Proper Workspace

JoJo

Any modding work so far has been done on the floor/kitchen table/living room/pc desk and the like. It's been less than ideal. I figured that if I'm going to do any more electronics work, it needs its own dedicated workspace.
I picked an empty wall of the basement and got busy. Luckily, I had just enough leftover materials from my last project to make a simple, light-duty workbench and some small drawers. It was all built quickly one afternoon during a caffeine-fueled frenzy. (Gotta remember not to drink rockstar on an empty stomach again)

Untitled.png

^CF8C55CEC89C42679A14BF71A4D1ED19B31FD6750BB50F3910^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg

I cut some of the 2 X 4's that I had into 2 X 2's to make them go further. It's simple enough for a dedicated space in the basement. The rest of the build used cheap pine plank wood or 3/4" Sanded plywood. The drawer frame was fun to build because I was able to cut scrap plywood into strips perfect for framing things out.

^AE54C28F38249D43F07CAE7D0D1C9787B49D18CB6970444EB4^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg

The drawers themselves were repurposed 3D filament shipping boxes. I had collected several over a few months and was glad to find a good use for them! I used a hole saw kit to cut perfect holes on their faces. The cuts left rough cardboard all ugly looking, so I custom printed some re-enforcement "finger hole covers". These turned out pretty good and added a touch of professionalism.

In the first photo, you can see where I have more boxes stacked. I plan to make a matching set of drawers for that side later. (I ended up crashing before I could make both :B)
I also plan on adding pegboard to the wall and possibly an overhead shelf later. I don't yet own a bench power supply or any large instruments, but that is soon to come.

Although this isn't directly portable related, it will help me stay better organized and set the groundwork for an awesome bench setup and amazing work should follow..... hopefully......

Last edited:

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
I like it, it's always neat to see stuff like this! Also caffeine fueled frenzies are the best

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
As someone who relies on counter space in their kitchen, I'm jealous. Looks great!