and seeing it done would be really funny, but practicality forbids it. I genuinely recommend you tone down your expectations and start off doing something simple and with an established support base, like a G-Wii, so you can learn practically and have access to the knowledge and assistance of many people here who have done it before and can actually help guide you to completion.
You have inspired me.

I dunno if its gotten through your head or not, but as Stitches said, this is literally impossible to accomplish. You can try all you want but physics won't allow the Wii to use two drives. It's as simple as that.
I do not want to use both at once. The hard drive is encharge of games and the floppy is only used for Miis.

Lmao do you know how data works? So you can’t store any modern files on it unless its like a .txt file with a couple words in it. Floppy disks are useless for holding modern files like you plan to do. Lmk when you magically add more data to your floppy disk with a syringe.
A Mii uses 16k or less of storage. I think I could store some on a floppy disk.

A Mii uses 16k or less of storage. I think I could store some on a floppy disk.
Even if you could by some miracle get a floppy disk hooked up to a Wii; literally what will that accomplish? Pair that with your hard drive and you’re in a world of slow ass loading times and a waste of effort. And thats if you even get that far.

The hard disk drive is fine. The original was 1 TB but it was brought to my attention that 1 TB is too much so I opted for one that was a bit smaller.

The hard disk drive is fine. The original was 1 TB but it was brought to my attention that 1 TB is too much so I opted for one that was a bit smaller.
The drive’s size is irrelevant. Just the fact that its a hard drive and most likely a really low RPM HDD makes it a pain in the ass and more trouble than its worth.

The drive’s size is irrelevant. Just the fact that its a hard drive and most likely a really low RPM HDD makes it a pain in the ass and more trouble than its worth.
People did not like the 1TB 5400 rpm HGST harddrive. This is the replacement.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
I do not want to use both at once. The hard drive is encharge of games and the floppy is only used for Miis.
And how exactly do you plan to transfer your Miis onto the floppy drive? The Mii chanel doesn't allow for transferral of Miis onto USB devices, and can't read them off USB devices either.

People did not like the 1TB 5400 rpm HGST harddrive. This is the replacement.
I don't think the 2.5" HDD was really the thing people were hung up on

Last edited:
And how exactly do you plan to transfer your Miis onto the floppy drive? The Mii chanel doesn't allow for transferral of Miis onto USB devices, and can't read them off USB devices either.

I don't think the 2.5" HDD was really the thing people were hung up on
The 2.5 HDD Was apparently not rugged enough and had too much storage. The new drive is a 5.25 in HDD that is more rugged.
I think the floppy drive can emulate an eeprom. Still working on a schematic.