Question Question about power consumption (6 vs 4 layers)

I am planning to build a wii portable (worklog coming soon), and after lurking around and reading for a while, i think i pretty much know the work flow of building one, and the shopping list is pretty much complete.

It seems that 4 layer board are the optimal choice for portables, but those are pretty hard to come by in Hong Hong (after search for hours at the games hub of the city:'().

I want to know how big the difference actually is, on power and heat dissipation, between the two types of board(e.g cpu-20 vs cpu-40) and how long the battery will last If i use 4 Panasonic 18650 like everyone else.

Also by looking at the trimming guides, the OM6 trim seems a bit smaller than the standard OMGWTF trim, is that true?

I also plan to do a trim on the gamecube controller (as shipping seems really expensive to here), Could anyone share their experience with me?(i have already read ashen's guide but still a bit unsure)

Thank you for your help in advance.;)
(insert obligatory non-English speaker "sorry for bad engrish")

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
The OM6 trim is slightly smaller than the OMGWTF trim, but power consumption on the 6 layer is around 40 percent more than a 4 layer. With 4 18650s you'll get around 3.5 hours of battery life. With a 6 layer you'll get about half that. I highly recommend you use a GC+ instead of a GameCube controller. It is open source so you can order the board yourself and assemble it yourself. You live in China so that should be extremely cheap.

xsping

for gc part, i recommend to buy secondhand gc controller and trim it, i already bought some China -made gc controller at half dollar per piece, they are easy to trim and let it function

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
for gc part, i recommend to buy secondhand gc controller and trim it, i already bought some China -made gc controller at half dollar per piece, they are easy to trim and let it function
GC+ is objectively the cleaner solution. It will cost probably < 5 dollars in parts in China and you get a smaller component for your portable that is easier to work with (no need to solder to legs of the IC), not to mention the mounting holes.