Worklog PS2 Trimming Initiative

Bakuku

Portables
FMCB only. I see little point in getting the disc drive functional on a smaller trim because you can already make the motherboard the diameter of a CD pretty easily with no relocations.
I'm asking because despite the handiness of FMCB, a DVD drive looks very nice! Look at the one bought from Ashen. Goddamn that thing be Sexy!

It would still be possible, right? And if so, would watching DVD's work as well or would there be some Macrovision security measure your' DAC can't bypass?

greets

Noah

retired
Portables
I'm asking because despite the handiness of FMCB, a DVD drive looks very nice! Look at the one bought from Ashen. Goddamn that thing be Sexy!

It would still be possible, right? And if so, would watching DVD's work as well or would there be some Macrovision security measure your' DAC can't bypass?

greets
Lmao are you fucking serious

Slot loading disc drives look nice on the Wii but we're not wiring those up now are we?

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
The only reason I can see for keeping the disc drive functionality is for a disc drive replacement chip to make it so you don't have the issues that come with USB loading w/ FMCB. The disc drive would not only reduce the battery life and portability of the system, but would also increase the hassle involved due to having to carry a bunch of discs that can get damaged easily.

Bakuku

Portables
@cheese,

Well I understand that, but Mobo chip for the DVD drive in tandem with FMCB for me would be the best option PS2 Portable wise

Luke

Portables
Meh, I kinda see where you're coming from with the coolness factor of keeping the disc drive; it's the same reason I refuse to make an n64 portable with a flash cart... despite the fact that it would be sleeker and I wouldn't have to carry the games around. Feels more authentic!

I wouldn't personally feel the same way about a system with a disc drive though because it seems way more burdensome then an n64 cart slot... and yeah if you want to keep it you don't need a god-trim anyway because of what Gman said.

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
Ashen barely had to do any trimming for his portable--exactly my point. Seeing as this trim (which is fairly basic) removes both the disc drive laser and motor ics, it would not be ideal or realistic to gain functionality back.

If there was a disc drive replacement modchip for the 79001 then you might have a better argument.. I believe the only better option would be to use a 77000 motherboard (I think?) And do hdd game loading but the other revisions do not have as much potential for trimming.

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
I cut the board a few more mm in, real close to the max cut for these relocations. I also have been working on a custom pcb for the video dac, it works and is way neater than my ratsnest prototype. The trimmed PS2 makes the board look bigger but in reality it is only 1.12x1.12 inches.
20170406_114241_zpswhf50t7r.JPG

Last edited:

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
Took off the video encoder! Pretty sure I have removed every component that is not directly necessary except for the audio dac which I will work on sometime. All the surrounding components can be removed except for two pullup resistors for SDA and SCL. Although there are no other devices that I am aware of that connect there, the pullups were still required for the board to boot.

20170426_211846_zps2blhzxpo.JPG

Viva la revolución

Seriously, between Lightning's DEV9 stuff, and your trimming and documentation work, the PS2 will be alive for portabilzing.

:D

How exactly did you figure out that the resistors were needed?
I'm guessing since "the board won't boot without them" ;) and since it's likely one of the few bidirectional communication lines, it was likely to be that. Either that or just trial and error.

EDIT: or, even more efficiently, he took a component off, tested, if it still booted, rinse repeat until you find all the needed components and all of the ones you can remove

Last edited:

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
Yeah it was mostly trial and error. It does kinda make sense since they should be bidirectional. Removed the video encoder--board still booted. Removed all the components--board did not boot. And removed/resoldered the pullups twice now for completeness and board just puts out a black screen without them.

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
Gman, you're amazing and we all now in awe of your genius. But please... Photobucket...

Why...
I only do it to inconvenience you guys.

Ok this is pretty much as far as you would want to cut without being insane or making irregular cuts. Cutting any further will require relocating the ethernet IC which as far as I am aware, it is still required for boot. Also any further and the voltage relocations will probably get tricky.

So here are the boot requirements for this trim:
-4 custom regulators. 5v is not a boot requirement and is no longer present on the board. I am only using it for the logic level shifter and usb. The screens that I have tested will still be triggered without the logic shifter anyway.
-3 voltage lines reconnected
-2 pullup resistors relocated
-1 trace reconnected for the ethernet ic
-Reset tact

Of course you won't be able to see anything and will require to solder 24bit RGB, h/v sync, and video clock for a video dac if that is the route you want to go. After all this work, the board is about the same size as an OMGWTF wii.
20170427_155652_zpshw5ooxst.JPG

20170427_155755_zpstbf61mzk.JPG

Excellent work my dude!!!! So what will this new cut be called? or is OMGWTF the highest accolade for board trimming?

Also isn't funny how similar the two are in terms of component arrangement?

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
Excellent work my dude!!!! So what will this new cut be called? or is OMGWTF the highest accolade for board trimming?

Also isn't funny how similar the two are in terms of component arrangement?
The first trim I did is a good trim--only requires custom regulators. This is a pretty difficult intermediate trim and any further will be insanity with the density of the wiring required.

Why not just make PS2 clone board and relocate all the components? Or is that a step too far?

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
Why not just make PS2 clone board and relocate all the components? Or is that a step too far?
that's way beyond my skill level currently. That is inspirational though!

Are you planning to do the same thing with the rest of the RGB lines as you did with the pull up resistors? Because you've cut off most of the vias