Worklog Ps2 portable no title yet honestly

Alright so I'll be updating this as a journal almost maybe? Anyway, I'm actually nearing the end of the process (unless the 3D model I made ends up being really horrible which so far it doesn't look too bad). Let me take you through the process of making it so far though.

Before I start though I'd like to thank the reddit community for inspiring me to do this, because when I went to them asking for advice on how to make a portable-ish PS2 (I was thinking more like a laptop kind of design since it'll require much less design work on my end and trimming and electrical soldering work etc.) and asked them for tutorial, the only responses I got were "You're an idiot you can't do this" so I'm doing it out of spite mostly and I'm going a step above and learned all the things they literally told me I can't do because "you're not an electrical engineer" though honestly the credit absolutely goes to the amazing people of this website that have made so many tutorials and helpful work logs.

I will over time actually include more detail, since I've noticed many people on here asking questions about how to do things or how to wire up certain things, and I've been there with the confusion, so if I can do it, trust me you can, and I'll try and make it as easy on you as possible.

So I started out with a 2D model of it all along with some measuring work I did but that's in a physical notebook.
Capture.PNG

(sorry Gman I know it looks too close to yours, this is my first ever portable or try in working on anything related to electricity, PCBs, modding, etc.)
I wanted mostly to get a general idea of how things would fit inside.

then came the work on the 3D model.

Capture2.PNG

It honestly went through a billion iteration and I've changed so many things about it, but in the end I settled on this (for now)

Now it's important to note that in this version I am by no means competing for size category, for one making or owning one of these has been a dream of mine since I was a kid, and two, I actually want most of the functionality of the console such as multiplayer (And since I've realised that I can actually output video to two sources at the same time by just plugging the original connector) I want it to be dockable, kinda? as well as including the second controller port and second memory card port. for a better version of those latter two please check Gman's mod, mine is most likely going to look horrible.

Currently everything got wired up to the PS2 board to test as well as a tiny trim to the second USB port and it works great (though it is my second try since I accidentally shorted out my first board's IC and at first it was making an audible click and shutting off then I tested two leads on an IC and it literally blew a bit of smoke out (I'm saving that one for a "holy fuck" trim since I believe that the issue is with the regulators a nd if I supply my own the board should come back to life) (also if anyone knows what's doing that, I think it's a capacitor? please let me know)

I just got my 3D printer, an Ender 3, 2 nights ago and it's currently printing the face plate so we'll see how the size of everything goes and whether my measurements were accurate or not. I'll update you all once I'm done, here's the current print going so far.

photo_2019-03-14_01-08-32.jpg

No worries, I have a name for it now, I'm calling it PA2, for Pain in my Ass 2? 3? I think 4 at this point, 12 hours of 3d printing and the parts are too small in some places which meant edits,then 4 hours into printing the lower half after which I realised that I didn't load in the most recent version of the bottom case with the shoulder buttons so I had to restart is just now, but honestly I'm still having fun because it seems that everything is more and more falling into place. Also in the BOM the only listing for the soft tactile buttons is from ebay which I've been waiting on for more than a month now, but you guys can find them for a lot faster shipping on adafruit, they sell them in 10's and the shipping costs 5 dollars for 1 week shipping, but I literally got them today and the ones from ebay haven't left china yet.

Here's the link:
https://www.adafruit.com/product/3101

HA WHO SAYS THAT JUST BECAUSE YOU'RE AT THE SANDING AND ASSEMBLING PHASE YOU CAN'T BASICALLY START OVER FROM SCRATCH ON THE CASE, NOT THIS GUY, case is honestly too thick and makes it VERY hard to press the shoulder buttons, so i need to make it thinner and I'm thinking of ways to have better shoulder buttons we'll see.

Last edited:
So here are a few problems, the case is a little too small so I need a spacer, like literally a few millimetres, 2 of the traces on the controller board are gone because i didn't realise that I was using 450 on the soldering iron and I just scraped them off like an idiot, I still need to find a fan that's thin enough to fit under the board and cool things down enough (Not really sure why when i see so many on here without fans being cooled enough, if anyone can tell me why I really want to know) And finally the audio board I got that has button controls fried at one point and the only ones I have left have no audio controls so i'd really appreciate if someone could suggest to me a good one that has button controls (Vup, Vdwn, mute) that's preferably not in china because the last thing i ordered from china 32 days ago still literally hasn't arrived yet, any ideas?

Ugh alright so, I know I haven't been updating it's mostly because i feel like the whole thing is a mess and I'm kinda unhappy with it, I have so many questions but I'm worried of posting it all in threads as they come and be annoying, I'm not really sure where else to post them if not inside this thread, but it doesn't seem like anyone is watching this thread, but anyway, so the PS2 is *done*, not really? possibly maybe, kinda, I just feel like it's flimsy for what I want.

