PS2 Ultra Slim

Wesk

Undervolting....
Staff member
Well added some LED's lol

Might ad 2 more but I want to run the system for a few and make sure its stable with the LED's install power draw wise

Let me know what you guys think
You should be able to add plenty more. The PS2 Slim power supply can deliver up to about 40 watts of power, waaaaay more than the console needs.

[EDIT] Just make sure you're pulling from the DC-in and not from random regs on the board.

You should be able to add plenty more. The PS2 Slim power supply can deliver up to about 40 watts of power, waaaaay more than the console needs.

[EDIT] Just make sure you're pulling from the DC-in and not from random regs on the board.
I was going to pull from cap's at first and then came to the conclusion that that's not such a great idea, so probed some resistors for a good stable 3.4v source.

I wanted to go for subtle lighting but im thinking adding 2 more would be okay.

Well added some LED's lol

Might ad 2 more but I want to run the system for a few and make sure its stable with the LED's install power draw wise

Let me know what you guys think

[Update]
Added pics of the testing area lol
I love it looks great buddy

Do you think you could show where that would be? I'd thought of maybe wiring one green/red LED for status indication since we're taking the stock one out (whichever of the ones from the link that would be, lol) but wouldn't know where to wire that in lol.

Her just got my Shepard analog hdmi would you be able to show my what pins you used and how you wired it
Seconding this. I have enough to do the main build now but when I buy the nice shell I'd like to have that HDMI port. Also did you cut that opening for it out of the top shell or no? I have a nearby makerspace that did me a solid for prototyping casing.

Last edited:
Do you think you could show where that would be? I'd thought of maybe wiring one green/red LED for status indication since we're taking the stock one out (whichever of the ones from the link that would be, lol) but wouldn't know where to wire that in lol.

Seconding this. I have enough to do the main build now but when I buy the nice shell I'd like to have that HDMI port. Also did you cut that opening for it out of the top shell or no? I have a nearby makerspace that did me a solid for prototyping casing.
I do my own cad designing so I added the shapes in the top but I actually figured out the wiring and am working on a top shell design that will hold the Shepard hdmi pcb in place should have the Stl done tonight and will test pront tonight

I do my own cad designing so I added the shapes in the top but I actually figured out the wiring and am working on a top shell design that will hold the Shepard hdmi pcb in place should have the Stl done tonight and will test pront tonight
Thanks. I've got a place that'll help me get the prototype prints before I buy the big one so this will really help me get the build just how I want it first.

Thanks. I've got a place that'll help me get the prototype prints before I buy the big one so this will really help me get the build just how I want it first.
So I did a test print last night and success. My design to hold the Shepard hdmi pcb works perfect I will e corporate this into wesks original design for anyone who wants to used it

Attachments

So I did a test print last night and success. My design to hold the Shepard hdmi pcb works perfect I will e corporate this into wesks original design for anyone who wants to used it
I'll take twenty lol... although I see you mounted a connector to the wires... how's that work and where'd you get the part?

I'll take twenty lol... although I see you mounted a connector to the wires... how's that work and where'd you get the part?
It works ok I bought a pack of generic connectors off Amazon and they work ok but can be sensitive

icd2k3

Got mine working! Thanks to all the help in this thread!

My motherboard had no lid detection switch, but you can wedge a small tac switch in the corner and it works fine with the 3d printed power button. I'll take some pictures soon (I need to get a better looking shell first), but in the meantime I had 1 ask/suggestion.

Super minor, but I think it would be sweet if the case could support the bracket for the OEM stand (I just think it would look so minimalist & awesome). Again, super minor. Awesome project and surprisingly easy to do.

UPDATE: hacked it together by dremeling out a few places for the OEM stand. A little flimsy, but it works! Added a pic. Please ignore the shell… I ran out of black spray paint lol

Attachments

Last edited:

icd2k3

I was going to pull from cap's at first and then came to the conclusion that that's not such a great idea, so probed some resistors for a good stable 3.4v source.

Do you happen to have a full pic of the pads where you have those LEDs wired up (and what type of leds you're using)? I saw one of them, but the bottom part of the pic was cut off... I love the look, and would like to add it to my build, but I'm a bit of a newbie and I need paint-by-numbers :D

Do you happen to have a full pic of the pads where you have those LEDs wired up (and what type of leds you're using)? I saw one of them, but the bottom part of the pic was cut off... I love the look, and would like to add it to my build, but I'm a bit of a newbie and I need paint-by-numbers :D
Seconding this, although in my case I was looking for a led that changes colors based on the power state (red for standby, green for on, just like OEM)

I'd love to see a trimmed 700XX model with a DVD delete and internal ssd (removed from its case)

mknrls

I'd love to see a trimmed 700XX model with a DVD delete and internal ssd (removed from its case)
Unfortunately won’t be possible. The 700xx model have components going the full length of the board. Make it impossible to trim.

Last edited:
Unfortunately won’t be possible. The 700xx model have components going the full length of the board. Make it impossible to trim.
I know it's not as easy nor as much could be trimmed but if almost anything in addition to the DVD can be removed...

Wesk

Undervolting....
Staff member
I know it's not as easy nor as much could be trimmed but if almost anything in addition to the DVD can be removed...
Sure, if you don't want the PS2 to work you can surely remove over half of the required chips to have a 700xx board fit in the Ultra Slim case.

1677820560349.png

borg

wesk ive never cut a pcb im Leary on doing it in the fear of damaging it did you by chance make a print of the shell to support both usb's and the power switch ?

Not at all. This mod fits the 79k series only.
i love how you thought this mod up very nice and a great job sir.