Model Remixed PS2 Ultra Slim cases for SCPH-79001 & Dummy Memory Cards

As mentioned in the project thread, I've edited Wesk's files to use a cheap Arduino Micro SD module rather than chopping up an SD Micro to full sized adapter. I've had bad experiences with those in the past so I wanted to avoid them completely. What these are more durable, there is one setback- the module doesn't have an ACK connection so wiring up a switch would have to be done differently. For my build, this is fine because I wired up an internal Nyko memory card and don't plan on using the ports ever. So I also made some dummy memory card placeholders. Also, please note that the memory card placeholder was intended to be a semi-permanent solution in my build. It's not intended to be inserted and removed easily. You'll most likely have to open up your case in order to remove it once plugged in.

Now, my board was a SCPH-79001, so it was basically the same other than the lid detection switch was actually part of the power button board. The reset line was the same to get function from the board but that portion of the board was missing completely. So I created a simple spacer in order to place a tactile switch such as this one with a 5-8mm pole in the center of the same location.

As for the case, I've remixed two different versions. One with the hole for the intended memory card switch by the original author and one without.

Case Without Switch.png
Case With Switch.png

And so, the Micro SD card slot cover:

SD Cover.png

Hopefully this is useful for someone.

EDIT: Added a version for the Adafruit Module. There is a bottom for the footprint, a version for with or without the switch and the SD Cover for that version all in one zip. The top is the same for all of the other versions and whatnot.

Attachments

Last edited:
Awesome mods! By the way, is there any way to restore original power button functionality?

Awesome mods! By the way, is there any way to restore original power button functionality?
Do you mean like remove the original power button from the PCB of the SCPH-79001? Maybe extremely carefully, but odds are you're going to melt it trying to get it off of there. As for the wiring, it's the same as found in the project thread. You just have to provide a tactile switch in place of where it would normally be and wire it to ground.

icd2k3

Thanks for posting! Gonna give this version a go.

It's not a big deal, but does anyone have ideas about how to hook up a switch? I can't seem to find an SD card reader with ACK connection - maybe it's possible another way?

icd2k3

and did you run into any trouble with the SD card being recognized in OPL? I confirmed all the wiring with a multimeter, but when I launch OPL the SD card doesn't show up (but works fine in a mem card or when connected to another system with the normal sd card adapter)

EDIT: oops, figured it out - ACK needs to be connected to GND :facepalm:

Attachments

Last edited:

icd2k3

Came out awesome! I had to dremel around the switch and card slots a bit, but I think that was more an issue with the print than the files. I wired up the blue light in the back to the IO of the adafruit reader so the blue light will blink as games are loaded

Attachments

For anyone curious, here's the wiring with the optional switch
Hi! Working on a PS2 Ultra Slim atm, I have a Modbo clone installed, working fine from USB. I have wired an Arduino SD card reader, but Infinity won't boot from it, I get that message "Unable to load config file". Any ideas why that is? Thanks!