Guide Removing ICs

I was just preparing my board for trimming and I thought I'd post a little guide about removing ICs, provided you don't intend to keep them.

Cut the chip legs with a razor blade on a stick (or whatever they're called)

20170719_180636.jpg

Pick up the main body

20170719_180836.jpg

Desolder and clean the pads

20170719_185723.jpg

PS: not sure why they all uploaded at weird angles

Last edited:
That's it lol, a craft knife!! and as an additional tip, you can make craft knife blades last longer if you own a whetstone

ShockSlayer

the real
Portables
please do not ask!!!! I will NOT respond
I have an X-acto knife that probably sees more use than any of my other tools.

This is definitely one way to do it, if you're trimming or the IC is completely useless/fried. You can also just hit the chip directly with a small blowtorch pen to transfer heat to all the pads. Don't breathe the smoke, and watch out for it popping or cracking little fragments off, and exersize general caution as, well...fire.

It's still a lot better to get a hot-air station for this kinda stuff, or some chip-quik or desoldering braid. An opportunity to practice soldering never hurts.

I'm planing on getting a combo solder station soon, the precision hot air tool is a game changer

I'm thinking so, maybe not much, since they probably didn't use much when the disc drive wasn't in use. Its hard to say without doing a baseline comparison of systems with and without those components