Raspberry Pi Zero v1.3 full scans

Here's my one "contribution" to this community: if you ever wanted to fit a pi zero in a super tight place, this should help you.

I mostly wanted to see the inside layers of the pi zero to see what could easily be trimmed, most likely power regulation components, and if other stuff can be relocated also.
I did all this almost a year ago now and I have no excuse for not posting it before :(

The scans
Pi-zero-scans-and-vectorisation-export-1.png

• For the sake of legibility I decided to go further and completely post process them in a way that allows to color code traces easily.
    • I chose Flash (Animate CC) for a few reasons: All drawings are vectors, meaning you can change their whole color without pixel artefacts; they can be resized to any resolution; you can ctrl+F colors.
    • If you have Flash, have a look at the file. I tryied different color codings depending on the situation.
  • The colors are arbitrary. Dark Blue means I haven't found a function for the traces. Light blue is GPIO.
face-1.jpg

face-2.jpg

face-3.jpg

bottom-3.jpg

bottom-1.jpg

vectorisation1.jpg

vectorisation2.jpg

vectorisation3.jpg

vectorisation4.jpg

vectorisation5.jpg

vectorisation6.jpg

Trimming
trim.jpg

• I have not delved deep into pi zero trimming. I wanted to confirm that the GPIO can be trimmed and the Buck regulator relocated.
    • As you may have seen from the scans, it seems the GPIO can't be trimmed without severing an important feed of the 5V line. I would like some input on this to see if I'm wrong.
    • Cutting the board along the end of the OTG USB seems reliable and I've done it twice now. It works pretty well.
    • I would like to see if the leftmost side can be trimmed. The SD reader can be relocated with no problem. But I don't know about the components next to the HDMI. For one, there is a crystal extremely close to the port. Also, I do no know wether the HDMI parts can be completely removed if you use composite or video through the GPIO. Someday maybe I'll investigate this, provided I can get some cheap pi zeroes.
20180508_174347.jpg

Attachments

nobble

This is something I have been questioning recently. Thanks for the leg work! It is very beneficial information.

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
:O I didn't see this was posted until just now! THANK YOU!

Nold

real emulation, no hardware
Staff member
2021 1st Place Winner
Portables
5 + 1*π
google drive link is down.. please attach it to the thread. thx! @lyberty5