Question Recommended Power Switch & Bypass

I'm at the point of installing a master power switch for the portable. I was wondering what is recommend for a switch and whether it's ok to bypass/short the N64's power switch. I've attached an abstract of my current power routing plan.

I am currently using a SPST toggle switch and just leave the N64 shorted to ON. Throwing the switch turns everything on at once. Simple enough, but figured I'd better check with the pros before I commit.

Any power switch preferences for an N64 portable? Sliders, push, other?

Thank you for the help and protips.

Attachments

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
Yes it's OK to bypass the power switch altogether, it's just there so you can turn the console off in a normal config. I personally like rocker switches, especially if they have a satisfying click when turning on/off

I've looked all over the net for a diagram of how to short the original power switch to on. Could someone point me to the right direction?

Last edited:
Here's how I shorted the power switch after removal (see attached). Works fine so far. I used 22G solid core wire to short the poles.

Alternatively (if you don't want to desolder), you could have cut off the metal housing on the switch, tossed the plastic lever, then soldered the coper slides across the poles.

Attachments

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Here's how I shorted the power switch after removal (see attached). Works fine so far. I used 22G solid core wire to short the poles.

Alternatively (if you don't want to desolder), you could have cut off the metal housing on the switch, tossed the plastic lever, then soldered the coper slides across the poles.
That looks so much neater than solder blobbing, very nice