Question about Switching and Linear regulators...

Hi, I am using 4 PTH08080 TI regulators in my PS2 Portable build. Under the trimming guide, it recommended a 1.75V linear regulator instead of a switching regulator set to 1.75V. I had to order the regulators in lots of 2, so I have 4. Should I just use a switching regulator or should I shell out the cash for the linear? If this causes the PS2 to crash then I would just go with the linear. Does anyone know how much difference it should make?

Thanks.

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
Hi, I am using 4 PTH08080 TI regulators in my PS2 Portable build. Under the trimming guide, it recommended a 1.75V linear regulator instead of a switching regulator set to 1.75V. I had to order the regulators in lots of 2, so I have 4. Should I just use a switching regulator or should I shell out the cash for the linear? If this causes the PS2 to crash then I would just go with the linear. Does anyone know how much difference it should make?

Thanks.
Hi,

I would advise against using the PTH08080 for the 1.2v on the ps2. The current on this voltage exceeds what the regulator can safely put out. Maybe try the PTR08100 instead.

Actually I wouldn't even recommend using it for the other ones too. The 1.7v and 2.5v barely use any current so it is very inefficient to use the PTH08080 for these.

Yes it makes a difference. In my testing using a PTH08080 for 1.7v, the ps2 would not consistently boot every time. It is possible to use a more stable switching regulator for this but again it is so little current so not much power is wasted from using a linear regulator.

Hi,

I would advise against using the PTH08080 for the 1.2v on the ps2. The current on this voltage exceeds what the regulator can safely put out. Maybe try the PTR08100 instead.

Actually I wouldn't even recommend using it for the other ones too. The 1.7v and 2.5v barely use any current so it is very inefficient to use the PTH08080 for these.

Yes it makes a difference. In my testing using a PTH08080 for 1.7v, the ps2 would not consistently boot every time. It is possible to use a more stable switching regulator for this but again it is so little current so not much power is wasted from using a linear regulator.
Thanks, So should I just go with Linear regulators for all of the values? Or Should I invest in the PTR08100 ?
Thanks again. EDIT: turns out that I actually already bought the PTH08080 =/ So should I just stick with that or the options listed above.

Last edited:

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
Thanks, So should I just go with Linear regulators for all of the values? Or Should I invest in the PTR08100 ?
Thanks again. EDIT: turns out that I actually already bought the PTH08080 =/ So should I just stick with that or the options listed above.
DO NOT USE PTH08080 for 1.2v!! Not good idea..

It's up to you, the configuration is endless and there are plus and minus to each one. My personal setup is currently 4A switching regulator for 1.2v, 2A switching regulator for 3.3v, and 400ma linear regulator for both 1.7v and 2.5v.

DO NOT USE PTH08080 for 1.2v!! Not good idea..

It's up to you, the configuration is endless and there are plus and minus to each one. My personal setup is currently 4A switching regulator for 1.2v, 2A switching regulator for 3.3v, and 400ma linear regulator for both 1.7v and 2.5v.
Is this-
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Linear-LT1...353409?hash=item1a17bc1b41:g:nlIAAOSwtnpXk2wA
what are you referring to?
Thanks, if not, can you send me some links =), also, side question, when applying the voltage in the guide, do I just apply it anywhere that is color coded?
Thanks also.