real emulation, no hardware
Staff member
2021 1st Place Winner
Portables
5 + 1*π
# PS2DMG - Contest Entry 2022 - Worklog

1656878195144.png

## Prologue
Actually I wanted to wait with the Worklog, until I have successfully relocated the Video DAC chip on a PS2.. but since I already put so much work into the designing process, I think it's about time to let you guys know what i'm working on this year.

Again I'm trying to push myself further beyond [TM] to built the best portable i ever bitbuilt, yet! After way to many Wiis it was time to face the PS2 again. Some of you might remember my last PS2 "Adventure"..

The 2SP eventually died & is going to be stripped apart for this project. So it's basically the 2SPs Legacy built.

anyways, this time with new energy & a new and unique design idea,
1656878607085.png

lets get to it...

## Planed Features

- PS2 Portable with Original Gameboy DMG Size & Shaped case
- PS2 Slim trim, hopefully incl. crazy ass gman style video DAC relocation
- Internal MemoryCard for FreeMCBoot
- Internal MicroSD Slot for MX4SIO
- External USB-Slot for STUFF
- Digital Audio using U-Amp Clone
- PS2Plus Controller with Switch analogs
- 3.5" 480p 4:3 IPS Screen, VGA
- Custom PCB Memes
- …

### Optinal Features / Ideas
- "Link port" for Ethernet
- Original PS2 Buttons & DPad vs. PSP/PS Vita ones?!
- Name? Current Codename: PlayBoy!

## PCBs
Ok, this time i'm really going crazy. I currently have 6 PCBs in mind:

1. PMS Clone [it's not pretty, but it's mine]
1656877409572.png

2. Shoulder Buttons
3. DPad/Button/PS2Plus
4. Volume/Power Buttons, USB-C Charging, USB-Slot for the PS2, LED, … MicroSD for MX4SIO!
1656877830590.png

5. Video DAC Relocation [ordered!]
1656877868921.png

6. Audio Amp, Speaker, Headphone jack, Start/Select Buttons... flying by! pew, pew, pew!1..
1656877905736.png

Yea, lets hope they'll work.. at least a bit..

## Case Design

We all know what a DMG looks like.. so i took the measurements from it & recreated the case in Fusion 360. Changing a few bits to make printing easier or because of the upgraded components.

Ofc I took heavy "inspiration" on the GBoy. It's design is so well made, you would be stupid not to do so! Some things just came naturally like the Speaker & Headphone jack PCB.. And ofc all with a bit of noldtronics custom work.

So this is what we are currently looking at:

1656878329652.png

1656878342181.png

Space-wise it seems to fit fairly well. The Video DAC relocation makes room for a nice & simple cooling setup & there is still plently of space left inside the case. [in theory ;-) .. ]

1656878362222.png

## What's next?
I'm moving places this month so not much time left for this. But after that i'll setup a new & better workshop and this project is on my top list.

Once I confirmed the DAC relocation working, i will order the other parts.

Until then, stay clean. nold.

1656879043553.jpeg

Attachments

Excellent design, I just love the DMG form factor, looking forward to your updates!
Why not push the design just a tad further with a DMG-like power switch, volume analogue wheel and contrast wheel?

Nold

Staff member
2021 1st Place Winner
Portables
5 + 1*π
Why not push the design just a tad further with a DMG-like power switch, volume analogue wheel and contrast wheel?
I was thinking about the Powerswitch & Volume wheel already. the sliding switch might be doable but idk if i want to hassle with it. The volume wheel on the other hand might be nice. I'll take a second look at it!

# PS2DMG - Contest Entry 2022 - Worklog

View attachment 23519

## Prologue
Actually I wanted to wait with the Worklog, until I have successfully relocated the Video DAC chip on a PS2.. but since I already put so much work into the designing process, I think it's about time to let you guys know what i'm working on this year.

Again I'm trying to push myself further beyond [TM] to built the best portable i ever bitbuilt, yet! After way to many Wiis it was time to face the PS2 again. Some of you might remember my last PS2 "Adventure"..

The 2SP eventually died & is going to be stripped apart for this project. So it's basically the 2SPs Legacy built.

anyways, this time with new energy & a new and unique design idea,

lets get to it...

## Planed Features

- PS2 Portable with Original Gameboy DMG Size & Shaped case
- PS2 Slim trim, hopefully incl. crazy ass gman style video DAC relocation
- Internal MemoryCard for FreeMCBoot
- Internal MicroSD Slot for MX4SIO
- External USB-Slot for STUFF
- Digital Audio using U-Amp Clone
- PS2Plus Controller with Switch analogs
- 3.5" 480p 4:3 IPS Screen, VGA
- Custom PCB Memes
- …

### Optinal Features / Ideas
- "Link port" for Ethernet
- Original PS2 Buttons & DPad vs. PSP/PS Vita ones?!
- Name? Current Codename: PlayBoy!

## PCBs
Ok, this time i'm really going crazy. I currently have 6 PCBs in mind:

1. PMS Clone [it's not pretty, but it's mine]
View attachment 23513
2. Shoulder Buttons
3. DPad/Button/PS2Plus
4. Volume/Power Buttons, USB-C Charging, USB-Slot for the PS2, LED, … MicroSD for MX4SIO!
View attachment 23516
5. Video DAC Relocation [ordered!]
View attachment 23517
6. Audio Amp, Speaker, Headphone jack, Start/Select Buttons... flying by! pew, pew, pew!1..
View attachment 23518

Yea, lets hope they'll work.. at least a bit..

