Raspberry Pi and rom hack emulation

Hello, everyone. I decided to hold off of the portable PS2(as that seems like hell at the moment) and have decided to work with something a lot more simple, a portable raspberry pi. I know that the raspberry pi is capable of emulating games, but I have not seen any accounts of ANY pi being capable of running ROM hacks of those games ( fan made games like brutal Mario, which is a phenomenal fan game of super Mario world, i recommend it. And others like Pokémon glazed version and Kaizo Mario) I would assume it would have the same principle as running a normal emulation of a game but i'm not sure if there are any differences( since the fan games add extra stuff and demand to use emulation to work). If anyone can help me clear any of this up, I would greatly appreciate it.

Hi,

I do'nt know if this is still relevant or not but first you should look at what platform you want to emulate as not all the PI versions are able to emulate all the platforms.
As far as I know the pi zero will only emulate up until the GBA or maybe with luck PS1/PSX
On the other hand I've seen PI 4's emulate PS2 and Wii so it all depends on the space and RPI version you got.

Other than that I think if you're going with retropie, that indeed custom games won't work as it's linked to a databasefor art and so on.
If you plan on using retroarch or other more custom developed sources, you might be in more luck as more soft tweaking is possible.

Dmcke5

2020 1st Place Winner
Portables
Hi,

I do'nt know if this is still relevant or not but first you should look at what platform you want to emulate as not all the PI versions are able to emulate all the platforms.
As far as I know the pi zero will only emulate up until the GBA or maybe with luck PS1/PSX
On the other hand I've seen PI 4's emulate PS2 and Wii so it all depends on the space and RPI version you got.

Other than that I think if you're going with retropie, that indeed custom games won't work as it's linked to a databasefor art and so on.
If you plan on using retroarch or other more custom developed sources, you might be in more luck as more soft tweaking is possible.
I'm sorry, there's no way pi 4 can currently run Wii and PS2. I've seen some GameCube games that are maybe close to playable, but still far from perfect. Also retropie will absolutely run custom rom hacks. You may have to manually load cover art for the game if you want it, but for any console it can normally play it should have no trouble with a rom hack.

ah then I was underestimating Retropie, my apologies

about that PS2, you might want to reconsider, as I'm playing PS2 at home on the PI4 slightly overclocked.
I'm agreeing it's not the most fluent and most beautifull, but there are ways to achieve it

Would be interested to know what emulator you are using for ps2 on the pi?

Dmcke5

2020 1st Place Winner
Portables
ah then I was underestimating Retropie, my apologies

about that PS2, you might want to reconsider, as I'm playing PS2 at home on the PI4 slightly overclocked.
I'm agreeing it's not the most fluent and most beautifull, but there are ways to achieve it
Happy to be proven wrong, but I'm going to need to see a video or something to believe it. I've done a fair bit of googling and I'm struggling to find even one example of someone trying it, let alone having it run with "playable" performance. If you haven't got a video feel free to send your settings/emulator and I'll fire it up on my pi 4 and see how it looks.

CrashBash

No emulation, real hardware
Staff member
Happy to be proven wrong, but I'm going to need to see a video or something to believe it. I've done a fair bit of googling and I'm struggling to find even one example of someone trying it, let alone having it run with "playable" performance. If you haven't got a video feel free to send your settings/emulator and I'll fire it up on my pi 4 and see how it looks.
I'd agree with this. I'd especially would be surprised by something like ratchet and clank or jack being playable due to their engines.
Hell my desktop can't play RaC or Jack really.

Dmcke5

2020 1st Place Winner
Portables
I'd agree with this. I'd especially would be surprised by something like ratchet and clank or jack being playable due to their engines.
Hell my desktop can't play RaC or Jack really.
Yeah, I'm on a Ryzen 5 2600, 32g of ram with a GTX1660 Super and I still struggle to get a playable frame rate out of the first ratchet and Clank game in some places (metropolis, for example). There's definitely other games that run perfectly even on much lower end hardware, but not on a slightly over-clocked pi 4.