Worklog PS2 Trimming Initiative

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
Any progress made with this?
I pretty much have all the documentation and materials to do a modest trim but my main focus recently has been on figuring out how to get video without the video encoder so I can cut it off and do a super trim. I've had mixed results so far trying to get usable video, hoping to have a break through soon.

Bakuku

Portables
I pretty much have all the documentation and materials to do a modest trim but my main focus recently has been on figuring out how to get video without the video encoder so I can cut it off and do a super trim. I've had mixed results so far trying to get usable video, hoping to have a break through soon.
Would you care to further explain those mixed results? I'm curious towards what you have achieved.

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
Would you care to further explain those mixed results? I'm curious towards what you have achieved.
I wired up a 24-bit Video dac along with a logic level shifter for h/v sync. The Blue and Green pixels are working which basically proves it is completely possible but for some reason the red pixels are not working. I'm positive it is not the wiring, I've checked continuity against the pinout several times. I believe it has to do with how the chip is configured. @Aurelio has been a huge help to me with this, it was actually his idea to try it in the first place. So, the PS2 video is a 15kHz signal which is a big no no for pretty much every VGA LCD module except for like 2 that I know of. I am not entirely sure where I will go from here. I would like to get this mod working but there also needs to be a better solution to get 30kHz video.
20170224_175728_zpsz9mtsjwz.JPG

Last edited:

Bakuku

Portables
I wired up a 24-bit Video dac along with a logic level shifter for h/v sync. The Blue and Green pixels are working which basically proves it is completely possible but for some reason the red pixels are not working. I'm positive it is not the wiring, I've checked continuity against the pinout several times. I believe it has to do with how the chip is configured. @Aurelio has been a huge help to me with this, it was actually his idea to try it in the first place. So, the PS2 video is a 15kHz signal which is a big no no for pretty much every VGA LCD module except for like 2 that I know of. I am not entirely sure where I will go from here. I would like to get this mod working but there also needs to be a better solution to get 30kHz video.
Innolux AT050TN22 with KYV-N2-V1 driverboard supports 15Khz signal. Tested on my GameCube and the bios screen shows.

Have you tried playing with the PS2 system menu settings to switch video signals and forcing progressive mode on games with hacks?

I also see you're using 5 regulators! That's impressive. Care to further elaborate on that as well.

If I read correctly you are not tapping H/V signals directly from the console but getting them produced on the DAC right?

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
Innolux AT050TN22 with KYV-N2-V1 driverboard supports 15Khz signal. Tested on my GameCube and the bios screen shows.

Have you tried playing with the PS2 system menu settings to switch video signals and forcing progressive mode on games with hacks?

I also see you're using 5 regulators! That's impressive. Care to further elaborate on that as well.

If I read correctly you are not tapping H/V signals directly from the console but getting them produced on the DAC right?
I have attempted that with no difference in output.

I am running the 1.7v and 1.8v lines with 1.75v

I am using the 24-bit RGB, the video clock, and h/v sync all from the ps2 cpu.

Bakuku

Portables
I have attempted that with no difference in output.

I am running the 1.7v and 1.8v lines with 1.75v

I am using the 24-bit RGB, the video clock, and h/v sync all from the ps2 cpu.
Can you show me where h and v and the rgb lines are tapt?

ShockSlayer

the real
Portables
please do not ask!!!! I will NOT respond
I'd assume Gman will post everything once he's got it all working the way it should be, similar to how we did the OMGWTF trim(I had posted a lot of relocations and stuff in the SSWiiT thread before the guide was released.)

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
I'd assume Gman will post everything once he's got it all working the way it should be, similar to how we did the OMGWTF trim(I had posted a lot of relocations and stuff in the SSWiiT thread before the guide was released.)
This.

I'd like to add that I got the video dac mod working with all the pixels. For whatever reason, the red output was internally grounded after weeks of troubleshooting on and off. I put in a 12v to ground and that seemed to do it.

Weeks of troubleshooting this board have left my initially clean wiring a bowl of spaghetti. None the less, it is working. The colors could probably be tweaked a little better by setting resistors on the chip, I'll work on that next. Also, the bar on the bottom of the screen is a quirk within the 4" screen, it looks fine on other compatible VGA monitors.
20170319_185635_zpsukcc2bqo.JPG

Last edited:

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
This is pretty much as far as you would want to cut without having to solder to a bunch more traces. I was having an issue where the board would not boot every time I turned it on. I narrowed it down to the 1.8v line(s) and with help from @Aurelio he determined the lines must be sensitive and therefore should be powered from a linear regulator. Since I don't need my Wiis anymore I hacked off the wii ldo and now it boots 100% of the time :)

I haven't wired up the peripherals yet because I will be going smaller very soon..

20170328_163735_zpsxyuvvvym.JPG
20170328_163816_zpsglcift9p.JPG

Last edited:

Matthew

Formally known as Chaos
Portables
Awesome! I can't wait to see what's next!

Bakuku

Portables
@Gman
Like where this is going!
Will the DVD drive remain functional or is this trim based on FMCB mode only?