PS2 Ultra Slim

@Wesk: I've replaced the SD micro adapter portion with one of those cheap Micro SD Arduino Modules in my personal build remixing your file. With your permission, I'll release it here. Otherwise I'll just keep it to myself. The problem with this is that the module doesn't have an ACK connection and I figure I could just wire it differently, I figure I'll just make my own mock memory card that fits the design of the front and be done with it since I don't plan on using the second port anyway. Also, I was using an SCPH-79001, so my lid switch was located to the power board rather than on the board itself. On the 79001, the board just ends about 15mm in so I designed a place holder for a simple tact switch there as well. Of course others would have to use a similar type of switch to make it fit properly or I can provide an editable file for that as well. Mine has about a 5mm pole in the center so it works fine with the button presses and creates an 'L' around the pole so it isn't going anywhere. Oh yeah, I redesigned the SD bracket as well to fill the space above the SD card so the card doesn't get lost inside the case upon insertion. Here is my reddit post of the "prototype" I made, which is most likely my final version as far as it goes for myself.

View attachment 26728View attachment 26729View attachment 26730
Hi there, can you please post your edited stl?

Last edited:
As mentioned previously, here are files from my personal contributions including the dummy memory card placeholder and power button spacer for the SCPH-79001. I have not seen any confirmation on permission to share my edits to the files already provided so at least for the time being, those will remain unprovided. Also, please note that the memory card placeholder was intended to be a semi-permanent solution in my build. It's not intended to be inserted and removed easily. You'll most likely have to open up your case in order to remove it once plugged in. The power button is intended for tactile switches such as this one with a 5-8mm pole in the center.

Card.jpg

Power.png

EDIT: In an effort to cut down on excessively posting the same thing, here is a link to the thread containing all of my contributions to this project.

Attachments

Last edited:

Wesk

Undervolting....
Staff member
As mentioned previously, here are files from my personal contributions including the dummy memory card placeholder and power button spacer for the SCPH-79001. I have not seen any confirmation on permission to share my edits to the files already provided so at least for the time being, those will remain unprovided. Also, please note that the memory card placeholder was intended to be a semi-permanent solution in my build. It's not intended to be inserted and removed easily. You'll most likely have to open up your case in order to remove it once plugged in. The power button is intended for tactile switches such as this one with a 5-8mm pole in the center.

View attachment 26785

View attachment 26786
You may be best making a post with your remixed files in the 3D printing subforum as it'll likely get lost in his thread.

You may be best making a post with your remixed files in the 3D printing subforum as it'll likely get lost in his thread.
Just wanted to make sure you were okay with it before I uploaded anything. If that's indeed the case, I'll upload there and link that post here for easy access to anyone looking to print one for themselves while scouring over this thread in the future.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Just wanted to make sure you were okay with it before I uploaded anything. If that's indeed the case, I'll upload there and link that post here for easy access to anyone looking to print one for themselves while scouring over this thread in the future.
As long as you aren't claiming ownership of the original project, the project isn't paywalled, and the original creator hasn't said remixes are disallowed, you're free to post remixed and adjusted versions of projects for community use. If you credit the original project and include a link to it in the post, you're good to go!

You're also free to put the work into cloning any other project that has no publically available files. We generally consider that the work undertaken to replicate another project from scratch is justification enough for allowing it. You'd be surprised how many separate G-Boy and Louii clone projects there are. The exception to this is cloning a project to snipe business market share. We aren't much a fan of that behaviour, but for personal use/community benefit it's fine 99% of the time. Especially if it's a small adjustment to expand parts compatibility and/or make the build itself more accessible, we like those remixes very much

Last edited:

View attachment 26785

View attachment 26786
thx u so much

Just wanted to say, confirmed a build using SCPH-79002. This mb didnt have the lid detection switch on the motherboard itself but instead on that extra board connected via the small ribbon, what i did was trimmed this extra switch board into a rectangle, shaved away the solder mask on both this board and the motherboard and then joined the two boards with a large blob of solder from the underside (see third image), its very rigid and touches the 3d printed power cylinder. I had to use the reset pad pointed out by another user here to get it to power on but otherwise was a pretty straight forward and fun mod.

I still have issues with the sd card but i think its more to do with not choosing a samsung or not using the 100ohm resister.

Still need to order leds for it and shorten the cable runs, its a bit messy.

an internal blueretro mod would be nice for this too

for reference i used a dremel to cut the initial line followed by a dremel sanding wheel attachment for cleaning the edge. I sanded with the wheel at 45deg from top and bottom of the board (effectively creating a triangular edge) to avoid cross plane shorts

20230403_120137.jpg
20230403_120140.jpg
20230403_154028.jpg

Thanks Wesk

Attachments

Last edited:
Just wanted to say, confirmed a build using SCPH-79002. This mb didnt have the lid detection switch on the motherboard itself but instead on that extra board connected via the small ribbon, what i did was trimmed this extra switch board into a rectangle, shaved away the solder mask on both this board and the motherboard and then joined the two boards with a large blob of solder from the underside (see third image), its very rigid and touches the 3d printed power cylinder. I had to use the reset pad pointed out by another user here to get it to power on but otherwise was a pretty straight forward and fun mod.

I still have issues with the sd card but i think its more to do with not choosing a samsung or not using the 100ohm resister.

for reference i used a dremel to cut the initial line followed by a dremel sanding wheel attachment for cleaning the edge. I sanded with the wheel at 45deg from top and bottom of the board (effectively creating a triangular edge) to avoid cross plane shorts

View attachment 26920View attachment 26921View attachment 26923
Thanks Wesk
I do have one query though, does anyone know if there are pads exposed for the standby and active leds usually seen on the power/reset button? I'd love to hook into that and retain some factory led function.

View attachment 26920View attachment 26921View attachment 26923
Thanks Wesk
One more button solution)

Attachments

Awesome mod! The MX4SIO worked for 2 days (100 Ohm, 79001) but now for some reason neither OPL nor ulaunchELF sees the sdcard. It shows up in the browser but it's blank. I probed each memory card point for a short but found none. Any reason why this may happen? (USB works fine)

Edit: It was the SDCard adapter, maybe the stress of pushing the MicroSD in bent a pin or something. Swapping it out fixed it.

Last edited:

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
I see we have the same board. What power switch do I need to get since mine is missing the lid switch? Thanks
I believe the lid switch is just a momentary push switch, so any basic tact switch would do the same job. You might have to shop around to find one that has the same height as the stock lid switch though, else you may run into trouble getting the tact switch to fit under the printed power button

Czeky

Absolutely amazing mod, gotta find a Slim PS2 that has a broken DVD drive, so I won't feel guilty about modding it.

Kinda wonder if it would be possible to remove the 2nd controller port in some way (maybe cutting them in half?).
If possible, then I could move the SD card slot to the 2nd controller port's space (and just use a multitap for more controllers if needed).

woz08

Great design/mod. I saw the nacho video come across my youtube home page and decided to give it a go, I used to mods 360s back in the day.

I managed to find a 79003 with a bad dvd drive cheap. Browsed this thread looking at other peoples mods, put some of my own in and ended up with this last week on my week off.

PS2 MODS

Removed controller and memory card sockets
Internal fmcb memory card
Internal brooks wingman paired to ps5 controller. Soldered to the top shield on stand offs to keep secure
Better sd card adapter

Case MODS

Filled controller and memory card ports
Removed and smoothed usb logo on front. I couldnt get it to print clearly.
Socket for fmcb memory card, clip fit so no bracket needed. Only comes out with a flick of a flat blade
Moved sd card adapter to the right some so it sticks out enough once smoothed, clip fit so no bracket needed. Only comes out with a flick of a flat blade
Thickened up the areas around the rear i/o to be the same as a factory case for strength

Printed on aquila pro. 0.2 layer, 100%infill, 50%perimeter overlap, no supports. esun pla silk copper because thats what i had the most of. Sharpie in the logos to make them stand out a bit.
Bottom 3hrs48, 20.87mtrs
Top 5hrs27, 25.11mtrs

Attachments

Hi! I'm making this mod, but instead of the sd adapter i will use a sd card module for arduino, and i need to modify the case 3d file to fit some other mods on my board (internal hdmi port, internal ssd along the remaining usb port and a couple of toggle switches for managing the game input)..So, I was wondering Do you have by any chance the 3d model of the PS2 79k board?

Hello This is my first PS2 mod in general My console is not recognizing my controller inputs now. It has power to the Controller as i can hit the analog button and the light illuminates any help would be grateful i can provide pictures of my mod if you'd like

Wesk

Undervolting....
Staff member
Hello This is my first PS2 mod in general My console is not recognizing my controller inputs now. It has power to the Controller as i can hit the analog button and the light illuminates any help would be grateful i can provide pictures of my mod if you'd like
Pics will help.