Worklog PS2 mini ideas and work log

Edit: Messed up the board. Board is now a donor board for another mini 79k project I’m trying. Will post in a new thread sometime.

I’ve been racking my brain with this idea for a little while, and now I’d like to give it a go. I want to share here along the way to see if anyone has some good ideas for it, as while I’m not bad with soldering, modding and repairs etc, my understanding of electronics is still somewhat limited.

The PS2 slim is a very small console, but I’d like it to be smaller. Simply for the reason I think it’ll be a cool project, and I’ll be learning some cool things along the way.

My plan is to reduce the over all consoles size to around 135 x 135 x 25mm. So not a huge difference, but a nice, neat little box I can plug into the family TV. I’ll make a rough case design with some acrylic sheet I have, and later have it all laser cut once I know the exact dimensions and IO positions etc (because I suck at 3D design and this will be way easier).

I’ll be using my SCPH-79003, which I installed a modbo 5 to last year. I have some Mars Pro chips coming soon that I’d like to try out too, so I’ll see what I prefer for the project once they arrive.

I plan to put all of the IO at the back, which involves removing the controller and memory card ports completely, as well as the USB ports. In place, I’ll be using this ESP-32s Bluetooth board that I can connect a couple DualShock 3 controllers to.

As for memory cards, please give me some ideas as I’m not so sure yet. Does OPL have a solution for USB saving?

USB relocation was something else I wanted to ask about. I hadn’t considered trimming a board until now. I find the idea pretty daunting, but I feel trimming just a little would be necessary.

So to trim the right most USB port-section off of the board would be ideal to make that right side straight. Then once the controller ports are off, trim back to the remaining USB port through holes to make the board an almost perfect square. Then simply wire a USB port to the back from the remaining left port holes.

My questions:
Is that trim perfectly safe? I see you guys trim the hell out of your boards but I still have to ask. Will everything still work?
Also, can I just wire two ports from the left port pads? Or should I relocate the right port to an alternate place on the board? Do I need two ports? I’d like to try and keep both if possible.
I was thinking of using this.

As for games, I want to try using MX4SIO for PS2 games, and USB for PS1 games. It’s my understanding that the required version of OPL for MX4SIO doesn’t support PS1 games as of right now, hence the additional USB.
I’ll be using this for MX4SIO.

I think that’s it so far. So if anyone could give me some tips and ideas, it would be greatly appreciated. Especially regarding the trim and USB ports. Seems like a simple project compared to the amazing stuff I see on here, but something I’d just like to try. I’ve ordered the Bluetooth board and micro SD module, so I can give those a go soon.

Cheers!

Last edited:
I like this can’t wait to see how it comes out. I built a ps2 mini years ago and I squared off my board and it worked fine. Here’s the link there’s some pictures it might help you.

Hey, that was a great project! I love the idea of having a memory card slot in the back. Nice to know all is well after the trim too.

I also debated using that exact hdmi adapter. I have one lying around. But thought it’d already be cramped for IO at the back as it is. I may remove digital audio and Ethernet as I doubt I’ll need them.

Thanks for your post. It definitely gives some inspiration.

9295ACDA-D24F-4B68-B1AD-A9B57980E46F.jpeg

So today I did the trim. I’ve decided I’m going to sand the sides down a few mm at some point.

I had a weird video issue which was resolved when I removed the modbo. No idea what that was about, but it seems to be working just fine now.

Ive got some heat sinks on order, and some thermal glue. I’ll use a couple 3.3v fans next to those and see how well that works.

Removed ethernet and audio to make room for USB, a memory card slot, and micro SD slot.

Im now considering putting just the controller ports back on the front, and have the Bluetooth module on the underside of the board.

I also just measured voltage on my remaining USB port pads and voltage is down to about half. Is this normal? This is my poor electronics knowledge showing.

Going to put this project on hold for a little bit until I can figure out why I’m getting some low voltage readings from certain places on the board :( I’m really not very experienced in board work, so if anyone is willing to help, it’d be very much appreciated.

In other news I got my mars pro chips so I’m going to try those out on some other models I have in the mean time. Doing an IDE mod on a 70000 that’ll go well with a mars pro :)

Portables
What low voltages are you talking about is there more besides the USB port you mention?

What low voltages are you talking about is there more besides the USB port you mention?
USB is now reading 1v. It’s (what I assume is) corresponding voltage regulator is reading 1v where it was 5v, and it’s other point is reading 0.6v where I think it was 9v. The fan header which read 3.3v is now 0.7v.

Portables
Make sure you sand the edges smooth make sure there’s nothing shorting might want to check with a magnifying glass.

Portables
That area next to bios is left over superglue from the modchip. I’ve cleaned it as much as I can.
So that linear reg on the bottom left of that photo steps down DC input aka 8.4v to the 5v for the usb port, check that the left leg has continuity to the DC Jack input. Otherwise you may need to run a 22awg wire. 5v output is the right leg of that linear reg you can see the trace towards the usb port pins

So that linear reg on the bottom left of that photo steps down DC input aka 8.4v to the 5v for the usb port, check that the left leg has continuity to the DC Jack input. Otherwise you may need to run a 22awg wire. 5v output is the right leg of that linear reg you can see the trace towards the usb port pins
Right, that makes sense! So would it not be an issue to ignore whatever the cause of the issue is, and just run wire from the DC jack? Is the only requirement of that regulator to give 5 volts to that USB port? I plan on relocating USB to the back anyway.

Portables
Yeah that reg, the one on top of the PS2 and the one on one of those PCB portions you cut off by the usb would all step down the 8.4v to 5v. 5v for usb in the case of the two by the usb ports and video and audio for the one on top, however you didn't trim the line across the top of the board so that 8.4v circuit should still be intact

Yeah that reg, the one on top of the PS2 and the one on one of those PCB portions you cut off by the usb would all step down the 8.4v to 5v. 5v for usb in the case of the two by the usb ports and video and audio for the one on top, however you didn't trim the line across the top of the board so that 8.4v circuit should still be intact
Alright that’s great. Thanks for the advice! So will the trim have caused the loss of voltage to this reg? Or should I be looking for a different cause? Or just forget it and trace from the jack?