PS2 controller PCB files

MRKane

2021 3rd Place Winner
Hello all,

So typically I've finished my PS2p and was left thinking "I wish the insides were cleaner" and then had a crazy idea that'd require me to make my own PCB for handling the controller to come up with a solution. Simple question:
-Are there any PCB files for the PS2 controller freely available out there that I could use as a starting point?

I cannot promise anything will come of this as money is an issue, but I like to bat around ideas ;)

Portables
There aren't any out there but I'm working with Gman and Chaos on PS2+ which will be open source. We're using a PIC16F18876 which has everything needed built in (apart from a couple optional components for rumble)

MRKane

2021 3rd Place Winner
What chance! I was mucking around with PIC chips for the PS2 to N64 adapter project I took over from TuxDC - are you using C or assembly for the code?

MRKane

2021 3rd Place Winner
Fantastic! I'll sit on things for a little while. As of late I've developed an allergy to doing wiring by hand and have been tossing about the idea of doing a portable with as much FFC connecting as possible, mainly because it makes disassembly so much more straightforward :)

Portables
Not sure we'd do an FFC version but it'll be super easy to solder, easier than solder pasting an FFC connector to any PCB. I arrogantly destroyed 2 FFC connectors on Friday trying to hand solder them lol.

MRKane

2021 3rd Place Winner
Actually I quite like the connectors and use them a bit on any PCBs I make custom - mainly I like being able to connect and disconnect things easily, but am always open to suggestions on alternatives!

Portables
Oh I agree, FFC all the way. Not always easy to solder though, especially with smaller pitches.

MRKane

2021 3rd Place Winner
Oh you're not wrong about that! For the last one I made I got the breakout boards and FFC sockets for the Wii U. I only had to solder two but then decided after that I'd buy them pre-made!

My plan would be to use a Wii U case (or similar) with the controller essentially "distributed" around the case and connected together with lengths of FFC. With the present one I've made I've been getting an attack on the button lines when I press start and sometimes get phantom presses. Games still work fine, but I can't get to the settings section of the OPL menu unfortunately.

MRKane

2021 3rd Place Winner
Wow! Your JB welds look really professional too! Essentially that's the sort of think I've been tossing around with the idea of doing, except with more easily detached clips and fewer tangled wires lol

Last edited:

MRKane

2021 3rd Place Winner
I'm crazy impressed that there's only one resistor on the entire thing! The reduction in necessary parts is fantastic!
As for "will I do anything with this knowledge"...well that might be a money thing by the looks of it. You'll have to give us a link when the files for this project are available! :D

Portables
I'm crazy impressed that there's only one resistor on the entire thing! The reduction in necessary parts is fantastic!
As for "will I do anything with this knowledge"...well that might be a money thing by the looks of it. You'll have to give us a link when the files for this project are available! :D
That's a capacitor, on the 3.3v line to smooth it out.

xck

That's a capacitor, on the 3.3v line to smooth it out.
Yes, that's it.

--post merged--

go for the cheapest. but how much will it be?
Which country are you in? I can send you some for free. You only need to pay the postage.

--post merged--

In China, you can find a manufacturer that produces PS2 handles to customize the shape of the PCB. It can be sent to you for free. But I can't afford the high shipping costs.

Last edited by a moderator:

MRKane

2021 3rd Place Winner
In China, you can find a manufacturer that produces PS2 handles to customize the shape of the PCB. It can be sent to you for free. But I can't afford the high shipping costs.
Money is a problem for me also - generally if I'm doing anything I'll really try to drill down the cost of the project as much as I can. Usually I've done my PCB fabrication through pcbway, and the free version of Eagle.

Although sometimes that makes life significantly more difficult in the long run as I'm presently arguing with a USBasp programmer while trying to programme some ATtiny 2313 and ATmega8 chips. While the PIC chips were occasionally temperamental, these ones have been a monumental b*tch.

MRKane

2021 3rd Place Winner
So is this the project you were going to release the files for online? I've had a project form bugging me and was thinking of doing a cost evaluation on it at some stage :)

honestly, these look amazing and are just so bloody small, perfect to use with a portable. should seriously be seeing these on eBay or something.