## Case Design

We all know what a DMG looks like.. so i took the measurements from it & recreated the case in Fusion 360. Changing a few bits to make printing easier or because of the upgraded components.

Ofc I took heavy "inspiration" on the GBoy. It's design is so well made, you would be stupid not to do so! Some things just came naturally like the Speaker & Headphone jack PCB.. And ofc all with a bit of noldtronics custom work.

So this is what we are currently looking at:

View attachment 23520

View attachment 23521

Space-wise it seems to fit fairly well. The Video DAC relocation makes room for a nice & simple cooling setup & there is still plently of space left inside the case. [in theory ;-) .. ]

View attachment 23522

## What's next?
I'm moving places this month so not much time left for this. But after that i'll setup a new & better workshop and this project is on my top list.

Once I confirmed the DAC relocation working, i will order the other parts.

Until then, stay clean. nold.

1656952026455.png

Nice! looks very clean. I thought about doing this as well but after finding how hot the DAC gets, I was thinking of going the Gman route of just replacing the Sony DAC altogether with the THS8135 from TI and see if I get better results power efficiency and heat wise. Looking forward to this project!

Nold

Staff member
2021 1st Place Winner
Portables
5 + 1*π
I noticed my PS2 SCPH-7900x mainboard lookes a bit different from the ones in the guide. And taking a closer look to the AV DAC area of the board, i quickly realized it had vias for all AV data lines. Which means this revision is perfect for a rather simple DAC relocation!

To gather more information about this board revision, i quickly disassembled another two SCPH-79004 PS2s and discovered yey another GH-061-51.

There are quite a few notiveable differences beween this GH-061-51 revision and the other GH-062-12 i have e.g.:
- Different Networkport / with additional filtering component
- Many components are positioned differently like the 5V regulators
- NO Heatsink & different fan!

gh-061-51-bottom-components.jpggh-061-51-top-components.jpg

Since I now had two boards of this revision, I went ahead, sanded one board down & scanned it, to create a poor man's compendium & map all required relocations, most importantly: the digital AV vias

1659371461281.png

Still some work todo, but it's looking pretty good so far.

Nold

Staff member
2021 1st Place Winner
Portables
5 + 1*π
meanwhile i killed my remaining GH-061-51 and had to go full gman style on the GH-062-12..
This was by FAR my worst relocation, yet. So many tiny wires & traces... oof...

Composite didn't work today, but I could get something on G [from RGB]... so that's good for me today! VGA wiring is next i guess...

1660413812811.jpeg

1660413887608.jpeg

For the trace reloations I used 0.02mm magnet wire.. it's so tiny, i had to use a microscope to even see it clearly. >.<

1660413987851.png

Also here are the scans of my gh-061-51: https://git.nold.in/nold/ps2-doc/

Nold

Staff member
2021 1st Place Winner
Portables
5 + 1*π
Since I couldn't make my DAC relocation output anything but green, i disassembled the 2SP remains & trimmed it a little smaller. I guess i can still make it work without the relocation...

confident that we can somehow make this work, i ordered the remaining PCBs.. fingers crossed!

amp.png

buttons.png

top.png

sb.png

Nold

Staff member
2021 1st Place Winner
Portables
5 + 1*π
Great to see something so well planned.
well.. we'll see how well it's planned once i start putting everything together.. xD

Nold

Staff member
2021 1st Place Winner
Portables
5 + 1*π
Which version of the IP2721 are you going to use and set to which voltage?
That's a good question!

I want to use the "normal" IP2721 i guess.. or whatever my totally legit aliexpress source sends me ;-) .. I would love to get the 12V version, but i guess it's rather hard to obtain.
So the options are 20v, 15V and 5V out. Given that the max. input voltage of the PMS is 14V, i might be stuck at 5V :/

Maybe i can find a cheap PD board to scavenge a 12V version from.. we'll see.

YveltalGriffin

First Wii U Trimmer
Portables
ChinaMxin on AliExpress has all three versions of the IP2721 in stock!
  • Regular IP2721: 5V, 15V, 20V
  • IP2721_MAX12: 5V, 9V, 12V
  • IP2721_D: 5V, 9V, 12V, 15V, 20V
New datasheet that includes info on the D version.

ip2721_table.jpg

The new IP2721_D version uses both the SEL and SELP pins to set the negotiated voltage. The datasheet is a little unclear but I think you tie SELP and SEL high for 12V, and tie SELP high but leave SEL floating for 9V. I don't have any IP2721_Ds to verify this with though. Happy PD'ing! :D

Nold

Staff member
2021 1st Place Winner
Portables
5 + 1*π
Let there be PCBs!!1

1661275872349.jpeg

And damn they hot & fit great so far! sadly i'm still waiting on mouser to ship my parts :(

Meanwhile i did some more work on the case, made the advanced board trim fit & developed a [hopefully] sufficient cooling solution.
ps2-heatsink-testing.png

ps2-heatsink.png

That's a good question!

I want to use the "normal" IP2721 i guess.. or whatever my totally legit aliexpress source sends me ;-) .. I would love to get the 12V version, but i guess it's rather hard to obtain.
So the options are 20v, 15V and 5V out. Given that the max. input voltage of the PMS is 14V, i might be stuck at 5V :/

Maybe i can find a cheap PD board to scavenge a 12V version from.. we'll see.
Noob question:
What benefits do you get from a higher voltage when it will be stepped down anyway?

Last edited: