Question PS2 plus controller strange issues

Benge

Portables
4 : O-Wii (V1,V2,V2.1)/ BS2
I have tested with 2 - 3 games and I have the same problem, my controller are not recognized.
20210310_231813.jpg

vlc_aw5Ioog8k9.png

The controller is recognized only with gta san andreas !

I don't know why ?
It is wired on the port 1 not on the 2.

Benge

Portables
Ok, after a lot of testing ... strugle ... MAJ OPL and FMCB... install all again ... testing some diferents types of games (EU, USA, FR).
It look like it don't recognize the controller only when I put game in FR (French), If I put EUR rom in english it work !
Screenshot_20210319-080816_Video Player.jpg

I don't know why ?
Maybe OPL doesn't like French

Benge

Portables
After testing some other games it work only with Kingdom Hearts, Crash mind over mutant, GTA San Andreas.
I have tested God of war in fench first and in english after, but I have the same problem : the controller is not detected.

And when I test the controller with the Controller tester (in freemcboot) It doesn't recognize the Stick, so when It is on the PS2 menu it is on digit mode.

I think the PS2 think it is a Digital Controller, and with some game it push it to Analog mode automatically ?
I don't fully understand the code of the Ps2 Plus, so I don't know how the controller change of digital to analog ?

Benge

Portables
Hello, I still have this same unrecognized controller's problem.
Here are some other issues with other games :
Gran turismo 4 : No respond when I move the stick (digital mode), but work with directional cross.
Shadow of the colossu : Nothing, no controller not plugged error message, but none of the buttons work ...
Jack II : Nothing, no controller not plugged error message, but none of the buttons work ...

I wanted to know if I was the only one having this problem with the PS2 plus ???

Hello Benge, I understand that the reported behavior in relation to digital / analog recognition is normal. The game sends the desired behavior via protocol, in the support and reference lonks of the PS2 there is information on the theme. I have code in development on STM32F1, I don't know PS2 either. However the vast majority of problems that arise are due to SPI communication problems, the wiring here is very sensitive, any interference in the lines already causes data loss causing failures similar to those you mentioned.

Benge

Portables
Ok, thank you for your answers @CLAUDIO an @Gman.

So if I understand correctly, it is the games that choose between analog and digital by sending a signal to the controller.
And the PS2plus is incompatible with some games because the code is not quite complete
So is there a way to modify the PS2 plus code so that the controller still always be in analog mode, normally doing that should work with most PS2 games ?
I have already tried modifying things in the code, but it was even worse :/

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
Ok, thank you for your answers @CLAUDIO an @Gman.

So if I understand correctly, it is the games that choose between analog and digital by sending a signal to the controller.
And the PS2plus is incompatible with some games because the code is not quite complete
So is there a way to modify the PS2 plus code so that the controller still always be in analog mode, normally doing that should work with most PS2 games ?
I have already tried modifying things in the code, but it was even worse :/
What needs to be done to fix ps2+ is first set up a good test fixture with a real DS2 controller, the emulator, and a logic analyzer all hooked up to the ps2. Compare how both the controller and emulator behave and fix the emulator to behave like the controller when the difference is found. The difference is going to be very subtle. The PS2 protocol documentation was a bit incomplete online as the protocol has some confusing elements of it like the configuration mode and digital/analog switching. PS2+ code should default to analog mode when the ps2 prompts it to switch. Clearly something is not working correctly but no one has dove into it.

Benge

Portables
Ok, I understand better now !
Thank you very much for this clarification, let's move on to sniff the signal from the PS2 controller.
I am going to buy a small USB logic analyzer with 8 channel on AliExpress, it is cheap, and I saw that it was sufficient for i2c bus type.

I am not sure if I will succeed, but I really want to try, it would be great if it works at almost 100%.
I will make a thread, like this I will share the research, and a PS2 Plus code fork on GitHub to work on it.

Ok, I understand better now !
Thank you very much for this clarification, let's move on to sniff the signal from the PS2 controller.
I am going to buy a small USB logic analyzer with 8 channel on AliExpress, it is cheap, and I saw that it was sufficient for i2c bus type.

I am not sure if I will succeed, but I really want to try, it would be great if it works at almost 100%.
I will make a thread, like this I will share the research, and a PS2 Plus code fork on GitHub to work on it.
Benge I believe he saw it, but a good starting point is the article from https://store.curiousinventor.com/guides/PS2 where he cites good parts of the dual shock 2 modes

MRKane

2021 3rd Place Winner
I looked into it a little bit until I got hit with some health problems that rather changed what I was focusing on in life. I did take some dumps of original controller "handshakes" with the PS2 for games that had issues with the PS+, if you need them I could try and find them again but it was a while ago now.

Benge

Portables
@CLAUDIO Thank you, yes I had already found this site, it allowed me to understand better how the PS2 controller protocol works.

@MRKane Oh, It can be very helpfull if you can find them again, thanks for your help !

MRKane

2021 3rd Place Winner
I think that these should be good recordings. I'll also apologise that I've been unable to do more, check them out, or proof them that they're good recordings. They're all from games that don't recognise the PS2+ and should be chatter from a bona fide Playstation 2 controller. I'm sure it'll be something really simple such as a handshake reply.

Good luck with fixing this last remaining issue - we'll all be keen to reflash our chips when you do get it. And give me a yell if you need any other recordings of the logic as I might be able to dig things back out to do further recordings but I won't put money on me getting it done in a hurry I'm afraid.

Attachments

Benge

Portables
I think that these should be good recordings. I'll also apologise that I've been unable to do more, check them out, or proof them that they're good recordings. They're all from games that don't recognise the PS2+ and should be chatter from a bona fide Playstation 2 controller. I'm sure it'll be something really simple such as a handshake reply.

Good luck with fixing this last remaining issue - we'll all be keen to reflash our chips when you do get it. And give me a yell if you need any other recordings of the logic as I might be able to dig things back out to do further recordings but I won't put money on me getting it done in a hurry I'm afraid.
Thank you !

I will study it little by little, to try to understand everything :)
I would answer here if I need help