Worklog PS2 portable (not named yet)

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
That is a lot of batteries, it will be very heavy to hold.

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
You may want to extend the hinge part that sticks into the tube on the left, seems like that could be a weak point... Also make sure you can put your cables through it, the inside may be a touch too thin... You may also cover the vent on the left with your hands, probably scoot it a little closer to the center.

The external memory card looks pretty neat :P

You may want to extend the hinge part that sticks into the tube on the left, seems like that could be a weak point... Also make sure you can put your cables through it, the inside may be a touch too thin... You may also cover the vent on the left with your hands, probably scoot it a little closer to the center.

The external memory card looks pretty neat :P
Thank you, I'll take care of that.

I'm going to test (again, just to make sure) if the driver board can accept YPbPr/RGsB through the VGA port. Does the PS2 outputs video in both RGB/YPbPr and Composite at the same time?

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Thank you, I'll take care of that.

I'm going to test (again, just to make sure) if the driver board can accept YPbPr/RGsB through the VGA port. Does the PS2 outputs video in both RGB/YPbPr and Composite at the same time?
No, RGB and ypbpr are one or the other.

I think I didn't express myself correctly. I wanted to ask if the ps2 composite output is always enabled so you can connect composite+RGB or composite+YPbPr and get video from both at the same time

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
I think I didn't express myself correctly. I wanted to ask if the ps2 composite output is always enabled so you can connect composite+RGB or composite+YPbPr and get video from both at the same time
Yes

Well, after a lot of time I have received a message saying that my battery capacity testing PCBs will arrive in 1-2 days and I have my last exam this Friday so this is going to be a weekend full of testing (yay, at last some free time to work on my project, I'm almost crying of happiness) there will be some updates soon, I promise.

I wanted to ask if you do ps3 exploit with rebug latest firmware? Are you gong to do ps3 portables in the future?

Well, I don't have enough time to push this forward so I'm officially putting this aside until (at least) summer. The only thing that I can say about this project: "Mistakes were made".

Matthew

Formally known as Chaos
Portables
Well, I don't have enough time to push this forward so I'm officially putting this aside until (at least) summer. The only thing that I can say about this project: "Mistakes were made".
story of being a portiblizer my friend. Good luck on everything, I hope that you will be able to come back and finish this project soon.

Soooo here I am with news about the project ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I`m posting this so that means that I finally have some time to work on the PS2p. The frame-based desing is actually easier than I expected, bought 2 200x1x1cm wood pieces and started cuting them with 45 degrees angles
IMG_20180728_184521.jpg
IMG_20180728_184526.jpg
mmm perfection made corners

After cutting them I started assembling the 4 frames (one of them is actually a leftover because I misscalculated the top half height:facepalm:)

IMG_20180817_135959.jpg
This is the top frame before sanding the inner part and filling the gaps between the screen frame and the full frame. These frames have been carefully measured so the screen is held mostly by friction (I will add some suport to the cover in the back to make sure that it stays in place)

Once I finished the frames and the top part I started working on the bottom half. I found a small heatsink lying around that has more surface area than the stock one, the wood glue that I´m using works on metals too so I only need to sand a bit the edge and it will be ready to glue
IMG_20180819_155105.jpg
The workbench is a bit messy and the wood on top of the ps2 needs some work. I think that I can make this more compact than I spected and without spaghetti wiring and without hot glue.
I have free space on the left for the connector of the original idea of making a dock

I`m happy to have this rolling again after so much time

I have drilled the holes for the hinge and tomorrow I will be doing some extra ones to pass the cables through. If I don´t mess it up too much the "only" things remaining will be controls (basically the hole top frame) and wiring everything up. I hope this won´t take me more than a week so I can finish it before starting college.

Hinge parts are now glued waiting for the glue to dry
IMG_20180831_192212.jpg

I carved the holes in order to have the 40pin LVDS cable going from bottom to top. As you can see, I started carving the pieces in the middle (don´t worry, the inside of them is a perfect 6mm hole) and then I got some skill to do almost perfect pieces into the top frame and the hinge base
The hinge is gettin tension from 2 screws that makes pressure so friction is created to hold it (if it is not enough I will add a rubber ring spacer)
IMG_20180831_195225.jpg

There´s a big hole to put the screw head trough (It digs deeper making sure that the screw has sufficient wood to pull

IMG_20180831_195232.jpg
A smaller one to be able to pass the screw through and retain its head

IMG_20180831_195240.jpg

The even smaller one as a gideline to the screw (As I mount it the hole will be threaded by the screw making a perfect tight fit)

I´m love with the spoiler thing, it makes it easy to keep everything tidy on the thread :D