Question Questions before I buy parts for N64 portable

Just want to make sure of a few things before I start my portable project (ill be putting up a worklog on here for all to see), I've already done a boatload of research and have my materials.

1. I did not find any premade CAD files in the 3d printing section.. is there a resource where you guys go to for these? Or do you typically make your own? I found a gameboy advance plastic case that ill be using for my portable, but if things go wrong I want the 3d option as a backup.

2. Expansion pack is a pita to trim and nearly impossible to relocate, yet it seems crazy to not be able to play majoras mask on my portable :). Whats the consensus here? Trim up the jumper pak and desolder/replace the ram with 4mb from the mem pak? Can I trim the Jumper pack like so?

thanks for very much for taking the time to read this and answer any of my questions

Last edited:

Noah

retired
Portables
Correct, what you're talking about is known as "RAM swapping" and more info on that can be found here:

https://bitbuilt.net/forums/index.php?threads/full-ram-swapping-guide.59/

As far as the jumper pak goes, you really shouldn't need to solder it to the board unless you really need the space because it's tricky to do.

I'd try and get a rev 5 console because they're able to be RAM swapped and trimmed smaller than revs 1-4.

Thanks for your answer,
I took a look at that guide and all the other guides in that section of the forum.. theyre very helpful!

Last edited:

Matthew

Formally known as Chaos
Portables
1. I did not find any premade CAD files in the 3d printing section.. is there a resource where you guys go to for these? Or do you typically make your own? I found a gameboy advance plastic case that ill be using for my portable, but if things go wrong I want the 3d option as a backup.
Most users who make 3d models typically spend weeks perfecting them and even then they are made specifically for the parts they have. That being said most users choose not to share all of their work. If you like a particular model you could probably pay them to print off that design and send it to you. Otherwise, you will have to make your own.

Last edited:
On my 2nd portable i slit through the back of the expansion pack pcb a bit so that i could bend it on the traces. saves you alot of space, and is quite easy to do if you are patient and carefull.