Question PSP Mods

I couldn't decide if this should go here or in the Sony forum, but in the end I chose here. So, I've stumbled across a metric buttload of (mostly faulty) PSPs and gotten a few back in working order. I've added some to The Collection as is, but I want to mod one of them. So my question is this: do you all know of any mods (and more specifically, guides) that I can try out???

I've learned about F00 (iirc was his name) and some of the mods he's done, but I cant find any guides. I've got some ideas, but was wondering what you all might come up with. I think first I will attempt a battery mod.

Matthew

Formally known as Chaos
Portables
We don't really do much with the psp in this community. Not that others may have done something in their free time. As such, your best bet would probably just what you could find from a google search.

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
I've put a cfw on my psp so it can play emulators and stuff, but no hardware mods

fibbef

Wizardry V Completer
lovablechevy (not a BitBuilt member) once was working on a mod to consolize a PSP. She basically took a 3000 model, connected it to a TV using an OEM component cable, and was working on connecting a controller using (I think) a micro HDMI connector. Afaik she never finished the project, but it was still pretty cool.

Portables
The best one that I know of for a PSP-1000 model is adding a second joystick. I did this one to one of my PSPs and it worked great for the FPS titles. The problem was getting the modded stick to fit into the modded faceplate without any shorts frying the action button module.

I'm sure I still have the circuit design somewhere that you can get made or etch yourself if you're interested.

This wasn't a "true" analog stick, but it was better than directly using the action buttons as aim/move in the few FPS titles made for the PSP.

Edit:
Regarding guides, I don't know if the site is still active, but PSP-Hacks.com used to be the goto source for firmware modding.

A forum that I frequented when it was active was mph-forums (definitely a dead site and I don't remember the exact name, sorry, it was over 10 years ago after all).

You should be able to use the wayback machine to view at least parts of those sites.

Last edited:
I always wanted to mod a PSP, but the mother board on mine fried ( system would always cut off at random intervals) so it kinda blows. I wish you good luck on modding it