Question questions regarding Power Consumption & charging

starting work on a portable Wii, last time I was active modding in Wii was a decade ago, 4.2U. Never dabbled in portablizing or board trims, so this is all really cool exciting stuff to me, but I'm not sure on best practices for power control.

I have an OLD wii (-01 motherboard, I still have the box as I was like 141st one sold in US) so I assume power consumption will be high, closer to 20W then 10W of a -30 or newer board. But what effect on this does the OMGWTF 6layer trim have? obviously the wifi module, power and temp safety components, and Disc Drive get axed... but I'm running a 5" LCD&Driver off 3.3v and the speakers as well, what should I expect as a total draw??

Because of the above, I'm wondering what sort of deliverable voltage should I plan for? is a 2S2P of 18650s acceptable/standard?
It would give me 7.4v and around 7Ah which seems like aprox. 2 hrs of charge (7x7.2)/(20W)*.8 with .8 being my accounting for non-perfect discharge/charge conditions and battery imperfection. Is the 7.4v required for running a Wii board? or could I get away with 1s2p?

I have batteries picked out:THESE

and a CMB, but I'm concerned on this one..., as it requires a 9-15V in for charging. I'm wanting to be able to charge off of my same power adptr as my Cellphone (USB-C 5v 2a) so I'm wondering what if any solutions the community has come up with to push a charge to a 7000mAh bank? I noted the all-in-one power management boards on the bitbuild store, but that's fairly costly given the alternatives in the wild. Not to mention I'm in no shortage of components to draft up my own PCB, just not the most skilled with power electronics :P

Koboid

The trim allows you to use custom regulators so that you can use a < 12V input, and of course that will slightly improve efficiency but for a 6 layer board you can still expect around a 15-20W power draw.. It's best to just pick up a 4 layer since the Wii board itself is only around 10 dollars if you look in the right places, and there are methods to select 4 layer boards without looking at them.

If you want to use USB C, you can either make a breakout board which just has the port and a 5.1k pulldown resistor on each CC pin (I'm sure these exist already somewhere too). Of course that limits you to 15W max to charge which is not great. In addition your charging circuit would need to support 5v as you mentioned. I would suggest you use the USB C board alongside the Wii PMS from the bitbuilt store which is an all in 1 solution to regulators and battery management. The USB C board with the PMS natively supports USB C PD to charge at much higher wattages.

Also, there's no need to post the same thing in 2 different threads.
Take note

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Dude, keep that thing as a piece of history. Don't murder it D:

Dude, keep that thing as a piece of history. Don't murder it D:
i am. ended up getting a xx-40 board. my old one was already softmodded and has no issue with coverfloader/homebrew channel as-is so ill keep it. maybe make a battery pack an/or screen, but preserve internals :)