Don't get me wrong, there's plenty I like, but for one it's so freaking big and I have so many questions about how to make it thinner, for an example I see people not having fans inside theirs, how?? mine overheats without one and the fan is 1cm on it's own, that makes a great difference when something is literally 5 only to begin with, also, it's a bit wide, how do I for an example use ps vita buttons and ps vita joysticks? Where can I get some of those amazingly tiny controller modules that I've seen around? Where can I get a linear 1.75 volt regulator? Is there a better dac board that I could be using? Is there a better screen that I can be using? How do I do the vga solution? How do I pack things more neatly than I have been? (I'm using ribbon cables) I know magnet wire but wouldn't it be equally messy? Design my own controller pcb like gman has for his gs2? Definitely would love to learn how but have no idea how to do so. gman seems to be able to fit the thing practically in the shell of a gba sp, how??? Mine is the size a wii u case almost.

Here are improvements that I can think of:
1. Ditch the 18650 batteries and use lipo instead, more expensive but space savers, so my sides can go in a little bit as long as I use ps vita buttons and sticks,
2. Remove the controller and memory card ports, they're nice, but unnecessary especially since it's a 5 inch screen and no one can really play split screen on it.
3. Do the advanced trim for some space saving although it's really not that much.
4. Figure out a cooling solution that's enough on it's own without a fan (please help I have no idea how you guys do it.
5. Make a circuit board that includes a bullion things in one to save space, maybe one that has a controller chip, and the audio dac, and the battery charger.
6. Case design ideas that help slim things down because they're technically more protruded out on one side or whatever.
7. How do you add a usb b or c to the case instead of the barrel charger? and for data management to the usb stick? is it what I think it is? Just literally sticking a wire from the data lines of the usb c to the usb a port and the vcc and ground from the usb c to the charger board? or is there more to it?
8. How can I design better shoulder buttons that are actually at the shoulders of the device?

The thing is though, I feel like that's too ambitious, but the ps2 is literally my favourite console, I know that I can make a slimmer wii, or nice gameboy mod, or some raspberry pi thing, but all of those are not what I want, although I will be doing a wii at some point (most likely when the regulator circuit drops on the store here)

I really need help with explanations and stuff that I haven't been able to find anywhere else

Like for an example, the gman advanced trim and the one that he does for his projects are different, I see that all of the capacitors are gone on those, he's said they're more involved but from the pictures of his trims for the gs2 I can't really identify what's different, I'd love an explanation on how he daisy chains the custom regulators together, I've found the page for the custom regulators but nothing on how to daisy chain them like that.

Those are not complaints, I'm just overwhelmed with possibilities and a billion questions and I want to learn so much more about this stuff, it's exciting but also confusing as hell because I can't find this information anywhere, if anyone could help I'd REALLY appreciate it.

I feel almost proud of the first project but also really ashamed and like it's unfinished for what it is. Honestly one of my things is I might end up making a laptop next just so I can have a ps2 that you can actually play with other people on because I REALLY want to share games like time splitters future perfect and dbz sagas or bt3 with people who weren't there with me as a kid and didn't get to experience this stuff or see how freaking amazing those games are, in i feel like with that I can cram more things in and have it be thicker without that being an issue right? Maybe that's the direction I should take with this next? It WOULD allow me to use fans and whatever else I need with no issues, I'd have to learn how to design a hinge though and pass wires through.... I still would want it to be max 7-10 inch screen.... I don't know, if anyone could take the time to answer all those questions that I have I'd REALLY appreciate it, I know it's a lot but I just want to learn more about this subject and participate more and do more projects

Last edited:
I brought a few of these fans, but don't know if they'll push enough air yet, they're super-thin, and came with the added bonus of being sent the wrong fan twice before the seller finally got it right.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Ori...pm=2114.10010108.1000015.2.38695572upYxVy&s=p
Holy crap that's thin as hell, I mean worst case shoving two side by side would possibly work? they're only 3mm in thickness which is a third of the stock fan, I really appreciate that, thank you so much! If you have the time to use them before I've gotten them let me know if they work???

MRKane

2021 3rd Place Winner
Most of portabalzing is reading and trawling the internet for different things to use. You mention a custom PCB and I saw XCK did the same thing and have been musing on it myself - I think it could be a fantastic idea actually, and could cut down on a heap of messy wiring if we could wire straight to jumpers on a PCB.

