Question Q*Mini Eligibility for Summer Building Competition

(There is a TL;DR at the bottom.)
I have come up with a cheap, quick, and easy portable that I would like to "make". I say "make" because it actually is already made, I am simply modifying it. I found a Q*bert mini arcade game at a thrift store for a couple bucks, and I played around with it for a bit, but ultimately the controls just weren't very comfortable, and the shape is pretty clunky, so it was put up in the closet and forgotten. Cut to about 3 years later, and I discovered this website, along with portablizing in general. I would like to make a Wii portable, but the other day, I found this little game, remembered the ~15 minutes of fun I had before it became too uncomfortable, and decided that redesigning it would be a good warm-up to making a full-blown Wii portable. Here is a link to an amazon listing for the mini arcade game, and here is a link to a quick video of me playing it (please excuse the poor video and gameplay quality.) The design is going to be inspired by the Gameboy Advance. I can start on this pretty much immediately, but I was wondering if this was something that would be eligible for entry into the summer building competition if I wait. The thing is, the game itself is already a thing, by which I mean I am simply rearranging stuff. I wont be trimming any boards to make it smaller, just getting rid of empty space. The only modifications I will be making to the circuitry itself are:
(1) A custom pcb for the buttons since they will be on opposite sides of the screen instead of below the screen.
(2) Replacing the joystick, which internally is just a rotated d-pad, with an actual d-pad to make it more comfortable.
(3) Replacing the 3 AA batteries with Li-Po cells and a micro-USB charger port.

As implied before, I will be making a brand new case, which will be 3D-printed, and will look something like this: (note - this is just a rough drawing; it is not to scale, nor is it the definitive final design.)
upload_2020-3-24_22-48-14.png

TL;DR: I would like to redesign this Q*bert mini arcade game so that I can have a lot more fun playing it, and I was wondering if it would be an eligible entry into the summer building competition, based on the modifications I am going to be making to an already "portable" console.

Last edited:

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
Generally the rules aren't super strict about when you start a project, so long as it's definitely a 2020 project and not a project you've been working on for years.

Sweet. I definitely don’t expect to win or even do very well, but I figure this is probably a good place to start. Now that I’ve thought about it, putting in the features I’m planning on means that I’m going to be modifying quite a bit more of the game than I thought, but I feel pretty confident nonetheless. Plus, this will give me something to work on while I’m practicing my social distancing skills. It’s like the opposite of grinding your social and charisma stats.