Raspberry Pi noob questions thread

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Post any and all questions about the Raspberry Pi here!

Ewhizz

Hi guys I'm not really sure how to start a new thread, I have some questions about raspberry pi stuff, any help would be good. Thanks

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables

Ewhizz

I created a thread in what I thought was the appropriate section, was it not ?
Thanks

Hi guys,
Am reaching out to see if anyone has a better understanding of the raspberry pi then myself (not hard).
Have been running retropie for a while and was all going fine then didn't try it for several months and now it won't boot.
Red power LED and green ACT LED stay constant. Have re-written the SD image and tested different power supplies but still not working, basically am asking to see if there is something I can do to test whether it is actually broken, and therefore I'll need to buy another.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
I created a thread in what I thought was the appropriate section, was it not ?
Thanks

Hi guys,
Am reaching out to see if anyone has a better understanding of the raspberry pi then myself (not hard).
Have been running retropie for a while and was all going fine then didn't try it for several months and now it won't boot.
Red power LED and green ACT LED stay constant. Have re-written the SD image and tested different power supplies but still not working, basically am asking to see if there is something I can do to test whether it is actually broken, and therefore I'll need to buy another.
Here's a link to the official Pi boot problems sticky thread: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=58151
Have a read through it, particularly near the bottom of the original post where it lists the ACT LED error codes.

Anyone have a good pinout for the different solder pads on a rpi 3?

Ewhizz

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Hey guys looking to use 2 Panasonic 18650s to power a raspberry pi 3 and 5inch screen.
I need a booster taking 3.6v to 5v also a charging circuit (preferably one board which can do both), i would like the output to be 3A from the board to assure it will be adequate. These are what i could find but they are separate boards.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C92Y1G6?tag=viglink20248-20
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XQRQR3Q?tag=viglink20248-20

Thanks
Elliot
I wouldn't trust that 3A step up. Assuming it can even sustainably output the current it claims, it's not going to be efficient at all. A Powerboost 1000c is about the best all in one board solution for pi projects, but it only outputs 1A at 5.2v. What do you even need 3A for anyway? A pi, screen and audio amp can pretty easily run on 1A.

Ewhizz

I kept getting a lightning bolt in the upper right hand corner (which meant it was underpowered ) when using the powerboost 1000C. Would the powerboost 1000C work with the 18650s?
Thanks

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
I kept getting a lightning bolt in the upper right hand corner (which meant it was underpowered ) when using the powerboost 1000C. Would the powerboost 1000C work with the 18650s?
Thanks
Yeah, it'd work fine as long as the cells are both at the same voltage when connected to it. Odd that it's being underpowered, what specific screen are you using?

Arzeon

Portables
I am wondering if anyone could help out with my crappy/crackly audio issue. When I plug in a speaker or headphone in the audio jack the problem is present so I don't think the amp or the speaker is the issue. I guess it is power related since I also suspect the minor noise my display suffers from is due to the same issue. And at several occasions (while running psp games for extended periods of time, installing large packages and while booting up). I think the power isn't sufficient because of the current not being enough as every component is connected in parallel to the powerboost 1000c.
You can checkout my wiring on this thread.
Thanks!

PS: Thanks Ewhizz for reminding me to ask about these issues. And thank you stitches for creating this thread!

Edit:
Fixed it by replacing the power wires with thick pc power supply wires. Everything is perfect now.
Thanks guys!

Last edited:

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
I'm using this screen
https://www.adafruit.com/product/1680
This driver board
https://www.adafruit.com/product/2218

As for the batteries they have never been used so they should be the same voltage, is there a way to determine whether the charger in the powerboost 1000C will be adequate?
Thanks
The charge circuit will be adequate, yes. Bit slow at 1A with two cells, but it'll work fine. I might have also discovered why power consumption is an issue for you, HDMI. Using HDMI, wifi and the running LEDs on a pi 3 B increases its running current draw from 230-250ma to 480ma, and a pi 3 B+ from 350-400ma to 950ma. So depending on which model you have, that might be why.

Ewhizz

I am using the 3 B. Could possibly disable wifi and install roms via USB?

The charge circuit will be adequate, yes. Bit slow at 1A with two cells, but it'll work fine. I might have also discovered why power consumption is an issue for you, HDMI. Using HDMI, wifi and the running LEDs on a pi 3 B increases its running current draw from 230-250ma to 480ma, and a pi 3 B+ from 350-400ma to 950ma. So depending on which model you have, that might be why.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
I am using the 3 B. Could possibly disable wifi and install roms via USB?
Yeah, if you know where to put them, you can just put the ROMs straight onto your USB.

Ewhizz

So the linked above screen and driver, a teensy and audio amp with rpi3 wifi deactivated in your opinion should be powered fine off a 1000C?

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
So the linked above screen and driver, a teensy and audio amp with rpi3 wifi deactivated in your opinion should be powered fine off a 1000C?
If you set the screen backlight to low as dictated in the driver board listing, I think so, yes. It's been done before.

Ewhizz

I might use a rpi 2 to be safe and get the screen looking nice and bright, at least until a better power option arises. Only issue now is getting sound that isn't crackling