Model Resin Printable Xbox Duke Joysticks

Wesk

Undervolting....
Staff member
The original Xbox "Duke" controller never got replacement or after-market joysticks, so I 3D scanned the joysticks and created new ones from scratch using the scans as a reference.

These models aren't exactly identical to the originals but they are close enough that 99% of people will be happy with them.

I expect to see a lot of Dukes looking fresh af again.

Duke1.png
duke2.png
Duke3.png

Duke5.png
Duke4.png

File is attached but I've also provided a mirror.

Mirror: Duke replacement joysticks

Attachments

Lodad

Made an account just to say thank you!

I hate to ask too much, but are these just the STLs? I'd like to make a version that I can print the nubs and also a mold to put the nubs into to cure some silicone and have rubberized duke sticks.

Wesk

Undervolting....
Staff member
Made an account just to say thank you!

I hate to ask too much, but are these just the STLs? I'd like to make a version that I can print the nubs and also a mold to put the nubs into to cure some silicone and have rubberized duke sticks.
These are only meshes unfortunately.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Nothing wrong with that. I can always get the parameters for stuff. Hopefully I can share that here soon. Thanks for the reply!
Fusion 360 can do an acceptable job at converting the STL mesh into a workable CAD format. Could delete the nubs and extrude your casting frame from the base with relative ease

Lodad

Fusion 360 can do an acceptable job at converting the STL mesh into a workable CAD format. Could delete the nubs and extrude your casting frame from the base with relative ease
Mesh conversion has always been a massive headache for me on there, especially since it leaves the object without parameters or a timeline. I wish I was better at working with established meshes and objects, but I can make something passable from scratch.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Yeah, sadly the good conversion algorithm that does those things is paywalled behind a $500/y subscription...........

Thanks Obama

Lodad

Yeah, sadly the good conversion algorithm that does those things is paywalled behind a $500/y subscription...........

Thanks Obama
I have access to that on a student license. It's not great for low-res meshes, and for more intricate stuff you need beefy processing, then it still takes time and is never perfect.

Wesk

Undervolting....
Staff member
I have access to that on a student license. It's not great for low-res meshes, and for more intricate stuff you need beefy processing, then it still takes time and is never perfect.
Lucky for you these are pretty high res meshes with around 350,000 polys.

Lodad

Lucky for you these are pretty high res meshes with around 350,000 polys.
Whoo!

I just discovered that flexible/rubber-like 3D resins are a thing. I think I'm going to start with a two-part design keyed/mated to each other. Something that slips over the hard plastic like they have for recaps/stick protector sleeves but is notched so it stays aligned.

Qzmaj

Wesk i applaud you for these replacement thumbsticks!
One question. Can you post original scan of whole joypad? I dropped mine and part of housing got broken in to tiny bits. I have 3d printer and i would like to print a patch for my baby. Can you oblige good sir? :D

Wesk

Undervolting....
Staff member
Wesk i applaud you for these replacement thumbsticks!
One question. Can you post original scan of whole joypad? I dropped mine and part of housing got broken in to tiny bits. I have 3d printer and i would like to print a patch for my baby. Can you oblige good sir? :D
Check the 3D scans repository, I think I did the Duke about 2 years ago.