PS2 Ultra Slim

Bought a couple 79K's with bad disc drives today. Put in an order for a couple resin printed cases from PCBway as well, and I'm going to print a test case on my machine to get an idea of the scale. This looks like it's going to overtake my backlog of projects. :)

EDIT: Have you confirmed that no other slim motherboard revision would work with this mod?

Wesk

Undervolting....
Staff member
EDIT: Have you confirmed that no other slim motherboard revision would work with this mod?
I'm very sure. Some of the 79k models don't have the lid switch on the mainboard like shown in Tito's video so in that case you can just use a tact switch for the power button.

Last edited:
Gotcha. Only curious because it was a pain finding 79k models that weren't overpriced, even the "as-is" listings. Thanks for the reply.

Hey thanks for the mod! I had to wire a switch in like you mentioned in an earlier post because there wasn't one on my motherboard haha (I'll upload a pic in case anyone needs a reference).

Just wanted to ask if the OPL version that you need for the SD card has cheats or will have the option for cheats in the future? Thanks again :)

(Edit: )
Managed to get the cheats working

Attachments

Last edited:
Awesome mod my friend
But i have a question for you is a 9k that much bigger than a 79k ?
Because a 79k console is impossible to get in Germany :(
I am on the same situation... Impossible to get an 7900x on Spain...
Only 50,70,77, and 9000x versions...

Hey thanks for the mod! I had to wire a switch in like you mentioned in an earlier post because there wasn't one on my motherboard haha (I'll upload a pic in case anyone needs a reference).

Just wanted to ask if the OPL version that you need for the SD card has cheats or will have the option for cheats in the future? Thanks again :)

(Edit: )
Managed to get the cheats working
Check the official post on PSX-place

hello, im wondering if i can do just the internal SD card adapter on a SCPH-70012. i ask because my ps2 slim disk tray stopped working recently, and i want a cheap easy way to do it, since i already have dozens of those micro sd card adapters lying around. i’ve looked around everywhere to try to find a video on someone doing it but haven’t had any luck.

Y2K

"The PS1 Guy"
Staff member
hello, im wondering if i can do just the internal SD card adapter on a SCPH-70012. i ask because my ps2 slim disk tray stopped working recently, and i want a cheap easy way to do it, since i already have dozens of those micro sd card adapters lying around. i’ve looked around everywhere to try to find a video on someone doing it but haven’t had any luck.
I see no reason why not, but a better option is an MX4SIO adapter that just plugs into the 2nd memory card slot. It works the same as the internal mod, but is easily reversed by just removing the adapter from the memory card slot.

question about the 79x
is this one a NTSC - J exclusive?
and do you have any links for donor consoles

also... if i were to use a different motherboard, what modifications to the cases file would i have to make?

Y2K

"The PS1 Guy"
Staff member
question about the 79x
is this one a NTSC - J exclusive?
and do you have any links for donor consoles

also... if i were to use a different motherboard, what modifications to the cases file would i have to make?
Nope, 7900x was released in the following regions:

79000 - NTSC-J
79001 - NTSC-U/C
79002 & 79003 - PAL

Every other PS2 slim model is incompatible with this project since the 7900x series is the only series of PS2 slims with the small enough motherboard. The 9000x went to a larger board with an internal PSU, and thus is not compatible.

I see no reason why not, but a better option is an MX4SIO adapter that just plugs into the 2nd memory card slot. It works the same as the internal mod, but is easily reversed by just removing the adapter from the memory card slot.
my only reason for wanting to do it internal is because i already have the wires, sd card and adapter lying around, so it’s literally free, whereas the $10 memory card, which isn’t that much but i’m going for a budget build

Wesk

Undervolting....
Staff member
my only reason for wanting to do it internal is because i already have the wires, sd card and adapter lying around, so it’s literally free, whereas the $10 memory card, which isn’t that much but i’m going for a budget build
As far as I'm aware the internal SD mod should work on all PS2 models.

As far as I'm aware the internal SD mod should work on all PS2 models.
ok, idk if i did something wrong but i can’t get my ps2 to read the sd card, how do i install everything, i’ve looked through youtube for anything and haven’t found anything

You'll need to provide pictures of your soldering/wiring.
it’s not pretty, but i’ve triple checked that none of the wires are touching. you will have to follow the wire to see where they meet up, i didn’t have more colors

Attachments

Last edited:

Wesk

Undervolting....
Staff member
it’s not pretty, but i’ve triple checked that none of the wires are touching. you will have to follow the wire to see where they meet up, i didn’t have more colors
You also need to mount the drive in OPL, there is a setting in OPL called "automount" or something similar which will load the contents of the card when OPL loads.

If you need further help you'll need to start your own troubleshooting thread in the Sony subforum: Here

Merk

Is there a guide on how to add the power switch i ended using a 79 that didnt have the lid switch.