Project Wii U

dababy

Hello everyone and Happy Thanksgiving. I am starting a new Wii portable and attempting to use a wii u gamepad shell because i like how it feels in the hand, its size, button layout and Screen size. Based on everything ive seen I havent found anything like this before and any help would be appreciated. so far i have dissembled the wii u gamepad as much as possible and started cutting the battery well out (because i want to use 18650s) so if anyone has any tips or ideas please let me know

cy

Portables
Nice, I've actually just started work on one as well, good luck with this!

Good idea, but you'll need to learn how to code, because i don't think that rvloader support touchscreen

dababy

yeah im actually learning to code with a computer class over the next couple months so i may include touchscreen if its not extremely difficult. also i was thinking i may be able to incorperate a blutooth module in place of the old one for wireless earbuds/headphones(idk if that will work)

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
If you're going to use 18650s, you will have to extend the back of the case out to accomodate them. Most people widen the battery hatch and stick on a plastic hobby box, or 3D print an extension. You'll also want some 1mm pitch FFC breakout boards for the controls, as you can't solder to the carbon traces Nintendo used in the U. And since you can't use the gamepad's existing screen, you'll need to find a 6.2 inch LCD screen with a driver board that accepts composite and VGA.

MRKane

2021 3rd Place Winner
There's a few projects here that have used the Wii U - I'm very fond of it myself. I was able to squeeze in a 6.5" HDMI screen which had been intended for the Raspberry Pi, but will note that I got very slap-happy with cutting bits off and thus ended up gluing things back together in the end so it pays to have a gameplan when using what's actually a very limiting shell. Good luck!