Worklog PS2 mini ideas and work log

Portables
Check continuity from this leg of voltage regulator to the power jack if there’s none connect a 22awg stranded wire. That way you’ll get the 5v to the usb.
9997665E-4AB1-446D-BC23-C9AB2F7A94EA.jpeg

I’ve got some 22awg wire coming tomorrow.

Thanks for all the help guys, learning loads already. Very cool community!

Things are going pretty good. I wired up a memory card slot for the back, inspired by customledmods ps2 mini. Wired up a couple fans to keep the heat sinks cool, and they’re working well. And silent. Just not mounted properly yet.

I put some wires on controller port 1 so I can more easily test things as I go with a wired controller. I’m in two minds as to keep controller ports or not. I’ll be using the Mars Pro mod chip, and apparently it requires you to hold a button during boot depending on which device you want to boot from. I don’t know how much of a pain Bluetooth controllers would be with this feature, but I’ll see once it’s installed.

Pictured is also the Bluetooth/Wi-Fi module. This will only be used for wireless controllers, and will likely be mounted underneath. Need to program and test it.

There is also a HDMI adapter pictured. I just want to test it first and consider my options. There won’t be much room. Definitely not enough to put the adapter at the back. I was thinking of having it near the front and solder a flex cable from it to a port at the back.

Im still waiting on USB ports, which I’ve decided I might put on top of the memory card slot. Speaking of USB, I fixed the 5v issue with the advice from you guys by running a wire from the DC jack to the voltage regulator. Im learning, slowly.

And still waiting on the microSD breakout board.

Lots to do, but im hopeful.
572E0C72-B03E-4798-9FE0-40844AA0E6AA.jpeg

Awesome you could also use thinner wires for the controller/memory card slot, I used 30 awg stranded wires.
Thanks. I did consider using 30awg but I’m liking the rigidity of 24/26 on certain things, especially while I’m moving stuff around and working on it. Modchip will be 30 for sure though.

A bit embarrassing.

Lots of progress last night. I hooked up HDMI and rear USB ports, but when I went to test USB I realised my controller wasn’t working, but still receiving power.

Quickly measured the port pads and lots of them were receiving 3.4v, and there was no longer 8.4v. Looking over the board, I seem to have knocked off this component:

6CF84D7C-30D2-48D9-A0D6-2CA8C6617DC3.jpeg

and it’s gone. Could someone please tell me what it is so I can order some?

Portables
A bit embarrassing.

Lots of progress last night. I hooked up HDMI and rear USB ports, but when I went to test USB I realised my controller wasn’t working, but still receiving power.

Quickly measured the port pads and lots of them were receiving 3.4v, and there was no longer 8.4v. Looking over the board, I seem to have knocked off this component:

View attachment 23038
and it’s gone. Could someone please tell me what it is so I can order some?
I don’t think that’s the problem because you just wouldn’t get the 8.4v out of that spot. Can you post more pictures of your wiring

Portables
So 8.4v to the controllers is purely for the rumble motor, unless you're using an aftermarket controller they can do weird things, make sure you don't have any wires crossed for the data lines of the controller

So 8.4v to the controllers is purely for the rumble motor, unless you're using an aftermarket controller they can do weird things, make sure you don't have any wires crossed for the data lines of the controller
I’m using official controllers. The voltage readings im getting are from the pads on the board, nothing to do with the wiring on the controllers.

The voltage readings on the pads are as follows, as if you were looking at them at the front/top of the board.

Controller 1:
3.4 - 3.4 - 3.4 - 3.4 - 3.4 - 0 - dropping - 3.4 - 0

Controller 2:
Exactly the same with the last pin at 3.4 instead of 0.

Portables
Can't say if the data pins always carry a voltage never checked but if the last pin of port 1 is different than the last pin of port 2 you have a short or lost a resistor along the trace of the data line on p1

Attachments

Can't say if the data pins always carry a voltage never checked but if the last pin of port 1 is different than the last pin of port 2 you have a short or lost a resistor along the trace of the data line on p1
The image I posted above highlights the only missing component I can see.

The whole data line for controller port 1 (pin 9) is shorted to ground. There is no obvious reason for this, unless anyone has any possible idea?

I have another 7900x, but would like to refrain from using it if possible.