PS2 refuses to turn on with batteries

The batteries are brand new and i believe i soldered the positive and negative wires to the correct spot, (the 8v red areas in the guide), but it refuses to turn on. The PS2 isn't dead, because it turns on when plugged in. Sorry I'm a complete noob, kinda, sorta. I gave up on trying to portablize my ps2, and decided to come back to it. Any halp?

Portables
what pms are you using? you can try plugging dc into the pms as with mine it won't run off batteries unless you momentarily plug dc in. if i shorted or disconnected batteries at all, it would go into this same state until i plugged it into dc power.

Beforehand i would check with a multimeter to see if those points you mentioned are actually getting any voltage, when i checked mine it only outputted around a volt in that state.

Last edited:

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
It would help if we had some pictures of what it is you are doing exactly

It would help if we had some pictures of what it is you are doing exactly
Sorry it was glitching out and not letting me upload pictures. I'll upload them when i get home tonight

-merge-

what pms are you using? you can try plugging dc into the pms as with mine it won't run off batteries unless you momentarily plug dc in. if i shorted or disconnected batteries at all, it would go into this same state until i plugged it into dc power.

Beforehand i would check with a multimeter to see if those points you mentioned are actually getting any voltage, when i checked mine it only outputted around a volt in that state.
I used the standard trim so I'm not using the ps2 pms, just a 2S BMS for 18650s. Sadly my multimeter broke, so i have no way of testing, until i get a new one

I'm pretty sure you have just wired ground and power to the same place which is not a good idea, the black wire should be going to ground.

Any of those bare copper areas can be used as ground or check the trim guide for pads. The red wire is correct though.

Edit: That also looks like a rocker switch for the reset button, it's probably better to use a momentary switch when you actually build the portable and use the rocker switch to cut power from the batteries when the device isn't in use.
I soldered the negative wire to the ground before and it still didn't work, so i thought if i soldered to there it might work. I'll definitely check the switch out. Thanks for the help guys! I've been so stressed out.

Last edited:
Portables
I'm pretty sure you have just wired ground and power to the same place which is not a good idea, the black wire should be going to ground.

Any of those bare copper areas can be used as ground or check the trim guide for pads. The red wire is correct though.

Edit: That also looks like a rocker switch for the reset button, it's probably better to use a momentary switch when you actually build the portable and use the rocker switch to cut power from the batteries when the device isn't in use.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables

Yep that's exactly what he's done.
1616629418177.png

You've soldered the positive and negative wires to the 8.5v line, you need to move your ground wire to a ground location.

Yep that's exactly what he's done.
View attachment 16495
You've soldered the positive and negative wires to the 8.5v line, you need to move your ground wire to a ground location.
Sorry for my noobness, but I'm assuming the ground wire is the negative right? (BTW i have my wires color coded. Red equals positive, black = negative, if you already didn't know).

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Yes, ground is the negative wire

Portables
Can't see the other side of the board but I see only one set of power wires, to me it looks like the 8.5v relocation the the linear reg is missing as well

Attachments