Most of portabalzing is reading and trawling the internet for different things to use. You mention a custom PCB and I saw XCK did the same thing and have been musing on it myself - I think it could be a fantastic idea actually, and could cut down on a heap of messy wiring if we could wire straight to jumpers on a PCB.
Right, because i feel like most of the space is wasted by the 55 things you have to stuff in there, here's my thing though, that's SO out of my comfort zone and I don't even have a hot air station so it would have to be one of the last things I do for this because I literally can't afford it right now, I ended up getting a 3d printer and all these ps2's (3 of them, 2 broke down on me) and the buttons ordered, and batteries, etc, so I kinda need to save up fora bit again before I start again on anything THAT drastic if that makes sense, I'm just wondering if there's ways to save up on the space for cooling solution, buttons and stuff like that and I would LOVE in the time being to learn more about custom pcb making (I know that there's usually a manufacturer's page on how to use the chips they make, but in all honesty I'm terrified to even think about it because it's not something I feel like I can understand lol

MRKane

2021 3rd Place Winner
Pertaining to fan + heatsink, Stitches suggested this one to me a while ago and I've had zero problems with it:
http://original-power-adapter.com/i...ng-fan-mcf5010m05-05k4990-05k5494-p-5906.html

Pertaining to PCBs I've made a few for assorted projects using Eagle, but Eagle won't cut it for what I was thinking of. Perhaps the BitBuilt competition this year will light a fire under my ass as I've always wanted to enter it!

Pertaining to fan + heatsink, Stitches suggested this one to me a while ago and I've had zero problems with it:
http://original-power-adapter.com/i...ng-fan-mcf5010m05-05k4990-05k5494-p-5906.html

Pertaining to PCBs I've made a few for assorted projects using Eagle, but Eagle won't cut it for what I was thinking of. Perhaps the BitBuilt competition this year will light a fire under my ass as I've always wanted to enter it!
You know what? Not a bad idea, I'll start it after they finish the competition, that way I can force myself to save and give myself a deadline for starting.

As for the fan, how much did it add to the thickness of the project? I want to try and make the next one as small as possible, though for the laptop idea that would probably be a good way to keep it nice and quiet, any idea how gman keeps his fanless??? I'm kinda confused, or does he favour non long term function in the projects? Basically design them to turn off after a while because of heat issues? He personally told me to use a fan but I've never seen him use a fan in any of his projects, how does he manage it?

MRKane

2021 3rd Place Winner
You'd have to ask G-Man what his trick there is - he's several levels above me in terms of knowledge and skill so I'm afraid I don't have the answer there. In theory one could make a temperature control fan which mightn't be a bad idea either.

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
What makes you say that Gman doesn't use a fan on his PS2 portables? The GS2 and Razor definitely have fan vents.

What makes you say that Gman doesn't use a fan on his PS2 portables? The GS2 and Razor definitely have fan vents.
Honestly complete speculation, I mean you can have ventilation holes for the sake of passive cooling too right? And like the razor is just too tiny to contain a fan that I have found online, most of them are 10 mm in thickness and his entire project in the razor looks about 3 cm, add to that the fact that he has a raspberry pi inside the thing and I genuinely don't see where a fan would even fit in there, If he told you how he does it or what kind of fan he can fit into such a tiny form factor PLEASE tell me, because it's crazy what you guys are capable of doing and anything I'm doing is literally following in your guy's lead and trying to learn (and poorly apply) what I've learned through your work.

You'd have to ask G-Man what his trick there is - he's several levels above me in terms of knowledge and skill so I'm afraid I don't have the answer there. In theory one could make a temperature control fan which mightn't be a bad idea either.
I'm not even sure I have the slightest clue how to do that, the only thing I can think of is that if you want to still be temperature controlled you'd have to connect it to the tiny pcb inside of the oem fan that comes with the console, just peal back the sticker and you'll see it, but I'm not even sure how you'd really do it. I tried at one point sanding the crap out of.... Sorry a thought just came to mind... I think I might have an idea, you can use the existing fan as long as you sand it in the right way unlike the stupid way I did it in, see the rod that goes down the middle is connected to one side of the plastic, sand too much and it kills it (that's what I did) but if you sand it from the other side and cut the steel rod accordingly, theoretically you could make the fan that comes with the console as thin as you need it to be.... I might try this actually as a cost saving measure, and as an added bonus it temperature controls on it's own, I'll post pictures tomorrow to explain my thinking.

Also as a possible solution to my issues while keeping things on the cheaper side, I'm redesigning the entire case from the ground up (I think it's still technically the same project? When does a project actually end?) I'm trying to implement some ideas of my own along with things I tried learning from the G-Wii, I'll explain later when I have everything together.

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
All my ps2 portables have used a fan. You need a fan.

All my ps2 portables have used a fan. You need a fan.
What fan do you use gman?? Help a friendo out, all the fans I’ve found are bulky and about 1cm in thickness, mrkane suggested a really low profile one that’s 3mm thick though He’s never tried it so we’re not sure if it would even work, your razor is small as heck so the fan must be too right?

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
I use the 7mm and 1cm thick fans

I use the 7mm and 1cm thick fans
It's crazy how you can fit something like that in the razor, I'm struggling to fit a cm fan in my giant 5cm thick case, any design suggestions? or maybe tricks that you've used? I might be doing something wrong, I have the board facing downwards towards the vents so that I can have better isolation for the thermals and cooling, the only solution I've been able to come up up (I'm working on this now with the new case design) is having a little overhang if that makes sense, basically what you did to all your wii portables for the screen but instead doing it for the bottom of the case to allow a little extra clearance while keeping the sides a little thinner.