Solved Questions before Wii Portable

I intend to make a Wii Portable after looking around the forums for a couple months for old work logs and Wii trimming guides. After going through these posts I have run into a few questions. First, I know that you need an audio amp to run speakers but do you need it to run a 3.5mm jack, I ask this because I know headphone jacks need only a few (like 12) miliwatts. Also this question may seem basic but can you run two audio or video outputs by just soldering two wires together to the output of do you need to add a switch in?

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
You should check out the Uamp for your portable audio needs. It does everything basically, speaker and headphones and volume control with various audio inputs.

Generally you should not split audio by wiring to the same point. They should be separately buffered or use a multiplexer switch so only one channel is conducting at a time.

You should check out the Uamp for your portable audio needs. It does everything basically, speaker and headphones and volume control with various audio inputs.

Generally you should not split audio by wiring to the same point. They should be separately buffered or use a multiplexer switch so only one channel is conducting at a time.
Thanks alot Gman! You mentioned that you shouldn't split audio, does this also apply to video? Thanks for introducing me to the Uamp as well. It is expensive but I think I'll make the sound quality sound great.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Thanks alot Gman! You mentioned that you shouldn't split audio, does this also apply to video? Thanks for introducing me to the Uamp as well. It is expensive but I think I'll make the sound quality sound great.
It does indeed. Split video is rather washed out and lacking detail.

They should be separately buffered or use a multiplexer switch so only one channel is conducting at a time.
What do you mean by buffering? Are you talking about wiring them to different parts and adding a switch to make it turn off? If this is the case I might do it for video.

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
What do you mean by buffering? Are you talking about wiring them to different parts and adding a switch to make it turn off? If this is the case I might do it for video.
I mean using an amplifier to provide isolation between the 2 sources. Like what stitches said, If you dont the image will be washed out

I mean using an amplifier to provide isolation between the 2 sources. Like what stitches said, If you dont the image will be washed out
Thanks!

Edit: Sorry to unsolve this thread but would a video splitter be okay to use, or would a video amplifier be necessary? I ask this to save the battery life, not to be cheap.

Last edited:
For those who don't know, it's around the time of Chinese New Year and the Kung Flu is also spreading. This means that if you go on eBay you'll get alot of "Sellers away". My question is can you use solid core wire for some of the relocations like U10, or should you just use stranded. I have a bunch of spare random wire from broken trinkets I cut the wire out of.

BASE6

The trimming guide shows wire wrapping wire "solid core wire" being used for the U10 relocation. I personally used #30 AWG magnetic wire for the U10 relocation.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
For those who don't know, it's around the time of Chinese New Year and the Kung Flu is also spreading. This means that if you go on eBay you'll get alot of "Sellers away". My question is can you use solid core wire for some of the relocations like U10, or should you just use stranded. I have a bunch of spare random wire from broken trinkets I cut the wire out of.
You can use thin stranded wire if you have to, but solid core or enameled magnet wire is best for the application.

Question time again! I was at school in PE, I broke my arm so I was making a technical sketch of a portable Wii, when I came across the fact that the protection and via parts of the USB ports are outside the trim. How am I supposed to relocate it? If I'm missing an obvious via or connection point I'm sorry. Also, in the VGA mod I don't really understand what the Syncs are for.

I'm using this magnet wire to do my u10 relocation and it worked just fine.
Cool, that was posted at the time of the Lunar New year. Now most sellers are back and I'm not so desperate for getting wires quickly.
The most recent questions are the unanswered ones.

Last edited:

splain

Question time again! I was at school in PE, I broke my arm so I was making a technical sketch of a portable Wii, when I came across the fact that the protection and via parts of the USB ports are outside the trim. How am I supposed to relocate it? If I'm missing an obvious via or connection point I'm sorry. Also, in the VGA mod I don't really understand what the Syncs are for.
The trimming guide has a section for USB and what gets wired to where.
https://bitbuilt.net/forums/index.php?threads/the-definitive-wii-trimming-guide.198/#post-1492

As for VGA, that's just how VGA works. There are 5 active signals: R, G, B, Hsync, Vsync. You can look up more details and how a VGA video signal is constructed if you're curious. It's interesting stuff actually.