Worklog [2023 Contest Entry] Project: Wii Go Green!

dababy

So... The first two summer competitions I was here for came and went without any entries from me. However, with two completed portables since then, (gwii and gboy) I've decided to make a portable with a feature that I have not seen been used yet. Solar Power. My goal is to design a sleek portable with several hobby grade solar panels (maybe solar paper) attached to the back. The Console will still use batteries and usb c charging, but it will hopefully also charge in the sunlight during use boosting battery life. as for the console I've decided on a Wii because I have the experience with that, and I am fairly confident this will work. I have already began designing a case through blender and have received most of the parts I need for this build. I plan on using a 5 inch screen featuring vga, digital audio, relocated mx and Bluetooth. As for batteries I chose to use 21700s because A) I had a pair laying around and B) because I want this to be able to run for way longer periods of time than my gwii (only 2 18650s).
I think this should be a really fun project and I wish all the other contestants the best of luck.

dababy

Also for the love of Ashen don't make the case black. It'll cook your stuff
Lmfao alr ig for ashen ill make it some other color. I still need to find a theme game for this lol so color is tbh rn

Retro95

2023 3rd Place
Portables
Perhaps maybe... *Ahem*.... Green? ;)

MikaMaslak

PrankMaster 2022
Portables
I'd suggest ABS if you're 3D printing the case, PLA and PET could get a little warpy charging in the sun.
Don't forget ABS turns yellow and becomes brittle in the Sun and heat due to photo-oxidation. being that it is intentionally going to be exposed this to high amounts of UV it Should have a thick black paint base layer on it.

Wesk

Undervolting....
Staff member
Don't forget ABS turns yellow and becomes brittle in the Sun and heat due to photo-oxidation. being that it is intentionally going to be exposed this to high amounts of UV it Should have a thick black paint base layer on it.
I don't believe this is true for 3D printing ABS as it's the fire retardant in injection molded ABS which causes the yellowing.

...but I could be wrong.

MikaMaslak

PrankMaster 2022
Portables
I don't believe this is true for 3D printing ABS as it's the fire retardant in injection molded ABS which causes the yellowing.

...but I could be wrong.
Sort of correct. Manufacturers would add a bromine compound to ABS plastic to act as flame retardant . Bromine, (which is seriously corrosive stuff) causes oxidation as well and is chemically the same yellowing. This is why a 90s computer that sat in a storage locker for 30 years with no sun will still turn yellow. Photodegradation is just when the ABS is exposed to UV light and oxidation occurs from the polarizing radiation.

I had a mockup of an ABS, 3D printed product at work I left sitting on an adjacent windowcell that turned much more yellow on the top than the bottom after a few months (I'll see if I can get a picture later). Normally this isn't a problem because if there is no bromide you shouldn't be leaving models out in the sun for the time required to have this deterioration :XD: To correct my original comment because there is no Bromine there is no oxidation caused by heat in 3D printed ABS.

Retro95

2023 3rd Place
Portables
That's why ASA filament would be a good choice too. A bit spendier, and same difficulty to print as ABS, but a lot better UV resistance properties.

dababy

ok guys just a minor update i have the general layout of the bottom half of the case. i still need to add posts for the boards im using and the actual wii. my goal for the panels is to have the sit nicely in an indented area and the maybe use silicon or something to secure them.
1686960859385.png

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
You may find it easier to design the case in a CAD software like Fusion360 (it's free and what most people here use to design cases and such)

dababy

yeah i saw that most were using that but i alr had blender. ill give it a shot tho

dababy

Ok so today i got the wii all trimmed up. I think my multimeter kicked the bucket a while ago so i haven’t measured resistance. However the trim looks alr and the edges are smooth as a babies ass so i think its good lol

Attachments

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
This nike swoosh concerns me
1687128622011.png

It looks like you may have damaged C130

dababy

This nike swoosh concerns me
View attachment 28224
It looks like you may have damaged C130
yeah I know... ) : I do have a dead board tho that im prolly gonna transfer the components from. actually I was just abt to ask, what does that component do? Ok j hopefully sorted that out but not positive. How does it look

Attachments

Last edited:

Retro95

2023 3rd Place
Portables
It's hard to tell once we try and zoom in on the photo. The way that component is sitting crooked on the board leads me to believe that the component is sitting on a blob of solder that bridges the two connections/shorts it anyways.

Can you post a higher res pic? if you're using a cell phone set the lens mode to macro shot

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Personally I would redo that repair for safety. You can use some solder wick or just some exposed wire + some flux to suck up the excess solder on the pads

MRKane

2021 3rd Place Winner
Another Blender user! I use both Blender and Fusion 360 - they've both got their place but I also tend towards Fusion for stuff like this. Are you using bool operations for controlling features? I feel like I'm the only person in the world to actually do that.

dababy

Another Blender user! I use both Blender and Fusion 360 - they've both got their place but I also tend towards Fusion for stuff like this. Are you using bool operations for controlling features? I feel like I'm the only person in the world to actually do that.
Lol yeah but was using bool operations. It takes getting used to but works like a charm!