PS2 Portable

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
This was built from a DataMax case I bought a few years ago, finally found the perfect use for it!

It's a pretty standard PS2 Portable:
5.6" screen with RGB using VGA converter to get H/V sync
Freemcboot 8mb memory card on slot 1
128mb memory card on slot 2
USB loading games through OPL
5amp Lithium ion batteries
Switching Headphone Jack

20160902_214920_zpsku1xxy7t.JPG
20160902_215012_zpsu7prnrn8.JPG
20160902_2156470_zpsivsaooqd.JPG

Last edited:

Shank

Staff member
Portables
Gman actually has a basement dungeon filled with enslaved children trained to make portables. Thats how he makes them so fast.

Bakuku

Portables
Nice Gman! Looks great.

Been wanting to make a PS2 portable myself lately.

Care to show some gut photos?

Portables
3/4
Nice!! I've been looking all around different forums and Google etc. to try and find the answer to this but; is there a good thread or something on the subject of hooking up the video "RGB using VGA converter to get H/V sync"? Sorry to ask, I just can't seem to find a straight answer anywhere... been searching for weeks and can only find bits and pieces. I have all the parts to start a PS2p using a PS2 Slim SCPH-79001 system but this eludes me.

I apologize if I'm asking a stupid question, still more of a "noob" trying to finish up my first GCp now. :)

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
I used one of those cheap vga converters for ps2. But as a vga converter, the thing sucks. We just want to use it as a sync seperator. The idea stems from Ashen when he figured it out during his ps2 adventure. Take the RGB signal from the ps2 and wire it straight to the screen. Then take Y svideo output from ps2 and wire it to the Y input on the vga converter. Then you can wire the H/V sync lines from vga converter to your screen. This isn't a perfect solution because the screen momentarily turns off when the image is black like switching from a cutscene. It's barely noticeable but at least the image is beautiful.

Portables
3/4
Are you referring to a VGA converter something like the one below?
https://amzn.com/B003NUN7DG

Ahhh, yeah I seen and read over a lot of Ashen's posts for his PS2p but couldn't figure out what he did to finally get it to work, lol!!

Thanks for helping out, your portable is AWESOME, just hope mine comes out half as good, lol!! :D

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
Are you referring to a VGA converter something like the one below?
https://amzn.com/B003NUN7DG

Ahhh, yeah I seen and read over a lot of Ashen's posts for his PS2p but couldn't figure out what he did to finally get it to work, lol!!

Thanks for helping out, your portable is AWESOME, just hope mine comes out half as good, lol!! :D
No I used a cable like this

Portables
3/4
Dang Amazon and their crafty marketing, lol!! My link came out as an ad too... I had to click the "Share" to get it to give me a real link to share.

Thanks again for your help!! I can't wait to get started on my PS2p project, this has been the biggest hold up for me so far was the VGA video. :)

Qual cabo você usou como conversor VGA? (não apareceu a imagem) alguém já tentou o CI LM1881 + modchip Matrix? No Menu do modchip tem uma opção para usar VGA. Obrigado! (Desculpe eu falo Português)

BocuD

Portables
Translation:
Which cable did you use as a VGA converter? (You didn't show it in the image) has anyone tried the CI LM1881 + modchip Matrix? In the Modchip Menu you have an option to use VGA. Thank you! (Sorry, I speak Portuguese)
This is just using translate, nothing special

Translation:
Which cable did you use as a VGA converter? (You didn't show it in the image) has anyone tried the CI LM1881 + modchip Matrix? In the Modchip Menu you have an option to use VGA. Thank you! (Sorry, I speak Portuguese)
This is just using translate, nothing special
no need to apologize, Your translation is spot on, even the grammar.

BocuD

Portables
no need to apologize, Your translation is spot on, even the grammar.
Hooray, another dutchman! Thats one of the first I have seen on this entire forum. Waar in Nederland? translation: Where in the Netherlands?

BocuD

Portables
Ik kom uit Tilburg
Translation: i'm from tilburg​