Question Questioning the possibility of turning a Gamecube controller into a Joy Con, need help from veterans

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
Sounds cool! You can put your worklog in the GameCube section since it is a GameCube controller mod of sorts, or you can put it in the Other section, whichever you prefer.

Good luck!

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
Ayyy haha I'm glad you're doing this :D I was seriously considering doing it myself but I'd love to have someone else do it (I need to stop doing gcc related projects). Do you mind if I ask why you don't want the rails? Will you be putting both halves into one complete wavebird rather than two separate pieces?

I started on it a little bit but it would be uncomfortably wide the way I was doing it imo so I didn't get further than this. Please let me know if you have any wavebird questions haha. I've mapped out the pcb and posted it somewhere around here if you want it.

20180907_125255.jpg

I have always held the wavebird near and dear to my heart and i wanted to have it ready for when small ultimate comes out in Dec. The rails thing is totally a cool way to go but part the above reason and part necessity driven by a mishap when converting my joycon to BassTop's atomic purple shells. I broke the little black retaining lever that keeps the rail button assembly ribbon in place on the main pcb. I'm very excited to do this as I've always been one to take things apart and now I'm determined to put them back together as well . Additionally I'm not sure i could build a solid enough rail into the gcn-con to withstand the pressure i put on it during smash.

I forgot to mention in my initial post about all the extra inputs to add into a gcn. You need a photo capture, +, -, sync, two thumb stick presses and a second Z on the left. Here's my rough cut for my second Z
5C1255B7-12BF-439E-BA85-517B751825EC.jpeg